Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:17:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Team Yankee - West German Aircraft  (Read 2866 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Team Yankee - West German Aircraft
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2023, 08:49:22 AM »
Without straying into the age old scale thing, I tend to use 1/144 kits for this. My Dutch have a couple of 1/144 Starfighters waiting to be painted. I know in-game they're supposed to receive German airsupport in the form of Tornadoes, but I want all units in this force to be Dutch, including the airsupport.

I originally wanted NF-5's, but those are not easy to find at either 1/100 or 1/144. Maybe I could find a good STL by now though...

My wife gifted me an original Revell 1/144 F-16 from the eighties which she found at a thrift shop. I even had that very same kit when I was a lad, so it's also kind of nostalgic. At this particular point in time though (1985), Starfighters and NF-5's were still more common than F-16's in Dutch service, so Starfighters it'll be.

The TY list further states that helicopter support for the Dutch is also German, with TOW equiped Bo-105's. The Netherlands was also flying Bo-105's though but unarmed. Still; with a war on, it's not outside the realm of possibilites for the Dutch to add TOW's to their own helo's to fill that gap. So mine are Dutch Bolkows with TOW's (TY kits painted as Dutch).

But let's be realistic; aside from helicopters, no aircraft should really be represented on the battlefield at this scale. Especially when the battlefield is as small as a table... ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2023, 09:09:13 AM »

But let's be realistic; aside from helicopters, no aircraft should really be represented on the battlefield at this scale. Especially when the battlefield is as small as a table... ;)

The trick is to pick up the model and whisk it past the players eyes and off the table before they can blink. Accompanying wooshing jet engine noises at your discretion.  ;)
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2023, 09:21:36 AM »
Ah, but that I can do! (and do, obviously lol )

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2023, 09:40:20 AM »
The obligatory response is of course 'fucking crabs/ Luftwaffe/ RAAF' etc [insert name of relevant blue clad public servants here].

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2023, 10:47:27 AM »
Without straying into the age old scale thing, I tend to use 1/144 kits for this. My Dutch have a couple of 1/144 Starfighters waiting to be painted. I know in-game they're supposed to receive German airsupport in the form of Tornadoes, but I want all units in this force to be Dutch, including the airsupport.

I originally wanted NF-5's, but those are not easy to find at either 1/100 or 1/144. Maybe I could find a good STL by now though...

My wife gifted me an original Revell 1/144 F-16 from the eighties which she found at a thrift shop. I even had that very same kit when I was a lad, so it's also kind of nostalgic. At this particular point in time though (1985), Starfighters and NF-5's were still more common than F-16's in Dutch service, so Starfighters it'll be.

The TY list further states that helicopter support for the Dutch is also German, with TOW equiped Bo-105's. The Netherlands was also flying Bo-105's though but unarmed. Still; with a war on, it's not outside the realm of possibilites for the Dutch to add TOW's to their own helo's to fill that gap. So mine are Dutch Bolkows with TOW's (TY kits painted as Dutch).

That Fabbri/Italeri range included a South Vietnamese F5.  I repainted one as a Canadian CF5 (aka CF116).

Yes, necessity is the mother of invention, as we're seeing in Ukraine.

Yes, aircraft models are completely unnecessary!  lol  I don't play TY, but they probably behave the same in most rules, in that they fly in, do their thing (provided they haven't been shot down) and then bugger off again, all in one turn!  :D  I do like the look of a hairyplane or two over the table, though...  8)

http://www.jemimafawr.co.uk/2020/05/17/my-partizan-in-the-cloud-the-cassinga-raid-angola-1978/
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 10:50:14 AM by Jemima Fawr »
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2023, 10:55:01 AM »
The obligatory response is of course 'fucking crabs/ Luftwaffe/ RAAF' etc [insert name of relevant blue clad public servants here].
We always say the nicest things about you...  :'(

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2023, 07:35:03 PM »

