Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:10:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686443
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Transparent bases  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
Transparent bases
« on: March 10, 2023, 08:47:43 AM »
What does everyone think about transparent bases, and could you make them at home?
''Any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed''-Jack Churchill

Offline Citizen Sade

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
Re: Transparent bases
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2023, 09:36:52 AM »
I can see the attraction and yes, you can. See Pulp Alley Dave’s tutorial:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=110555.msg1382384#msg1382384

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2023, 10:00:15 AM »
I would be quite happy to use them for skirmish figures
who could end up in various terrain.
e.g. Pirates (Decking/ Desert Island/Taverns)
       Sci-Fi (Desert/ Jungle/Alien Hive/Space station/Ancient Ruins)
Where having the 'wrong' type of basing sticks out like a sore thumb.

I have bought some, & the bits to 'Make Thin Ones At Home'...
so far used ... one. lol

Offline gweirda

• Librarian
    • Brawlfactory
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2023, 10:45:08 AM »
Being a 'base-minimalist' who sees the goal as keeping the fig(s) upright and as unobtrusive as possible, I'm a big fan.  It helps with the latter (unobtrusive) facet to use a thin, non-shiny material - the 'thin' part makes cutting/punching them out at home easier.

The use of glues/cements to attach the fig(s) is limited a bit by the no-see-um goal so I do some pinning - the extra time this takes is perhaps not much more than what would be spent on elaborate, scenic texturing/basing?

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2023, 12:31:48 PM »
Clear bases have pros and cons just like any/all other basing choices - I expect that you're already aware of what those might be for the most part, so I won't list them all here.

I would say, that for boardgames, thin clear bases can often look quite nice and unobtrusive, and it's usually plastic models that you're mounting on them.

For wargames, especially if you're playing on surfaces that are rough (drybrushed sand for example), I would expect that clear bases would not only look a bit odd, but would get scratched reasonably easily over time too.

There is also a modest trade-off between finishes to consider. As you can imagine, the glossier the plastic base, the more transparent (and also distracting) it is; but if it's matte, then you start to lose that transparency, and it renders using them in the first place a bit pointless.

And since the next question associated with clear bases is inevitably how to attach figures, here's the last thread on the matter (but if you search, you'll find more): https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=139312.0. The thread also covers different plastic materials a bit as well.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2023, 02:41:38 PM by Major_Gilbear »

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2023, 02:36:30 PM »
I'm on the fence. I LOVE the look, my base not getting in the way of the terrain. But....

The biggest issue is keeping them on that base for metal minis. My success story is to use Rendera hard plastic clear bases (they need to make cavalry bases) with hard plastic minis. They bond like all hard plastics.

However, metal minis are problematic. Glue alone is just a recipe for aggravation. The plastic bases are too thin to pin, so I have been successful with thicker clear laser cut disks, I run steel sewing pins through one or more limbs, and they are not easy to see, but even with pins, they pop easier than other traditional basing. But it's not terrible.

People stress over the fogging when using superglue, but just go easy with it and make peace that there will be some slight fog around the feet, but you will never see them again after that first time you glue... I dont at least.

"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2023, 02:52:24 PM »
Clear bases look hi-tech to me, so I don't use them on fantasy figures. They look fine for modern and sf.

For metals, I cut off the slotta base strip, then pin them. Integrated bases are too intimidating for me. :P

A few models from Sally 4th! Kept it tiny so the post wouldn't be too large.

Sally 4th uses clear bases extensively, so you can see more on their site: https://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/

Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2023, 06:31:38 AM »
hmm, thanks for all that will have to give it some jolly hard thinking, wot.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 01:40:28 AM »
Also, if doing a lot of figures, they are not magnetic, so that could be a huge issue during transportation. I value the painted figures more than worrying about figures having flocking on them when inside buildings or on ships. Clear bases are nice, but if they can't keep a figure safe in transportation, then the clear effect to cover all terrain aspects isn't worth it. Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards,
Hitman
😎
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline DS615

• Scientist
    • Fandango Alpha
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 03:53:48 PM »
1" or 1.25" hole punch and Transparent Plastic Plates.
All the bases you could ever want.

I like them only for certain games, and you can't spray them with a sealer since it messes up the transparency.
- Scott

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2023, 03:58:09 PM »
Also, if doing a lot of figures, they are not magnetic, so that could be a huge issue during transportation. I value the painted figures more than worrying about figures having flocking on them when inside buildings or on ships. Clear bases are nice, but if they can't keep a figure safe in transportation, then the clear effect to cover all terrain aspects isn't worth it. Just my 2 cents worth.
Regards,
Hitman
😎
This doesn't really matter for me as I mostly play solo.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2023, 04:46:18 PM »
An earlier thread on this topic got me to use Ultra-Pro rigid card sleeves and a circle lever punch for one project and I like them a lot.

It was great for that particular project because it's low figure count.  Personally, I would not be likely to go that route for a large figure count game if figure choices also required tons of puddle removal.

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2023, 05:02:25 PM »
Back when I collected and gamed with 90mm pre-painted figures, I put them all on clear acyrlic bases and thought they looked smashing:

However, now that I'm over that phase and into proper miniatures, I would never want to use clear. It doesn't look or feel right to me.
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2023, 07:40:31 AM »
I was thinking of using them for pulp minis, so that they look right for any setting.

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2023, 11:07:37 AM »
And I'm thinking that when playing on a gaming mat such as Tikitang has shown and which has been more and more prevalent these past years, transparent bases would be perfect indeed...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!