Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:33:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fort Soixante-neuf  (Read 3096 times)

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
Fort Soixante-neuf
« on: February 21, 2023, 08:54:44 AM »
The buildings on the corners are Leven 6mm; the rest scratchbuilt.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Re: Fort Soixante-neuf
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2023, 04:03:48 PM »
Nice.  And good idea to use a couple of commercial buildings to incorporate into your full fort.  Look forward to seeing in-situ in a game report.

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2023, 08:08:42 PM »
Very nice and love the idea of doing colonial in 6mm.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 12:37:44 AM »
Have done so, but I Wendy-house terrain to 6mm scale while actually using 10mm figures.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2023, 05:31:03 AM »
A bit odd - auto-correct, perhaps?  (Wendy-house?)

As to using 6 mm terrain with 10 mm miniatures, works a treat.  That is what I am doing with my 10/12 mm Seven Years War.  Quite effective.  Here is a photo of my first run out with my new army (mostly acquired painted):

There is a 6 mm "city" in four bases off to the lower left and you can see a long line of 10 mm figures off to the right (only took two photos of the game I'm afraid and the other is from the opposite end and not as clear). 

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2023, 07:04:57 AM »
That’s a nice piece of terrain.

And I am very positively surprised how well smaller terrain works with those multibased roops. It gives just that kind of feeling, a military maps does — only that it’s all nicely painted.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2023, 08:34:24 AM »
It makes perfect sense to use smaller scale buildings if you are not playing skirmish games. I used to do it when I was a 15mm gamer. Otherwise, depending on the ground scale of your game, you can end up with oddities such as individual buildings being longer than the range of a rifle, and also simply the buildings just looking too big. Figure scale and ground scale just aren't the same things.

(15's: I've never seen it used in this sense before, but a Wendy house is a child's small play house, so I totally get what Fierce Kitty is saying here, don't think it's an auto-correct error.)

« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 08:37:41 AM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2023, 08:53:46 AM »
I'm afraid my Moroccans under Sheik Radt-el-Nrol were repelled again this afternoon, though the enemy paid for their victory.

Figures Pendraken and Lancashire 10mm.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2023, 04:39:28 AM by FierceKitty »

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2023, 09:30:54 AM »
It makes perfect sense to use smaller scale buildings if you are not playing skirmish games. I used to do it when I was a 15mm gamer. Otherwise, depending on the ground scale of your game, you can end up with oddities such as individual buildings being longer than the range of a rifle, and also simply the buildings just looking too big. Figure scale and ground scale just aren't the same things.

(15's: I've never seen it used in this sense before, but a Wendy house is a child's small play house, so I totally get what Fierce Kitty is saying here, don't think it's an auto-correct error.)

It's a term much thrown around whenever the scale debate comes up on the Pendraken site. I thought it was probably universal.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2023, 06:30:34 PM »
Plynkes, thanks for the explanation - not a term of use I'd ever seen before.  We have Ronald McDonald houses here in the states as care places for kids in need which made me wonder if it was something similar with the Wendy's brand of fast-food chains.  Perhaps a UK usage. 

And, FierceKitty, sorry to hear of the poor showing of the troops but such should be the vagaries of gaming.  Just imagine how dull it would be if we always knew who would win. 

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2023, 11:07:29 PM »
It comes from Peter Pan rather than fast food.

In the story the Lost Boys build a little house for the character Wendy. Toy manufacturers copied the prop from the stage play to sell as a play house for tots and the name stuck, in the UK at any rate. They are generally outdoor things you have in the garden, but at my primary school there was one inside the infants class.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2023, 03:56:07 AM »
Plynkes, thanks for the explanation - not a term of use I'd ever seen before.  We have Ronald McDonald houses here in the states as care places for kids in need which made me wonder if it was something similar with the Wendy's brand of fast-food chains.  Perhaps a UK usage. 

And, FierceKitty, sorry to hear of the poor showing of the troops but such should be the vagaries of gaming.  Just imagine how dull it would be if we always knew who would win.

My wife's smug reply is that in our games we always do know who will win. I fear she's moving in for one of those long runs of victories that do my husbandly authority no good at all.

I certainly thought of the kiddy houses as "Wendy houses" when I was but a bratling in Cape Town. I grew up with a lot of time in the theatre, admittedly. Any memories from Strines, Kiwis, Indians, Canadians...?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 03:59:47 AM by FierceKitty »

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2023, 10:18:43 AM »
An Indian friend tells me they don't use the term in India.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2023, 03:00:38 PM »
Peter Pan makes sense.  Lots of play houses and quite a few tree houses for kids, even some really fancy play areas in parks (recreating old west towns for instance - and a quite sizable play-on pirate ship at a local car dealership) but until this thread, never encountered the usage so I don't think it applies in US.  Or maybe I've just never heard it since wife and I never had kids.  But I did work in education at the primary grade level for a few years early in my career.  And I was very active in live theater in my college years.  So you'd think I would have heard it if it was getting used. 

But back to the game, that looks like a pretty good game whatever the results.  "Pretty" games just make the experience better and more memorable.

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2023, 01:21:40 AM »
It's going to become boring very soon if sitting tight behind fortifications works too well. I may need to put in some scenario rules where the Legion can be a bit more heroic and a bit more dead.