Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:13:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Crimson Skies: Shootout over Manhattan  (Read 23732 times)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Crimson Skies: Shootout over Manhattan
« on: October 28, 2009, 08:42:52 PM »
I donīt know better where to post it, because itīs alternative interwar. So I post it here:

Last nightīs game was the first time we made it through all 24 turns until fuel ran low and we had to quit the fight.
Doc wanted to pilot a Brigand (the plane in the foreground, the other is a Coyote), thus I lent two planes to him. This is his "White Feather" flight from Navajo Nation:

Their opponents were my proud southerners from "Dixie Blue" flight, leader Jason Hambone and his wingman Fred "showstarter" Crawford had both been gathering experience in previous dogfights. I had a Brigand too and a Fury which proved to be very useful by Walter and Doc in previous games.

We started on opposing table ends. Scycrapers made obstacles all around and we got into a wild manoeuvring around the aerodrome in the centre.

Though we finally got into firing positions and gave lead to each other. Brigand pilot Evander Doughnut and Fury pilot Fred Crawford were equally quick on the trigger. We had to roll it out and Doc beat my 9 with an unbelievable 10...  :banghead:

Even worse: Docīs Coyoty could fire at my Brigand while I faced the wrong direction to fight back...  :rant:

My poor Jason Hambone swallowed lead by pounds...

...and the brave Brigandīs wingspars got surgically severed. The pilot didnīt manage to bail out and I lost another valuable veteran.

Meanwhile the Fury and the Brigand exchanged lead as well. I even sunk two drill rockets into Docīs Brigandīs wings each.

We curved around for a while with me permanently tailing the crippled Brigand, but Doc couldnīt get his Coyote in a firing position. Regretfully I had lost three guns, all rockets and the remaining two guns got jammed. I could have fired at the Brigand each turn if not for those damned guns!  :banghead:

Turn 24 saw me pumping some more lead into the Brigandīs tail again, wiping out the gun turret, but the game was over.

I had to fly home according to the rules and had to consider myself the looser as I had lost a plane and a pilot...  :bye:
Though fighting through 24 turns within three hours was a record for us!

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Re: Crimson Skies: Shootout over Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 08:49:48 PM »
The best map they ever published for the game! And such lovely paintjobs on the models. Great report and sounds like you had great fun.

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 08:49:58 PM »
When Crimson Skies first came out, I was part of a group that played once a month. There were anywhere from 5 to 8 of us on the board, so to keep thinks simple, each pilot had one plane and no rockets. It was always two teams chosen randomly.

I typically flew the Valiant (I think that is what it was---.30 cal, fast and maneuverable).

IN one mammoth pick-up game at a convention we had 10 people. That game was memorable for me being the only pilot left on my side and avoiding 5 other planes for about half a dozen turns before we called it a draw. Two of the planes went down on my team due to pilot error (they flew into mountains).

Your planes look fantastic and thanks for posting this, it brought back great memories!
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 09:09:54 PM »
Way Kewl!

Never saw a game of Crimson Skies, so an eye opener for me.  Very nice.

And, of course, Michi, your painting is splendid!

Offline Tom Reed

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 09:13:19 PM »
Those planes are beautiful.
I know a guy who made an in scale dirigible for the game. All of the engines and gun turrets were magnetic and could be pulled off when damaged or for storage. The thing was at least 3 feet long!
Jane! Stop this crazy thing!

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 09:44:51 PM »
I know a guy who made an in scale dirigible for the game. The thing was at least 3 feet long!

Now you know two:

Famous LZ-129 "Hindenburg"

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 10:02:51 PM »
I had a cardboard Zep too, some 60cm long (it had a base made of the number of "Zep Bases" for the standard Zep Map). Some great games with that one, but it didnīt survive a move. Sadly, no pics of that one.

Offline Phil_McCrackin

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 10:21:22 PM »
I've been in lust with Crimson Skies for years.  This is a beautiful action report, with beautiful planes.

I confess . . . . I keep wanting to play it with 28mm scale planes, over a 28mm scale "A very British (Or American) Civil War" game happening on the ground . . . . .
Member of the Our Lady of Perpetual Rugged Adventure. On death we will be judged by the triumvirate. Tintin will decide if he would write about us. Indiana Jones, if he would travel with us, and Jesus if our adventures were righteous. Amen.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 12:05:52 AM »
I've been in lust with Crimson Skies for years.  This is a beautiful action report, with beautiful planes.

I confess . . . . I keep wanting to play it with 28mm scale planes, over a 28mm scale "A very British (Or American) Civil War" game happening on the ground . . . . .

Oh!OH! I am so down with that!
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 12:44:38 AM »
Man, beautiful looking minis! Just beautiful. I've been painting some Crimson Skies over the last little while and I feel like throwing them out now!  Poor imitations....  :(

Offline Crudeboy

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 05:35:57 AM »
Man, what a surprise to see something for Crimson Skies.

I confess I never actually got to play the original FASA game, only a few games of the later watered-down "clicky" version. I've always loved the setting and the aircraft designs.

But yes, gorgeous paintjob on those planes! The zepp is amazing as well.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 06:01:21 AM »
I never actually got to play the original FASA game

Do it, if you ever get the chance. There are worlds between the old and clicky version, although the models exact each other.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 09:42:54 AM »
I introduced a couple of players to the FASA Crimson Skies a couple of weeks ago. Time to see if they fancy another game.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 10:46:13 AM »
Wow - I too have neve seen Crimson Skies or really knew too much about it, but that looks great. The data sheets seem to be rather complicated though, how easy is it to pick up the rules?

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 11:48:48 AM »
The data sheet is complicated only in that there can be a lot of boxes to cross off. The rules are fairly easy to learn. We taught players and we're playing a game within 10-15 minutes.

The real challenge is the pre-plotted movement. It's great fun trying to outwit your enemy.