Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:25:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Ruckzug France 1944 CoC campaign (updated 5 May)  (Read 4880 times)

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
Re: Ruckzug France 1944 CoC campaign (updated 12 March)
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2023, 09:23:46 PM »
Very nice write-up and it is interesting to see the actual tactics play out on the table.  I am chomping at the bit to start a CoC campaign so your write-up and thought process is very helpful.

The campaigns are certainly where the system shines. Each scenario needs to be fought in the broader context of the campaign and casualties really matter. I like how you are constantly balancing aggression with preservation of force while keeping an eye on the longer term objectives. Most involve 6-8 separate games, so they are not unmanageable and resolve themselves long before any boredom or other distractions set in.

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2023, 12:17:37 AM »
A very good AAR.
Great looking terrain.
The Brits do every thing right and still get their butts handed to them.
It looks to me that their die rolls for hits was probably poor to just very bad.
The Germans probably had much better die rolling.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2023, 06:47:53 AM »
It looks to me that their die rolls for hits was probably poor to just very bad.
The Germans probably had much better die rolling.

'Do not give me a good General...Give me a lucky one' (Napoleon) lol lol lol

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2023, 07:17:24 AM »
You know, it's very interesting, I've had several comments about the apparent poor luck of the British and yet that's not a memory either Dave or I have of the game as we played it. Sure there were moments for both sides (for the Germans the panzerschreck crew failing to deploy and then missing the Staghound with their first shot when they did, comes to mind). When we discussed it afterwards the one thing that never come up was swings of luck.

Offline .:Gunslinger:.

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2023, 08:50:08 AM »
This was fantastic once again, I love reading these, it's nail-bitingly tense with often some real surprises. The attention to detail when it comes to presentation and explaining the choices that are made during the game is just perfect, big thanks for all the work you put into this!

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2023, 12:09:36 PM »
Very nice looking tables  :) The row of trees lining the road really shouts France, and the little town square is brilliant. Really well observed and put together.

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2023, 12:47:55 PM »
Another great report: the suspense of the first half of the game, then the explosion of action and violence in the second half.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2023, 01:07:28 PM »
Great stuff; the two battles so far were a compelling read and I really enjoyed them.

This must be the same CoC campaign that Battle Brush Sigur played back in '22. I believe he called that '29 Let's go' or something?

It also detailed a German retreat across France over a number of games. And there too, the Germans were able to put up stiff resistance and basically repell any allied attack thrown at them. It was Americans opposing them there though.

Please keep it up; these campaigns are fun to follow! 8)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2023, 08:48:58 PM »
Great stuff; the two battles so far were a compelling read and I really enjoyed them.

This must be the same CoC campaign that Battle Brush Sigur played back in '22. I believe he called that '29 Let's go' or something?

It also detailed a German retreat across France over a number of games. And there too, the Germans were able to put up stiff resistance and basically repell any allied attack thrown at them. It was Americans opposing them there though.

Please keep it up; these campaigns are fun to follow! 8)

Thanks. The 29 Let’s Go campaign is a different one and operates differently. That one represents elements of the US 29th Div trying to break out from Utah and link up with Omaha beach. The Americans have to re fight any maps the Germans hold, unlike this one which is one of perpetual retreat, and the Germans are able to select their support rather than have it arrive ad hoc. It’s a good campaign, I played the Germans in that one as well. We played it in 2020, the AARs start here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/2020/03/29-lets-go-scenario-1-probe-at-la-cambe.html

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2023, 12:27:14 AM »
I have completely missed this! Going back to the beginning and reading all the AAR's in order now....
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2023, 07:34:18 PM »
I must echo Vodkafan in missing this. Great stuff and an interesting pint size campaign that I also own but hadn’t read. Thank you for posting this, those two books look really interesting and this campaign is now definitely one in the to-do list.

BeneathALeadMountain
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2023, 02:27:37 AM »
Good to have you all following along, things have gone okay for the Germans so far but I fear things could turn very bad very quickly if they suffer a defeat. It’ll be interesting to see how this all pans out.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2023, 01:19:07 PM »
Good to have you all following along, things have gone okay for the Germans so far but I fear things could turn very bad very quickly if they suffer a defeat. It’ll be interesting to see how this all pans out.

I am reminded of the story of the man who fell off the top of the Empire State Building.
Every floor he passed they heard him say, 'OK so far'
 lol lol lol

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2023, 08:12:41 AM »
The Germans turn and stop once again to try and hold back the pursuing British. So far they've managed to conduct a very orderly withdrawal and prevent a rout, but can they continue to keep the British at bay or will the retreat dissolve into chaos? Another game in the continuing saga of the Ruckzug campaign. The full AAR is here https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/2023/04/ruckzug-campaign-scenario-3-attack-in.html

« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 10:42:59 AM by TacticalPainter »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Ruckzug France 1944 CoC campaign (updated 2 April)
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2023, 08:41:15 AM »
A lovely AAR. & yet another nail-biter. :o