Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:12:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Brtish figures for the 40mm Peninsular Project  (Read 1561 times)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Brtish figures for the 40mm Peninsular Project
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2023, 08:46:41 AM »
Where to start. There are so many gaps, there needs to be a regular injection of new product to keep 40s alive. We are relying on some pretty old ranges some of which really need re-mastering.

How many more ranges of 28mm French do we need, but they keep coming and they keep selling, so the answer is more new product and updated product.

3D printing?  I know NOTHING about it, but have heard of people re-sizing files.
Could that be done e.g. from 28mm to 40mm?

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2023, 09:59:26 AM »
I have bought some printed figures, to be fair they weren't too bad. Scaling up comes with some consequences though if not done properly, for example the heads were very large and generally the proportions were a bit odd - probably because they weren't designed to be 40mm. I'll try to get a photo of one where I can - I'll pop it on my thread rather than hi-jack Rogers.  They also worked out slightly more expensive than metal figures, which is a bit annoying.

Sadly, most printed black powder era figures I have seen have been very angular and lack any flair or sense of movement. When painted, sometimes the layers can still be seen too. That's just my view, others may differ.

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2023, 10:19:06 AM »
Might as well stick them on here. Some very basic photos taken on my really poor phone in poor light, but you get the idea.

The proportions are exaggerated and, close up, even though it has an undercoat, several layers of paint and gloss then matt varnish, some of the layers are still visible.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2023, 10:22:15 AM »
3D printing?  I know NOTHING about it, but have heard of people re-sizing files.
Could that be done e.g. from 28mm to 40mm?

technically yes - although most sellers I've contacted in this context have been loathe to do so (in the 'can't be bothered to answer' sense of 'loathe').
Some have tho' - so, I as say, certainly feasible. Of course, prices have increased accordingly.

I've no experience of using 3-d print files or printers - there may well be good reasons why, subjectively, scaling up (or down) is to be avoided (i.e. extra work in terms of adusting the 'supports' etc? dunno ...).

just been 'chatting' with a good guy on etsy (crisisactorminis) who's scaled stuff up for me in the past.
was looking at some figs for silver bayonet in 40mm, and he was explaining that most of the figures in question have relatively low polygon counts and, having been designed to be printed at 28mm, will start to show said limitation as the size goes up ...
so there can be technical reasons why some sculpts aren't really suitable for scaling-up.

I guess at the sculptor's end, it is possible, if not in fact straight-forward depending on the software, to scale-up sculpts - but not always, it would seem, at a printer's end, whether offering products commercially or not.

I'd kind of assumed that sculpting software worked in an equivalent way to vector drawing - i.e. infinitely scale-able without loss of resolution, but not so it would appear (in all cases anyway).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 11:04:47 AM by Bloggard »

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2023, 06:50:08 PM »
Thanks guys, plenty still to paint without any 3d prints, but if I am goign to mix them in now would be the time. Food for thought and much appreciated.
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk