Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:58:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SC Militia  (Read 699 times)

Offline kingsmt

• Mad Scientist
SC Militia
« on: February 04, 2023, 10:06:22 AM »
I made a series of these bushes for my SC Militia to hide behind.

I did about 18 stands in different shapes and colors.

Fortunately, I have 2 x 12 inch metal stands custom cut for me.
I use them as bases for my fences, stone wall and bushes.

Perfect, as metal won't warp, like wood or foamcore might.
Plus all the stands are cut the same so that the corners and edges line up exactly.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: SC Militia
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2023, 06:52:13 AM »
Missed this one.  Nice work.

Probably too late to the party but a thought for you: for metal terrain bases use a grinder (and safety glasses for certain!) to round off the corners just a bit, maybe need to use a hand held sledge hammer to flatten the piece if it bends a bit though such large bases might not.  Of course, this assumes you either own a grinder or are willing to buy one.  Not necessary but makes a nicer presentation on terrain than an unnatural 90 degree angle.  This process is in my "tool kit".

Offline kingsmt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2023, 05:14:36 PM »
Thanks 15's.  I use terrain stuff to cover the corners. They are cut so that they can interlock seamlessly.

For instance I'll place a tree or overgrown bush at the corners so that the mesh into the overall terrain.

And, who doesn't own a grinder?   LOL LOL

PS   You missed the Philly Associators?

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2023, 04:48:25 AM »
Didn't miss the Philly folk, just didn't comment, think I was making a quick pass through LAF that day.  But nice stuff as always.

As to the grinder, I've found that for a LOT of younger folk, 30-40 and below, owning power tools is a lot more rare than it was for those of us with a little more 'seniority'.  I suspect this is a result of losing so many shop classes in junior and senior high schools, just never learned how to operate safely and now scared to admit their ignorance.  I had metal shop in junior high - these days I don't think many schools can afford the liability insurance.  The younger set might own a power driver but even that isn't in a lot of tool sets.  Heck, some of them don't even know which end of a hammer is the business end or a standard from a Phillips head screwdriver.  Righty tighty, lefty loosie!  I hate to think how they'd cope with reverse threading!   

And with cars so much more complex these days, even I don't work on my own vehicles anymore (thankfully).  "My" first car, my father's old 65 Chevy pickup, had enough space under the hood to literally crawl around inside and almost every component was easy access (no AC or any other luxury - heck, not even seat belts!).  Now everything is so crowded together with so much electronics you must know what you are doing to avoid voiding warranties - or forcing yourself into a multiple thousands of dollars repair.

Thankfully there are still people entering the trades, even lots of women, so no fear of losing abilities - just have to pay through the nose if you don't know how to do it yourself.  At least here in the US of A.  I can do most of what I need, thankfully.