Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 01:43:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Vehicle Outlines for Pulp Gaming  (Read 16331 times)

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
Vehicle Outlines for Pulp Gaming
« on: October 27, 2009, 05:22:28 PM »
Links updated, 11 Jan 2011.

Sheet One:

Sheet Two:

Both downloadable from Pulp Vehicle Cards on my gaming site.

Vehicles look great on the table, but they're often impossible to get figures on or into, and balancing figures on the roofs risks your paintjobs and isn't possible with a lot of vehicles anyway! These outlines are designed to print onto standard North American Letter-sized business card blank stock (or onto any card, if you don't mind cutting them out manually) and used alongside your vehicle models to easily represent figures and cargo in your vehicles.

Heck, use them on their own as substitutes, if you don't have any vehicles yet!

Four Small Trucks, four Small Cars (both based roughly on a Model T-sized vehicle), one Large Truck and one Limousine/Large Car; free for personal use.

Feedback encouraged - let me know what you think, find my typos for me, suggest improvements, whatever.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:36:45 AM by Wirelizard »

Offline Remgain

• Mad Scientist
Re: Vehicle Outlines for Pulp Gaming
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 09:08:00 PM »
Very useful!

Thank you!

We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.

George Bernard Shaw

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 10:34:59 PM »
Those are great, thank you.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 12:20:44 AM »
Great idea!     :) :)

Offline Bookman1960

• Assistant
  • I'm a Librarian... Madam!
Brilliant!
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 12:37:33 PM »
Wunderbar!

Brilliant.

Thank you.

former user

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 12:51:45 PM »
thx

I assume the intended use is to keep track offboard where ceratin models actually are located?

In this case, this works well for cars and maybe AFV, but the loading bay of a truck/pickup is something different. Many more people would find space there as would theoretically be possible to place models on, so the templates for trucks should be oversized, at least the cargo bays.

Maybe a double outline, the original one for cargo models, and a base outline?

Offline postal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 04:01:44 PM »
very nice great idea got to download mine right away

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 06:12:14 PM »
That's rather clever... Bravo! I imagine one places the miniatures off board on the card(s) while they ( the miniatures) are mounted on a 25mm base. Cargo important to gameplay (HMGs, explosives, the Arc of the covenant) could have markers places on equally sized bases.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 07:01:59 PM by Hammers »

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2009, 06:59:59 PM »
oh that is very cool !!

thanks a Lot  :)
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 06:15:04 AM »
I assume the intended use is to keep track offboard where ceratin models actually are located?

Either offboard or on the table, behind or beside the actual vehicle model; I prefer leaving stand-ins like this on the table if at all possible, just so everyone remembers what's going on and which characters are where.

In this case, this works well for cars and maybe AFV, but the loading bay of a truck/pickup is something different. Many more people would find space there as would theoretically be possible to place models on, so the templates for trucks should be oversized, at least the cargo bays.

I thought about doing something like this, but there's not an endless amount of space in a Model T flatbed or similar 1920s/30s small truck, so a limit of four or six people/equivalent cargo isn't unreasonable and fits in the 2x3.5" area of a business card to boot!

For larger trucks an oversized representation of the bed might be required - having just re-watched Raiders of the Lost Ark, the German truck Indy attacks on horseback is obviously much larger than a simple Model T flatbed, and bigger even than the Large Truck I provide an outline for.

That's rather clever... Bravo! I imagine one places the miniatures off board on the card(s) while they ( the miniatures) are mounted on a 25mm base. Cargo important to gameplay (HMGs, explosives, the Arc of the covenant) could have markers places on equally sized bases.

The circles are 20mm, actually, and yes, I often put small details and scenery elements on the same size bases as my figures. (I'm firmly in the "25mm is Too Damn Big For Bases" camp!) In the Jurassic Pulp game we had last weekend, several prizes discovered by the players in the dinosaur-trampled ruins of their camp were on figure-sized bases, and we ruled that they took the same cargo space as one person.

Glad people are finding these cool and useful! I've got a few ideas for a second sheet of this type; if anyone has vehicle types they'd like to see, speak up. (already considering rowboats, for example...)

former user

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 07:37:41 AM »
I would rate a model T as a pickup

The ubiquitous Toyota pickup of our times has a slightly larger loading bay, but when used as regional taxi in Sudan, it has seats for 10! people, and even more are carried sometimes.

I guess it depends on the model and the circumstances, and on the style of game You play.
In a standard game, standard transport should be allowed, but in a pulpish skirmish scenario, I would allow loading bays to be crammed with people.

Or think of Soviet desantny on T34.
The idea is certainly excellent, and whether one wants to place the templates on the board or not is  a matter of taste.

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 02:45:39 PM »
Great Idea. Thanx. :-*

Offline Caporal Le Clou

• Assistant
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 03:05:13 PM »
Great idea. Thanks. I'll be putting them to use in our next pulp rpg game.

It would be nice if you could add some two seater roadsters and some motorbikes with and without sidecars to your second sheet.

Ian

Offline postal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2009, 12:42:35 PM »
I use them last night and they work great had a lot vehicle rolling around so it made easy macthing truck and cars to the minis on the templates.And confusing minis in cars with dead ones.thanks again.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2009, 12:58:14 PM »
Thanks for sharing.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'