Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:19:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: What age is the 'stopping point' for miniatures gaming?  (Read 4204 times)

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
Re: What age is the 'stopping point' for miniatures gaming?
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2023, 03:26:19 AM »
I hope to game until I can no longer physically do so.

Our oldest member is in his 60s and I bet he's got a few decades of gaming left in him.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2023, 04:45:16 AM »
> How can you ever think of stopping when thier is so much more precious to buy ?

And, considering how expensive the hobby is, my wallet won't let me outgrow it only soon after I can afford it!

Also, painting takes time, and I didn't have that until I retired. Thanks to the internet and miniatures becoming better, you can't do a mediocre paint job and call it done!
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2023, 01:15:19 PM »
you can't do a mediocre paint job and call it done!

I beg to differ. :D :D :D
The more my eye-sight deteriorates, the better my paint jobs look. lol lol lol

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2023, 06:22:27 PM »
I beg to differ. :D :D :D
The more my eye-sight deteriorates, the better my paint jobs look. lol lol lol
I 'm on your side too.  My entire miniature collection is a testament to mediocrity completed!
 ;D
Or perhaps it should be called "Complete Mediocrity!"

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2023, 03:54:13 PM »
I'm reduced to using on of them CSI magnifying glass/lamps, to see the little bastards these days. Herself opined...
"Wot's that all about yer div? You still can't see 'em when they're on the table!"
 >:D  >:(  >:D
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2023, 04:52:32 PM »
"My old mate, after the funeral, when everyone did a runner to the boozer, I went back to the graveside and sent his favourite regiments to Valhalla with him." [slightly edited Harry... ;)]

Mr. Faversham's quote above gives me ideas not only for my own demise but some of my closest gaming friends.  For myself, I think I will have a select - and small - group of miniatures set aside with the proviso that they will travel with me either into the ground or the inferno as my 'personal honor guard into eternity'.  Of course, my preference is for a green burial if affordable which may present a challenge or three but someone can sneak back in later and bury them and cover with a good size rock - or even better, under a newly planted tree.  Then, years later, some of the youngest of gamers who knew me can come and sit under a tree and contemplate what lies within the roots - my old miniatures and my old remains.  Sounds like fun.  And see below for why there need to be daisies planted, too.

And here is a meaningful thought for us all and great reason to have your name over your remains:  It is said we die twice, once when we take our last breath and forever when the last person says our name out loud.  Maybe someone will come by and read our name aloud and we will live on a little longer.  So, maybe I'll fund a nice, durable bench to go under that tree with my name on it and this quote "He may be pushing daises but he's also still pushing tin".  :). I guess I will have to have added a carving of some toy soldiers on the bench for the uninitiated.  Well, perhaps "...tin soldiers", but still the carving (and a steam train, too, for my other hobby).

Hmm, and maybe this too: "It is considered great luck to read the words here aloud".  Wow, I really will live forever!  Or, at least until the sun goes super nova or extinction of humans or maybe just extinction of any human literacy, it could go that way.  And what with global warming/climate change, I think best to pick someplace above the 1,500' foot line but well below the tree line.  lol

And, yes, I hope to keep playing for as long as possible and further heartened by the descriptioins in this thread of people playing into their 90s. 
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 05:01:48 PM by FifteensAway »

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2023, 02:21:54 PM »
A timely thread, as I am reading through the book Being Mortal.  A thought provoking and read all of us aging gamers (and those with aging parents) should take a look at.

https://www.amazon.com/Being-Mortal-Medicine-What-Matters/dp/1250076226/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=being+mortal+book&qid=1679321934&sr=8-1

Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2023, 02:36:51 PM »
For myself, I think I will have a select - and small - group of miniatures set aside with the proviso that they will travel with me either into the ground or the inferno as my 'personal honor guard into eternity'. 

Epic!
Make sure that your coffin will be shaped like a longboat...  :)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2023, 10:43:54 PM »
That’s what we are! The “mega collection” generation. Like generation Z just with a miniature addiction :P

I’m in my 40s and ten year old kid has already been discussing plans for how to realise value of my collection once I’m gone. Proud of them in a way.

Jesus Christ.
Don't know whether to be admiring or alarmed for you !

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2023, 07:34:59 PM »
Jesus Christ.
Don't know whether to be admiring or alarmed for you !

He will be fine, don't worry, he has years yet before his stash has appreciated enough value for the kids to want to realise a return on it.   :D

But lets face it the stopping point is different for us all, and lets hope we can all keep doing it for far longer than we expect to!

Also miniature stuff, lets hope we can keep doing that for far longer than we expect to as well!!

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2023, 02:34:15 PM »
 lol lol lol

in response to Tactalvanic purposeful double intendre!   :-*

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2023, 03:28:24 PM »
Late 60's baby boomer here so still have disposable income and was allowed to retire rather than die in harness.

I still want to buy - I do and love all the wonderful things I get

Carry on = big tick

I still want to play - I do but never found a playmate my age-ish/my type near me and I'm not a group person.  I don't want to travel for an hour each way for a game so solo is mainly the way I play.  Easy to lose impetus and prevaricate when playing yourself so end up fiddling around instead.  It seems I set up to play and then tear it all down again later without play as often as I play through a game.  I seem to have developed senior ADHD ;D

Carry on = a largish tick but I chastise myself for not doing more.

I still want to paint - well to be honest it's always been a bit of a chore to me as I paint to play rather than paint for painting's sake (see above). I do like the end result though and I feel obligated to play with painted toys.  The Lead Mountain is intimidating of course.

Carry on = yes, I'm going to have to.

I still want to buy rule sets - and do by the drove.  My tablet and bookshelves are full of them.  Love them, in a way they are my preferred form of reading.

Carry on = big tick

Through opportunity board games have become my main focus as it's easier to find people to play with and they are fantastic nowadays.  Wife also likes them and we with game with two other couples twice a week.  Downside is now I have a board game mountain too, but at least I don't have to paint them :) 

Will board games oust miniatures gaming = I think it's on the cards.

I will find it very hard to get shot of the little men and like others will most likely ask for a Viking Funeral surrounded by lead, plastic and paper.

First world problems, eh.  Aren't we the lucky ones.

No dear, they are not toys, they are models

Offline pauld

• Scientist
  • Being disintegrated makes me very angry!
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2023, 03:29:43 PM »
aah - another senior moment- deleted duplicate post

Nurse!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 03:32:16 PM by pauld »

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2023, 04:05:46 PM »
Carry on = big tick
It seems I set up to play and then tear it all down again later without play as often as I play through a game.  I seem to have developed senior ADHD ;D

I have refined this process by realising I'm not going to play, so not bothering to set it up in the first place :( Somewhat frustrating, but gives me more time to paint the figures I'm never going to play with.

Regarding funeral rights, there are a couple of dwarfs that I would like to accompany me into the underworld, but I'm not sure how a lawyer would react to me putting that in my will ???

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #44 on: March 23, 2023, 02:25:05 PM »
Dedicating a small time capsule and burying it someplace relevant sounds like an interesting option too.