Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:02:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 661
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mutant Chronicles updates/redesigns  (Read 4532 times)

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Mutant Chronicles updates/redesigns
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2023, 10:37:55 AM »
I think the new Cadians are taller and a bit less bulky (which improves their overall proportions) than older GW models. The new Cadians are indeed on 25mm bases (I checked, as GW have started putting a lot of their new "human" sized figures on 28.3mm bases recently... yes, I know. ::)  )

However, I prefer to have a little bit of room on the base where possible, rather than having most figures fill or overhang their base. I admit that's a personal thing in terms of aesthetics, but I also find it has practical applications too in terms of paintjobs not getting scuffed, and models having sufficient space for their bases to placed adjacent to each other on the table too.  :)

My biggest inspiration for this project is Paul Bonner's amazing artwork.  He did some of his best work for the Mutant Chronicles property, in my opinion.

I agree - his artwork in VOR: The Maelstrom and in the old Warhammer games was some of my favourite too. I think Werner Klocke also engaged him to do some artwork for Freebooter's Fate IIRC.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2023, 10:41:05 AM by Major_Gilbear »

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2023, 01:59:59 PM »
I think the new Cadians are taller and a bit less bulky (which improves their overall proportions) than older GW models. The new Cadians are indeed on 25mm bases (I checked, as GW have started putting a lot of their new "human" sized figures on 28.3mm bases recently... yes, I know. ::)  )

However, I prefer to have a little bit of room on the base where possible, rather than having most figures fill or overhang their base. I admit that's a personal thing in terms of aesthetics, but I also find it has practical applications too in terms of paintjobs not getting scuffed, and models having sufficient space for their bases to placed adjacent to each other on the table too.  :)
I like the proportions of the new Cadians and Kasrkin much better than anything else they have done.  I definitely want to stay closer to them, but maybe make the figures a little bigger overall.  Not sure yet.

You definitely make good points about the way figures fit on bases.  Honestly a decent argument for keeping them slightly smaller.

I agree - his artwork in VOR: The Maelstrom and in the old Warhammer games was some of my favourite too. I think Werner Klocke also engaged him to do some artwork for Freebooter's Fate IIRC.
Man I love VOR too and his artwork is a big part of that.  The older Warhammer stuff was good, but for me Bonner really hit his stride in the early 90s.  I'm not familiar with Freebooter's Fate, other than knowing it exists, but it is entirely possible Bonner has done art for them.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Quality gaming, every Thursday night...
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2023, 02:55:44 PM »
I also started working up stats for the Siege of the Citadel Heroes using the Galactic Heroes rules.  I am mostly sticking to the Crew build guidelines, with a few exceptions, to account for the fact that I'm trying to recreate a boardgames' limited scope. The idea that I have is that you pick 4 from this list to run through each scenario.
Your Crew builds look great. As I might have mentioned before, it's ok to "break" the rules in interest of a good game, especially when it comes to making hero types.This thread inspired me to start looking for proxies for the MC universe.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2023, 04:26:33 PM »
Man I love VOR too and his artwork is a big part of that.  The older Warhammer stuff was good, but for me Bonner really hit his stride in the early 90s.  I'm not familiar with Freebooter's Fate, other than knowing it exists, but it is entirely possible Bonner has done art for them.

Honestly, I've always enjoyed his art, full stop. This black and white piece from Advanced Heroquest is one my favourites - simple, understated, highly evocative, and entirely different from all the other Warhammer art I saw at the time. I always thought this character had a bit Clint Eastwood about him too!  lol  His Ork and Imperial Guard art was great too, especially the vignettes.

Anyway, apologies for the thread derailment!

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2023, 05:00:05 PM »
Your Crew builds look great. As I might have mentioned before, it's ok to "break" the rules in interest of a good game, especially when it comes to making hero types.This thread inspired me to start looking for proxies for the MC universe.
Yeah, I tried not to go outside the guidelines too much.  Plus I wanted to leave room to grow the characters via the campaign system, since that is also a part of the board game. 

It shouldn't matter too much in the end since this will be a narrative style solo or co-op game anyway.  If it was two players in competition, I would definitely want to stay aligned with the rules for balance sake.

As far as figures go, they are relatively cheap on ebay and Prince August still has some available for sale.  Maybe look into Wargames Atlantic or Warlord figures for proxies?

Honestly, I've always enjoyed his art, full stop. This black and white piece from Advanced Heroquest is one my favourites - simple, understated, highly evocative, and entirely different from all the other Warhammer art I saw at the time. I always thought this character had a bit Clint Eastwood about him too!  lol  His Ork and Imperial Guard art was great too, especially the vignettes.

Anyway, apologies for the thread derailment!
Oh, I have been a fan since I first saw his artwork too, but my absolute favorites came from Mutant Chronicles, VOR, and later, Shadowrun.

I never had Advanced Heroquest, and haven't seen that piece before.  Definitely Eastwood, lol.

No derailment talking about one of my favorite artists in a thread inspired at least in part by his work.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2023, 02:38:09 PM »
A bit more work on Sean Gallagher:

I decided to change his pose from a resting one to more of a ready stance.  Still WIP of course.  I also changed his claymore a bit to add in a little of the look from the artwork.

