Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:15:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Best Conquistador Period "Large Skirmish" Rules  (Read 5441 times)

Offline MartinD

• Bookworm
Re: Best Conquistador Period "Large Skirmish" Rules
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2023, 12:34:30 PM »
I'm thinking of using the (fairly new) With Muskets, Pilkes & Drums by Partizan Press. I've been after the same 16th C Colonial themed rules/level for my Portuguese and Tupi in Brazil, and they seem to fit, imo.

It's a bit like Hail Caesar for smaller actions regarding the basing too - no set figure count, removal or base size but Small, Regular and Large. So any collection fits really. Also has emphasis on Aztecs and Conquistadors etc - it covers both Colonial and European conflicts in the 16th & 17th C. So there's specific rules for taking prisoners for sacrifice etc.

I was a bit peeved on discovering that both the new versions of Rampant and Billhooks would practically ignore early 16th Colonial, but WMP&D appears to be what I'm after.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2023, 09:09:20 PM »
I’ve always gotten the impression that the Aztecs generally greatly outnumbered Cortez’s forces.  Maybe think about using colonial rules like The Sword and the Flame.  I believe there may actually be a published variant for Conquistadores.

The great majority of Cortez' force were Amerindian allies (Tlaxcaltecs, Tetzcocans, and Cempoala) who greatly resented the Aztecs (Mexica) and wanted to see them defeated.  At the 1521 siege of Tenochtitlan there were 200,000 such native allied warriors.

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2023, 05:44:28 AM »
Martin, thanks for the info about "With Musket, Fifes and Drums".  Have you actually played them? I nearly bought the author's "Back of Beyond" rules, whihc some of my mates did, and having played them wasn't terribly impressed. High production values but lots of loose ends.   

Offline MartinD

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2023, 06:36:44 PM »
I haven't played them yet, they just clicked with me more than the other obvious contender of Pikeman's Lament.

I'm intending to base my Portuguese/Tupi etc 3 to a 40x40 base, so if I fancy I can expand the collection for Pike & Shotte - so was thinking of using 2 or 3 bases per unit. So if they're not to my taste when I play it wouldn't be a big deal. I'm resisting basing them in singles because I fancy some Diorama bases :-)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2023, 03:45:05 PM »
I’ve always gotten the impression that the Aztecs generally greatly outnumbered Cortez’s forces.  Maybe think about using colonial rules like The Sword and the Flame.  I believe there may actually be a published variant for Conquistadores.

The link to The Sword and  the Cross of Gold

https://www.angelfire.com/games3/jacksongamer/aztecs.htm

Very good for your  accurate mixed aztec units, every type has their own melee stats.  Same with Spanish.
This TSATF variation is especially good for large games (ten+ twenty figure aztec units vs 3-4 spanish 12 man units and 4+ indian allies units
« Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 12:30:11 AM by Smokeyrone »
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Online NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2023, 12:38:28 AM »
I’m surprised it was available for free.  Or did you pay for it?

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2023, 04:19:45 PM »
I’m surprised it was available for free.  Or did you pay for it?

Free

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2023, 12:00:19 AM »
SJWi, I would go with Rebels and Patriots.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2023, 06:35:10 AM »
Vodkafan, I thought these were firmly set in the 18th century and Black Powder?  If anything I would have expected a suggestion of "Pikemen's Lament" as an offering from the Osprey stable of rules. Indeed I seem to remember some home-brew Conquistador lists out there somewhere?

Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline Olivero

• Schoolboy
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2023, 08:36:39 PM »
The Chris Peers rules and the supplement " War in El Dorado" can be ordered here https://www.brigadegames.com/Chris-Peers-Rules--Sinister-Laboratories_c_593.html
For Mesoamerican warfare there is the "Civilizations Collide" free supplement for the skirmish system "Feudal Patrol". The supplement can be found here http://www.bucksurdu.com/feudalpatrol/free-supplements (with lots of infos here https://markamorin.com/aztec-conquistador-and-mesoamerican-hobby-projects-posts) and the rules themselves are available from onmilitarymatters.com. They seem to be out of stock at most other places (which is a small surprise as the rules and the necessary (I believe) card deck come at a hefty price (64$, and that's not OMM's idea).