Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:37:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Silicone Mould Making - A guide to making a Mould for replecating heads, Weapons  (Read 1446 times)

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
Hello fellow hobbyists!

During my hobby time and various Kitbash projects, I use a far bit of Greenstuff and like most, I always make more than I need! Alongside that, I often use a Head, Hand, Weapon, Accessory that I think "ah damn, it's so cool but I only have one"....... so I put both issues together - making a Silicone Mould so I can replicate those cooler pieces for more projects, whilst also having a place to use all that extra Greenstuff! I thought I'd share my home made Mould making tutorial for others who are curious:

It's a fairly easy task to do and offers you endless replication possibilities! I do this on pieces I know I'll multiple uses for, such as those wonderful Imperial Guard Kasrkin heads, if you shaved off the aquila (Heresy!!!) then they can be used for all sorts of Mercenaries, Privateers, Bodyguards etc.

If you have any questions, please let me know and I hipe you find the pictorial guide of use?!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2023, 11:52:41 AM by Hammers »
COMMISIONS OPEN - I CUSTOM KITBASH YOUR MODELS. 40K, STARGRAVE, NECROMUNDA, AoS; FORBIDDEN PSALM

https://withkoji.com/@IsItSheerMadness

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
I I wanted to make shields or other "flatter" bits, how should I go about it?

Should I have the shields upright and vertical or lie flat on their front?

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Neat, thanks for sharing.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Great photo tutorial - thanks for sharing

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
Great photo tutorial - thanks for sharing

Neat, thanks for sharing.

Thanks both, I hope it assists you with your own projects!

Offline King Arthur

• Scientist
    • SOCIALS AND SHOPS
I I wanted to make shields or other "flatter" bits, how should I go about it?

Should I have the shields upright and vertical or lie flat on their front?

It depends - do you want to recreate the Front of the shields only or both sides?

If front only, I would suggest you actually use 'Bluestuff' as it's good for a 'Press' Mould to reproduce flat objects and all you need are Bluestuff sticks, a cup of boiled water and your putty of choice.

If you wanted Front and Back, then for the example I showed above I would certainly stand them VERTICALLY - use a piece of plasticene and make a small ball/cube for the shield to stand on and then attach that to the Plasticene base as per my tutorial - this will allow for a wider opening for your replication process and will also give you something desposable to grip and pull the reproduction out of the Mould. You can then cut off this 'grip' to be left with just your shield.

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
That  actually sounds perfect.
A flatter version (as opposed to a more original concave shape) would have better applications for other uses.

Thank you!

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
If front only, I would suggest you actually use 'Bluestuff' as it's good for a 'Press' Mould to reproduce flat objects and all you need are Bluestuff sticks, a cup of boiled water and your putty of choice.
Blue stuff can be used for a simple two sided press mold.  Simply do the first half, cover the mold face with a thin layer of vegetable oil and press the second bit of blue stiff.  Once set they will come apart and you can add putty and press.  I have managed heads and other small objects that way. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
Thanks for this! I will have to try it sometime.
''Any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed''-Jack Churchill