The "official" scales (=the aircraft you got in the starter sets) are 1/144 for fixed wing aircraft, 1/100 for helicopters (those can land and thus must match the ground forces). 1/144 is more common than 1/100 I guess.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2023, 09:32:01 PM »
We always say the nicest things about you...  :'(

But it's always said with great affection.  ;)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2023, 12:06:49 PM »
Well, I could not help myself; the fire's been stoked and now I'm in the middle of building two very cheap Starfighter kits ::)

But I'm modeling (at least one of) mine with two Mk84 bombs (2000 lbs) instead of the 1000 lbs ones the good emir put on his unit card. What would the in-game equivalent stats be for such large pieces of fireworks? :D

Own thread to follow shortly, once I take some pictures btw...

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2023, 06:12:49 PM »
 :) If you let me know what you decide re the weapons let me know and I'll amend the card. Have a look through the other aircraft and find one which has a similar payload but there's not a huge difference in weapons in TY.

Glad to see this thread has created such a lot of interest.....I've not had a chance to put either plane into production myself yet!

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2023, 11:59:03 PM »
Die-cast I/100 Italian Starfighter, with Italian roundels and marking over painted and hidden.

Not sure if I will do the number too as it's quite large - we'll see. I will touch up some more once the German luftwaffe markings I'm waiting on arrive.

Wrong scale for TY aircraft, but I don't have any other planes and neither do those I game with, it was cheaper than the kits and lastly I don't care! 😆

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2023, 09:01:25 AM »
Yay Starfighter!  8)

They're such an iconic part of my childhood, as we used to live very near an airbase, right under the approach path. So a pair would be coming in to land right over our house every ten minutes during excersizes (and there were a lot of those).

Worse would be when they practiced breaking off landing undert simulated attack; they would go vertical, afterburners lit, thundering up right over our house. Gave me nightmares as a three year old (which later turned into obsession, as these things do). My mother hated that because all her white sheets, hanging outside to dry, would be grey afterwards, ready for another wash because of the soot raining down...

But I've always liked them since :D

I've got two 1/144 ones on my painting desk right now, but that project (together with two BO-105 helicopters) stalled because of butterfly syndrome ::)  I really should put the finishing touches on them, as they're almost done by now. Just touching up the camo, detailing and decals (I'm painting mine in Dutch livery).

You've got a cool version there though, especially since it's a diecast and actually cheaper than a kit! You say the scale is wrong, but if I'd have had my say, I would have gone all 1/100, as opposed to a mix of two scales for the game. I understand the reasoning of course, and I've conformed, but nobody states you can't use 1/100 for your fast movers!

I'd opt to paint over the numbers btw. The German ones go into exactly the same location and any mistakes or colour differences will be invisible once those black and white markings are on there...
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 09:03:40 AM by Daeothar »

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2023, 09:07:39 AM »
Thanks for the tip...will see what the transfers look like and decide.

Have had similar experiences with Tornadoes and Typhoons at Lossie. Look forward to seeing yours. Got a soft spot for the Dutch

Better pic attached.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2023, 09:21:20 AM »
And not to ruffle your feathers or to be pedantic, but the Italian paintscheme is decidedly different from the German one, so you might consider repainting the whole jet. The Italian scheme has rounded, flowing camo, while the german one is all about sharp, blocky shapes. In fact; the Germans used the same pattern as the Dutch in this case.

I'm not a rivet counter at all, but I told you scary planes eventually became a bit of an obsession. And even though I eventually got better, anything plane related apparently still triggers me  lol

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2023, 09:27:45 AM »
Looks the business! 1/100 looks about right to me anyway. 1/100 kits aren't especially common as compared to 1/144 or 1/72 but Tamiya have a small selection, albeit mostly geared to the 1960s and '70s but some useful items none the less.

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/100air/kit61601.htm

The current line up on their web page is a bit thin but I know that you can find a number more, second hand, including a Starfighter if you ever feel the need for another.