Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:20:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690522
  • Total Topics: 118335
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Old Weird West by supervike updated April 26, 2023  (Read 5403 times)

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Re: Old Weird West by supervike updated Feb24
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2023, 01:50:15 PM »
 Cracking Comanche  8) 8)

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2023, 03:17:26 PM »

What I like about Weird West settings is that you can easily ignore all the darker sides of the historical setting.

Yeah, I hear you.  It's easy to put a romantic notion to these times, and forget what horrible things people did to one another.  I hope to have all this come across more dorky than disturbing.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2023, 03:31:52 PM »
Lovely painting.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2023, 04:11:28 PM »
Comanche's are brilliant.  Warpaint is just right.  :)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2023, 12:07:51 PM »
Yeah, I hear you.  It's easy to put a romantic notion to these times, and forget what horrible things people did to one another.  I hope to have all this come across more dorky than disturbing.

Wouldn’t call it dorky, but maybe I have the wrong notion of that term since I watched Police Academy as a kid.  lol

Fantastic elements definitely help to ignore the violence without romanticizing it. And anyway, it *is* definitely a very interesting setting!

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2023, 02:55:21 AM »

Ma'nan'r is a Mandan whose name means "those who quarreled". One look at this serious Warriors face would let you know he is the disagreeable sort.  Courageous, but ornery.  No one on the current Clan has more experience in killing evil spirits.

The Pawnee known as Ckiri (wolf people) is connected to his spirit animal and can actually take the form as a Great Grey Wolf.

A common practice when one joins the Clan is to give them a derogatory or funny nickname until they can prove themselves in battle. Omusa (misses with arrow) has had his name for an uncomfortably long time. 

(in front)
Dore and Wahredwa, twin brothers from the Ioway tribe, are a pair of monster hunters, one being uncontrollable and chaotic.  No one is sure which is which.

(in back)
Tunkan (the venerable one) is as close to a leader as the Clan has.  Most items of debate are voted upon, but Tunkan will advise on the best course of action.  Tunkan can shapeshift into his spirit guide as the Tatanka (buffalo).

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
Re: Old Weird West by supervike updated Feb 26th.
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2023, 03:14:18 PM »
Magnificent brushwork! Absolutely brilliant!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2023, 10:57:38 AM »
great to see some weird west - lovely figures and paint-jobs.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2023, 11:53:32 AM »
Lovely paint jobs on the Native Americans :-*
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2023, 01:57:16 AM »
So the Cowboys above are the denizens of my Old West town, they'll make up the townfolk and drunks and civilians.

The Clan of 10 Bears, however, is in the area because they are on the hunt...

A Navaho Medicine man wanders the Mountains south of town in the search for sacred herbs.

A noise is heard.

He investigates, curious but wary.

To his shock and horror a shape emerges from the darkness.

The Wendigo has found another to try to satiate it's non stop hunger.

The Wendigo is a myth shared by the Algonquin and many of the Plains Indian tribes.  While descriptions vary, some believe it is an evil spirit that possesses a human.  Other descriptions believe it is the person itself that turns into a Wendigo by a horrible act or deed.  Either way, the creature becomes a ravenous beast, constantly in painful hunger, no matter how much it eats.

Hollywood depicted the creature as a bipedal deer- like ghoul with antlers, which we are familiar with.  While I do like that image, I decided to go with the more traditional description.  An emaciated and horrible beast.

Heresy's ghoul with a snack seem to be a pretty close approximation.

Will The Clan be able to stop the Wendigo before it kills again?  Will the townfolk become suspicious of the Natives wandering the area and start trouble?

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Re: Old Weird West by supervike updated March 3.
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2023, 12:23:26 AM »
As the brave Warriors patrol the areas near town, a new group of gentlefolk have started to visit.

Known only as Joshua, this vampire may have connections to the Blood lines back east. 

As his influence grows, so does his posse.

How long will it be before any these factions butt heads?  Will the town be safe?

Offline aircav

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • the aircav saga
Re: Old Weird West by supervike updated March 8.
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2023, 08:48:10 AM »
I like that Vampire& his posse  8) 8) 8)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2023, 09:43:05 AM »
Very kewl. Love all the recent additions. :-*

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2023, 10:47:16 AM »
Wow! Love the additions!

The vampire posse needs a John Carpenter movies where they star in, and the Wendigo is seriously frightening !

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2023, 02:46:47 AM »
I'm just happy for folks to look at my pictures and painting.  Sharing is part of the fun for me.  Writing the setting/stories is another part of the fun, but until this thread I haven't posted this sort of thing.  Don't feel obligated to read any this nonsense! o_o

All these figures obviously need a place to be, so here is the beginning of my town.

I decided to call the town "Grackle".  I got that name from a PC game called Weird West). I tried to come up with a name similar to that, but nothing clicked with me as much as that.  So, welcome to Grackle.

Black smith shop (made by Knuckleduster). 

I'm pretty new to working with MDF terrain, but have to say I really enjoy it.  The builds are quick and enjoyable, they look good, and for the most part, affordable.  I still need to either hand paint, or use a sign for the building.  I've got a few more terrain pieces in the works to help populate Grackle.

The idea of Grackle is that it once was a boom town, but the silver is mostly mined out.  Like so many towns of that era, most folks moved on down the road.

A few of the mines are still open, not for silver, but for lesser ores.

It's enough to keep Grackle alive, for now.

There may be few drunken fights, a cheat at poker, or maybe an occasional horse theft, but it's mostly law abiding folks in Grackle.  The last Sheriff died of old age, and the town never got around to electing another.  A few volunteer deputies address any scofflaws as needed.

Issac Church and Jim Rogers, both volunteer peace keepers, search for a stranger in black.  He's accused of  attempting to rob the Wells Fargo line, and punching Old lady Farley.

"Give it up stranger, we got the drop on ya.  Don't do anything stupid"

The stranger is oddly calm as he steps out into the open.  He's fast on the draw, is he fast enough??

Elsewhere....Mysterious powerful forces are gathering.  Like a moth to a flame, weirdness is coming.  Each of my factions (mostly Dracula's America posse) will have their own motives and agendas as they are being drawn inexplicably towards Grackle.  Will the town survive?  Will Old Lady Farley get to punch that som'bitch back?

« Last Edit: March 17, 2023, 03:01:00 AM by supervike »