Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:59:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Turning ww2 yanks into sci-fi troops  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
Turning ww2 yanks into sci-fi troops
« on: March 12, 2023, 03:18:09 PM »
''Any officer who goes into action without his sword is improperly dressed''-Jack Churchill

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: Turning ww2 yanks into sci-fi troops
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2023, 03:45:49 PM »
Yes, but are you talking about turning them into Rambo's? Or just useing them in a sci-fi setting?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2023, 04:11:33 PM »
Turning them into Ramboish figures and using them in a sci-fi setting.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2023, 06:17:30 PM »
I think the hard part is finding a bunch of bandana wearing heads that will fit the figs..  :?
I'll have to think on this

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2023, 06:27:08 PM »
Plastic helmets are a pretty easy carve down into bandanas with a small curved blade.

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 07:03:09 PM »
Plastic helmets are a pretty easy carve down into bandanas with a small curved blade.
Will have to give it a try

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023, 08:22:42 PM »
Unless you already have the WW2 Americans you might have a look at the Wargames Atlantic "SpaceNam" figures.  Not my period so do not know if they match for size.   https://wargamesatlantic.com/products/spacenam
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2023, 01:52:46 AM »
The Spacenam figures are great figs for the subject matter and affordably priced but they are quite large compared to "true" scale historic figs.  They will size up well against GW figs but are going to look like giants next to Warlord WW2.

Are you planning on buying alternate weapons for the Warlord figs?   Victoria minis does some nice lasguns that are slim enough to look good on historical figures.  However, you'd probably be spending more than just buying the SpaceNam figs.

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2023, 06:24:11 AM »
Unless you already have the WW2 Americans you might have a look at the Wargames Atlantic "SpaceNam" figures.  Not my period so do not know if they match for size.   https://wargamesatlantic.com/products/spacenam
I do already have them.

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2023, 06:26:53 AM »
The Spacenam figures are great figs for the subject matter and affordably priced but they are quite large compared to "true" scale historic figs.  They will size up well against GW figs but are going to look like giants next to Warlord WW2.

Are you planning on buying alternate weapons for the Warlord figs?   Victoria minis does some nice lasguns that are slim enough to look good on historical figures.  However, you'd probably be spending more than just buying the SpaceNam figs.
I wont be buying weapons, I have some of these https://eu.warlordgames.com/products/concord-strike-squad-support-drones which I can get some weapons from, and then I will probably just turn the yanks weapons into sci-fi looking guns.

Offline bvandewalker

• Lurker
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2023, 06:37:27 AM »
Well that's an interesting thought, I have picked up several Boltaction infantry sets pretty much just to turn them into SciFi troops and fill the bit box.

Overall they do work pretty well in that regard and many of the bodies work with Wargames Atlantic Death Fields and GW Cadian parts. o  I would not class them as "true life historical scale" but more of a useful "hodpog scale", particularly  once you view them as a spare part sprues since some parts do work great with 28mm Historical proportion scale kits, while others don't, and still others seem like different model true scales like the older loose grease guns that could fit in with Tamiya 1/35 weapons (in fact it looks almost exactly the same lol).

Now that said I don't think a Rambo like Catachan are exactly doable with the Warlord USMC set at least not with out lots of tricky knife work and green stuff (cause those Mr. Universe beefcake muscles :o) or buying parts from 3 or 4 different kits (it might work if one sources arms from RGD Satyer kit but one would still need the SciFi bits from elsewhere and the end result might be a lot of funky poses). I would just buy the Reptilian Overlord kit from Wargames Atlantic or the Catachan themselves if I want a lot of Rando Rambos on the table.

However a more down to Earth 1960's-90's Jungle Guerrilla Fighter style SciFi combatants (you know like the mooks from the Rambo films and Metal Gear Solid games except with cooler guns) would likely be pretty easy to make out of the WW2 USMC box, I would consider picking up one of the Ironcore kits Wargames Atlantic is redoing to source weapons and other SciFi bits since they come with a ton of gun options and would work double as the heavy infantry option.     

Offline Aethelwulf

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2023, 10:30:16 AM »
I'm not going to give them bandanas, its too difficult, anyway what kind of hydrocephalic moron goes into battle without a helmet.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2023, 11:29:06 AM »
If you're not going to bandana them and they're all wearing shirts and helmets, you've kind of abandoned the Catachan Rambo look, so maybe learn towards the space Vietnam look of Aliens colonial Marines and 90s Cadians (albeit without body armor)

Perhaps give them whatever sci Fi weapons you want and then chop up the WW2 weapons to make techy bits to attach to their helmets and packs.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2023, 12:34:45 PM »
One thing that I've found works really well is to make sure the paintscheme is quite different from the original.

So give them grey fatigues, or red. Or turquoise. Add a big stripe of a contrasting colour to their helmets, and/or big numbers. Another nice addition is some sort of weird, colourful camouflage pattern.

Alternatively, giving them blue skin (like Rogue Trooper) or another interesting colour, like bright green (Old Man's War) might also be an option.

And then you're going to have to look at changing out the barrels on the guns. Not even the whole weapons mind; just add a funky front end with an easily reproduceable bit that looks pewpew and you're golden...
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2023, 02:26:10 PM »
... have to look at changing out the barrels on the guns. Not even the whole weapons mind; just add a funky front end with an easily reproduceable bit that looks pewpew and you're golden...
That's a very good point.  In the tradition of Star Wars prop builders, often all you need to make sci-fi weapons out of historical ones, is to trim or replace a barrel, remove a magazine, add a scope or other detail, etc.

On historical minis this sometimes looks even better than replacing them with sci-fi weapons that are often (though not always) oversized on more realistically proportioned miniatures.