Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:51:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686648
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sourcing Pit Fighters  (Read 819 times)

Offline OldWest92

• Schoolboy
Sourcing Pit Fighters
« on: March 18, 2023, 02:18:02 PM »
Greetings all,

I was recently bitten by the ancients bug, a period I had always been interested in on a historical and cultural level but never gamed or collected. With a few other big projects on the go, I felt I needed something more manageable that could be finished and ready for play in a short time period. Then the idea of gladiators hit me, and it seemed a perfect fit.

I decided to dip my toes in with Sons of Mars, I like the idea of dice pools and other mechanics I won't get into detail on here. I have managed to source a nice little group of gladiators of the "arena" type. IE Murmillos, retiarius. So I am set in that respect.

What I am looking for is figures with a more "pit fighter" style to them. Being very lightly armoured or without it at all. Bonus points for improvised or crude weapons. I have found some by Wargames Foundry under their ancient civilians range, and others by Crusader Miniatures that would fit the bill (Iberians, Thracians etc) but aren't sold specifically as arena fighters.

So essentially I am asking if anyone can suggest some companies, ranges, or even specific miniatures which would fit the themes and ideas here. The rougher and tougher, the better!

Thanks fellas!

Offline gostgost13

• Assistant
Re: Sourcing Pit Fighters
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 04:36:30 PM »
Footsore have a rioting mob pack,in the Gangs of Rome section.There is a rumour about roman gang/mob plastic box on Kickstarter

Offline gostgost13

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 04:40:38 PM »
Blacktree Design have some gladiators in the Roman range.They are more fantasy than Roman

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 05:39:19 PM »
Footsore have a rioting mob pack,in the Gangs of Rome section.There is a rumour about roman gang/mob plastic box on Kickstarter

It's more than a rumour - it's a stretch goal which has been passed today (£44,000) for a box of plastic citizens/fighters.  Will be produced by Wargames Atlantic - but fulfilment is expected to take 8-10 months on the full KS, iirc.

Offline gostgost13

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 06:17:56 PM »

Offline ithoriel

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 06:34:29 PM »
EM4 Minatures have some gladiators, including a Criminal Gladiator who is in tunic and sandals with a sword.
There are 100 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data.

Offline cadbren

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2023, 10:59:48 AM »

http://www.eurekamin.com.au/images/100HAW104.jpg

https://www.dragon-bait-minis.com/shop/miniatures/sculptors/david-soderquist/62-fearless-heroes/

Unfortunately what you probably want is the gang fighter range from Gangs of Rome which is on hold until the new edition comes out.

There are fantasy figures such as various thieves, rogues which would likely work but you'd need to spend some time scouring through the more medieval looking ones. There are also skirmishers from various ancient armies which tend to be lightly armoured or no armour.
Good hunting.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2023, 01:19:16 PM »
Would you consider kitbashing some from plastic kits? I'm pretty sure that you could buy some individual sprues of models in tunics, cloaks, and even semi-naked, armed with a mixture of axes, swords, and shields which could all be cut down to make more improvised weapons such as knives, clubs, and small wooden bucklers. Some kits to consider might be:

Wargames Atlantic Dark Age Irish - Lots of bare feet, and you'll need to shave off any broaches, but it's got a good mix of components to get you started, including slings, spears/javelins, clubs (may need trimming), and even some dogs (if you're happy to paint differently so they look less like Irish Hounds).

From Victrix, you have Balearic Slingers, Greek Peltasts, Carthaginian Citizen Infantry, Numidian Infantry, and Unarmoured Samnites. On their own, each is is not quite right, but if you mix and match between them, you should be able to get some great results. They all have a mixture of modest weapons, a few bits of armour/helmets, and lots of togas/tunics/similar light clothing and bare legs. The slingers and Peltasts also have slings.

And Perry Miniatures have the Mahdist Ansar box if you want some suitable models with a bit more ethnic diversity (perhaps as Freemen or escaped slaves?). Again, lots of models that are lightly-dressed and armed with simple weapons. A frame of their Zulus might also be worth considering too, for the torsos, heads, and arms.

Warlord Games, Gripping Beast, and Fireforge may also be a worth a look too for some suitable options.

You should be aware that there is a likelihood of slightly different sizes between the kits, so for example some heads may look big/small on certain other bodies; but if you're prepared to mix them up, you shouldn't have too much difficulty in getting things that look good together. Plastic is easy to cut, and glues well in a strong bond with plastic cement, and so is pretty forgiving to chop around and mix up different kits with to get what you want. Whatever is left on the sprues can got into a box for use on future models/projects.

You can often find sellers on eBay who sell you single frames (they often have lots of different sets, so you can save on shipping if you buy them all from the same seller), and if you're in the UK, The Sprue Shop also offers this service. I'm sure there are others too. :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2023, 01:22:04 PM by Major_Gilbear »