Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:25:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690936
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Victrix Phalanx - with many headswaps  (Read 913 times)

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
Victrix Phalanx - with many headswaps
« on: January 12, 2024, 03:02:17 PM »
I've already posted a few articles on my blog about my (of course over ambitious) project to create a generic Hellenistic/Successor army in 28mm, which started with the lighter troops and peltasts, and then added some Galatians and some cavalry... all of which was really a rather folorn effort to put off tacking the Phalanx for as long as possible!

The dread of the Phalanx is twofold.

First up, it's a lot of near-identical, uniform figures, which always makes painting a bit of a chore. But more importantly I had decided that the Victrix spears were simply too flimsy to use as-is, and instead that I would drill out the pikemen's hands and add in metal pikes instead.

If this wasn't too easy, I also decided to go a little off-piste on the headswap front, throwing in all sorts of plastic heads from the spares box (which has all sorts in it!) as well as mixing it up with the rather good range of heads that come on the Victrix sprues.

Oh, and as if that's not enough, I also got a pack of Successor metal heads from Aventine to shake things up even more, as I do really like my troops to look like battle-worn veterans and the whole "I'm not using standad kit!" thing is a big part of that.   

And, to make things even harder I tried to create that "might not be a real thing" joining-type-bit that wraps around the middle of each pike by using tiny strips of normal paper soaked in quite a lot of PVA glue.

Oh, and did I mention that I then bought two sets of Victrix Argyaspids on the mistaken assumption that they would be pikemen? They are in fact armed with spears, so the decision to drill out their hands and add metal pikes wasn't even one I had anychoice over in the end - I simply had to do it once I started.

And after much blood, sweat, swearing and tears this is the end result:

The whole process, and more pics of the end result are now posted on my site at: https://madaxemandotcom.blogspot.com/2024/01/victrix-successor-pikemen-in-28mm.html

Web: Madaxeman.com
On Twitter: twitter.com
On Facebook:  facebook.com
Devon holiday?: The Captains Cottage Brixham

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
Re: Victrix Phalanx - with many headswaps
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2024, 03:18:57 PM »
I think you are indeed mad, but the end result is superb!

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2024, 03:29:31 PM »
Excellent!

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2024, 04:54:36 PM »
Looking great. They look like a motley and varied bunch!

I have heard a lot of complaints about Victrix Pikes but have never had an issue with them.  Now, the Hypaspist spears are a different kettle of fish.  They are too fragile.
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline madaxeman

• Scientist
    • Madaxeman.com
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2024, 06:23:12 PM »
Looking great. They look like a motley and varied bunch!

I have heard a lot of complaints about Victrix Pikes but have never had an issue with them.  Now, the Hypaspist spears are a different kettle of fish.  They are too fragile.

I was in two minds about the pikes to be honest, but in the end the fact I had a hand drill, and some metal pikes kicking around in the bits box tipped me into the drilling-out camp - and then discovering that the Argyaspides didn't have pikes got me over the line ...!

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2024, 08:25:08 PM »
Granted, I would wager you have to transport your models more often, further, and in different travel arrangements than I have too! 

It was probably a good idea to swap them out.  Now, don't accidentally step on them in the dark!

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2024, 03:15:38 PM »
You are mad!

Nice work!