Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:06:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689337
  • Total Topics: 118274
  • Online Today: 648
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: [COMMERCIAL] Beasts of Steel - WW1 Tanks Vol. 1 (STLs)  (Read 1500 times)

Offline solsticeminiatures

• Student
[COMMERCIAL] Beasts of Steel - WW1 Tanks Vol. 1 (STLs)
« on: February 08, 2023, 03:28:35 PM »
Hello!

Thought this pack might be interesting to some of you! I'm in the final stages of launching a Kickstarter (hopefully this Friday!) for 4 "lesser-known" tanks that I have made. They are all in 1/56 scale and I have tried to stay as authentic as possible while making some changes in order to make sure it prints well! I have try to keep the models as cheap as possible so as many people as possible can enjoy them! $15 for all four or $12 for the first 50 to pledge!

Here is link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/solsticeminiatures/beasts-of-steel-ww1-tanks-vol1

And I have attached some images of both 3D render and of the test prints. (Keep in mind some issues like the FT-17 having the tracks the wrong away around and turrets not properly fitting has been fixed!)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that the models were printed by n3rdfactory on Fiverr as I don't own a 3D printer myself! (Yet!)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 03:33:35 PM by solsticeminiatures »

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: [COMMERCIAL] Beasts of Steel - WW1 Tanks Vol. 1 (STLs)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2023, 03:35:17 PM »
I recognise the German A7V and the French Renault Ft17 and the St Chamond.

What is the one that looks like a Whippet with a rotating turret?

• Student
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2023, 03:42:46 PM »

It is the machine gun configuration of the experimental Leichter Kampfwagen II which was produced in the last year of the war by Germany. It never saw any combat as far as I know, but I wanted to include it because I made one heavy and one light tank for the French and I wanted the same for the Germans! Apparently, according to some stuff I read about it, though I cant remember where right now, the similarity to the Whippet is simply a coincidence!

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2023, 03:46:45 PM »

It looks to be the German Leichter Kampfwagen LK.II with 7.92mm MG 08 machine gun in a rotating turret.  620 were ordered in July 1918, first production model rolled out in October 10, 1918, the reast was canceled in November.

The Germans were definitely expecting the war to either continue past December of 1919, or expected to be victorious by then because they had a total of 4,000 ordered to be built during 1919.
"May the dice of your God's roll like the breasts of your favorite concubine."  Graeme "Henry" Henderson, Dumfries c1980

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2023, 03:50:07 PM »
Thank-you both. I learn new things every day.  ;)

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2023, 03:52:33 PM »
I participated in the Trenchworx kickstarter that Included a Mk V Male/Female, A7V and FT-17 as well as an early St Chamond and Schneider CA1. Which were 'unlocked' due to the success.

How will these compare?

• Student
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2023, 04:30:19 PM »
I participated in the Trenchworx kickstarter that Included a Mk V Male/Female, A7V and FT-17 as well as an early St Chamond and Schneider CA1. Which were 'unlocked' due to the success.

How will these compare?

Ahh, I didn't know there had been one, I'm still very new to all of this. I suppose the biggest differences would be that mine includes the LKII and that I'm selling STL files while they were selling physical prints. The STLs have the added benefit of you only having to buy one time and then being able to print as many of them as you want.

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2023, 04:46:59 PM »
Ahh, I didn't know there had been one, I'm still very new to all of this. I suppose the biggest differences would be that mine includes the LKII and that I'm selling STL files while they were selling physical prints. The STLs have the added benefit of you only having to buy one time and then being able to print as many of them as you want.

They now sell the STL files for there items as well. 

• Student
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2023, 04:54:23 PM »
They now sell the STL files for there items as well.

Then I suppose the LKII and price. I can see that they sell A7V STL for $15 or 10$ on sale while you get all 4 from me for $15. That means my tanks cost $4 for each.

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 04:58:14 PM »
Then I suppose the LKII and price. I can see that they sell A7V STL for $15 or 10$ on sale while you get all 4 from me for $15. That means my tanks cost $4 for each.

That's why I'm wondering about the quality comparison as well as the ability to switch out turrets and weapons via earth magnets.

• Student
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2023, 05:08:10 PM »
That's why I'm wondering about the quality comparison as well as the ability to switch out turrets and weapons via earth magnets.

Ahh, now I see what you're saying. The quality of the tanks is partly dependent on your printer. The test prints that you can see in the images were printed on an Elegoo Mars 3, I suppose you have to make up your own mind whether or not you find the quality good. Personally, I'm very happy with them. When it comes to switching out turrets via earth magnets, I didn't even know that was a thing until I read your comment so, unfortunately, that is currently not a feature. I suppose I can add the functionality for it if there is interest in that.

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2023, 05:13:25 PM »
Ahh, now I see what you're saying. The quality of the tanks is partly dependent on your printer. The test prints that you can see in the images were printed on an Elegoo Mars 3, I suppose you have to make up your own mind whether or not you find the quality good. Personally, I'm very happy with them. When it comes to switching out turrets via earth magnets, I didn't even know that was a thing until I read your comment so, unfortunately, that is currently not a feature. I suppose I can add the functionality for it if there is interest in that.

Yup, different printers different quality.  Was curious if the quality of printers have changed since 2014.

You might want to consider doing something similar with the magnets, opens up a whole nother world for options.

Hopefully all will go well for you.

• Student
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2023, 05:21:14 PM »
Yup, different printers different quality.  Was curious if the quality of printers have changed since 2014.

You might want to consider doing something similar with the magnets, opens up a whole nother world for options.

Hopefully all will go well for you.

I will definitely look into earth magnets! I also hope it goes well, thank you!

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2023, 06:52:17 PM »
Is there any problem with sponsors coming from the UK, as well as the US/N America?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

• Student
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2023, 02:18:39 AM »
Is there any problem with sponsors coming from the UK, as well as the US/N America?

No, should not be any problems as far as I know because I'm only distributing the STL files