Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:29:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690749
  • Total Topics: 118345
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm+ SPACENAM Jungle Fighters from Wargames Atlantic  (Read 1497 times)

Offline anton ryzbak

• Scientist
28mm+ SPACENAM Jungle Fighters from Wargames Atlantic
« on: March 17, 2023, 06:25:10 PM »

I just got a a chance to take a close-up look at these bad-boy. Great minis at a great price. You can find a full photo survey of the sprues here https://antonswargame.blogspot.com/2023/03/look-out-catachans-here-come-boys-from.html

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
Re: 28mm+ SPACENAM Jungle Fighters from Wargames Atlantic
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2023, 10:29:14 PM »
Nice review.

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2023, 10:36:09 PM »
22 heads per sprue! To make 4 minis! That's super generous.
Seem miles beyond the GW product. Thanks for the review.

Offline mcfonz

• Mastermind
    • Poison Spurs - blog and reviews
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2023, 12:14:31 AM »
22 heads per sprue! To make 4 minis! That's super generous.
Seem miles beyond the GW product. Thanks for the review.

Bit bizarre to have so many more heads than bodies. Though I suppose at least you will get a nice amount of variety in heads at least within a platoon.

The GW product is 20+ years old... possibly hand sculpted. Modern plastics should be better. In fact, if you compare the original Catachan Jungle Fighters to the later heavy weapon and command squads, you can see a ton of difference and improvements.

These are lovely though. I dare say I may end up getting some!
RP Tabletop Blog:

RP vlog channel: https://www.youtube.com/@RandomPlatypus

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2023, 10:41:53 AM »
They're nice, but be warned, they're a fair bit bigger than other recent Wargames Atlantic offerings. I wanted to mix them up with the stargrave plastics but I'm not sure how they'll look.

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2023, 11:03:22 AM »

Looks like a nice product overall. The muscular arms are a slight turn off for me as I would have liked them in fatigues but I suppose adding some shoulder pads and painting the arms as ‘body glove/ under armour’ would work.

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2023, 02:28:21 PM »

Heads look small on Nam bodies but work on Stargrave.

They look awful next to the scrawny Ooh Rah guys.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2023, 06:24:43 PM »
Bit bizarre to have so many more heads than bodies. Though I suppose at least you will get a nice amount of variety in heads at least within a platoon.
Alot of the Wargames Atlantic kits do this, especially their sci-fi lines.   It's a cheap way to make different uniformly head-dressed forces.  I'm pretty sure you can make all of these bare headed, bandana-ed or bereted, with a couple other varieties in lesser quantities.

It's especially effective in making dramatically different looking forces out of relatively mundane uniforms.  The Bulldog kit is perhaps the pinacle of this approach.
https://wargamesatlantic.com/products/bulldogs
Fairly generic early 20th century British'ish bodies but with enough heads are supplied to make them all uniformly with
-Brodie Helmetes
-Brodie with Gasmasks
-PIth Helmets
-Pith with Gasmasks
-Peaked caps
-Berets

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2023, 09:08:19 AM »
They seem to have a look of the old Warzone range to me, like the original Imperial Blood Berets and Capitol Free Marines. I'll probably end up getting a pack.

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2023, 01:37:35 PM »
Looks like a nice product overall. The muscular arms are a slight turn off for me as I would have liked them in fatigues but I suppose adding some shoulder pads and painting the arms as ‘body glove/ under armour’ would work.

If you have access to 3d printer or know someone who does, Rep has sleeved & gloved arm files which should be compatible.

They seem to have a look of the old Warzone range to me, like the original Imperial Blood Berets and Capitol Free Marines. I'll probably end up getting a pack.

Funnily enough, this is why I've bought some... I just can't decide whether to roll with the current weapons or find someone to knock up a file for the M-50 for Free Marines.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2023, 06:10:32 PM »

Funnily enough, this is why I've bought some... I just can't decide whether to roll with the current weapons or find someone to knock up a file for the M-50 for Free Marines.

The supplied weapons are pretty close to the M50.  Adding a handle on top would get you most of the way there, though you could move the barrel up a bit and tack a bigger mag (from a bolter perhaps...) on if you wanted to get really close.

I actually like the Spacenam guns better than the M50.  The M50 does that thing that so many Warzone guns do where the muzzle is not in alignment with the ejection port or -in this case- even the receiver.

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2023, 11:12:05 AM »
The supplied weapons are pretty close to the M50.  Adding a handle on top would get you most of the way there, though you could move the barrel up a bit and tack a bigger mag (from a bolter perhaps...) on if you wanted to get really close.

I actually like the Spacenam guns better than the M50.  The M50 does that thing that so many Warzone guns do where the muzzle is not in alignment with the ejection port or -in this case- even the receiver.

Fair comments.  I'll give it some thought.  I might whack a sight on instead of the carry handle, given Capitol's thing for 'Gucci' kit.  The big thing I'm stuggling with how to add at the moment is shoulder pads tbh! 

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2023, 03:31:53 PM »
The big thing I'm stuggling with how to add at the moment is shoulder pads tbh!

You could make both rifle carry handles and shoulder pads by trimming different-length pieces of some plasticard channel (example). A thin straight slice = carry handle, and a pair of wider slices, shaped with a knife/file = shoulder pads. Since they are the same material as the models, plastic glue will let you stick them on securely. :)