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2023, 04:38:18 PM »
Why not put them up for free download under the name "New America Dieselpunk Soldier" or something? Res Nova's product won't be out until next year at minimum, and they will probably look different anyway.

I know you don't want to interfere with the IP holders, but I would think a fan work or two, released under a noncommercial license (personal use only, not to be sold) would be OK.
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2023, 05:01:08 PM »
As far as figures go, they are relatively cheap on ebay and Prince August still has some available for sale.  Maybe look into Wargames Atlantic or Warlord figures for proxies?
Oh, I've never been a fan of the miniatures. I always thought they were too goofy. The Trenchers were the only ones I bought back in the day.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2023, 06:59:24 PM »
Why not put them up for free download under the name "New America Dieselpunk Soldier" or something? Res Nova's product won't be out until next year at minimum, and they will probably look different anyway.

I know you don't want to interfere with the IP holders, but I would think a fan work or two, released under a noncommercial license (personal use only, not to be sold) would be OK.
That's a possibility.  Not sure about free, they did take a fair amount of my time to create after all.  I'll see what the options for upload offer as a creator.  If I post anything I'll let you know.

Oh, I've never been a fan of the miniatures. I always thought they were too goofy. The Trenchers were the only ones I bought back in the day.
Fair enough.  I would definitely say that I am an huge fan of the designs, but not so much a fan of all the executions of those designs.

Again, for proxies, see swiftnick's thread.  He has used some Wargames Atlantic Bulldogs to good effect.  WGA's Raumjager might serve for lightly armored Bauhaus, and even Capitol with head and weapon swaps.  Their World Ablaze and Great War sections might have even better options, but I'm unsure how they scale against anything.  WGA has a pretty versatile and useful catalog.

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2023, 02:15:42 AM »
Sorry to imply that you shouldn't be compensated for your work. I've just found that if you're worried about legal trouble, releasing for free tends to bring less trouble should the IP holders complain.

You have the original files to prove you did these from scratch. The worst they can do is ask you to take it down.

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2023, 09:31:19 AM »
Honestly, I've always enjoyed his art, full stop. This I always thought this character had a bit Clint Eastwood about him too! 

the piece is called 'filthy Harold' so... ;)  I believe this piece was one of the characters from one of the early novels - Beasts in Velvet, and appeared in White Dwarf with the WHFRPG character profiles.

Incidentally Bonner is selling this one, listed at a cool £2,500

Offline BaronVonJ

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • the Baron's Blog
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2023, 02:34:16 PM »
There are half a dozen sculptors out there making a mint off Star Wars minis for Legion and other games (hint, hint). They just call them something else like "The Authority" or "Insurgents". Legion can't seem to get they're minis out there. Meanwhile, companies like Skullforge have new sculpts out the day after an episode of Mando or Bad Batch. Food for thought.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2023, 11:48:49 PM »
the piece is called 'filthy Harold' so... ;)  I believe this piece was one of the characters from one of the early novels - Beasts in Velvet, and appeared in White Dwarf with the WHFRPG character profiles.

Incidentally Bonner is selling this one, listed at a cool £2,500

Yeah, I generally agree, however I would politely counter:

1) The piece wasn't originally named when published in the various GW media... But, much like the (in)famous Al Pacino Dark Angel, I simply recognised the face as a young 'un!  lol

2) Not that I think £2.5K is really a lot of money for attractive original art, but it is sadly nonetheless rather out of my pricing league - otherwise, I'd have snapped it up! ;)

If this is ever considered, I would remove all the unit logos/markings from them for sure. Without those, the models are generic enough; with those, it's certainly infringing.

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2023, 08:55:18 AM »
Sorry to imply that you shouldn't be compensated for your work. I've just found that if you're worried about legal trouble, releasing for free tends to bring less trouble should the IP holders complain.

You have the original files to prove you did these from scratch. The worst they can do is ask you to take it down.
Apologies.  I understood what you meant.  But, it is my understanding that free or paid doesn't really matter in this instance.  So if I release these, it is likely to be paid.  Also, I believe the first step in either case is being asked to remove them. 

There are half a dozen sculptors out there making a mint off Star Wars minis for Legion and other games (hint, hint). They just call them something else like "The Authority" or "Insurgents". Legion can't seem to get they're minis out there. Meanwhile, companies like Skullforge have new sculpts out the day after an episode of Mando or Bad Batch. Food for thought.
This is definitely true. MC is a pretty small IP in a relatively niche industry.  Star Wars is a bit of a Juggernaut in whatever niche it resides.  lol 

Ultimately, it is a case of I'll consider all this stuff and may change my mind. 

Offline eMills

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2023, 10:56:30 PM »
Another update on Sean Gallagher:

Coming along well so far.  The miniatures game mentions the Gallagher Amulet of Deflection in the description, but it never appears in any artwork that I can find.  Nor is the Gallagher family crest ever shown, unlike several other family's Crests that are detailed in the RPG.  So, I thoiught that the Amulet would be a version of the family crest.  That is my stab at designing a simplified one.  I will position it on the baldric, sort of like a fancy buckle.

That's what I have for now.  Thanks all for stopping to look.