Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 03:35:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 10 Pfennigs  (Read 988 times)

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
10 Pfennigs
« on: April 07, 2023, 10:25:39 AM »
My great-nephew has a new hobby: Metal detecting. He's just found a 1940 Ten Pfennig piece in our front field, complete with eagle and swastika.

Pondering how the hell it could have ended up here on the Welsh border. There were a lot of POWs working on the farms around here during the war, so I guess that's the most likely answer.  Thought it might be fun to share. Was definitely not expecting that.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
Re: 10 Pfennigs
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 11:08:40 AM »
Great find, and yes you are probably right as to most likely cause of it getting there.

When I was kid, messing about in our back garden, I once dug up a brass ARP button which made sense but not far from it I also found another brass button with a skull and cross bones on it of a similar vintage, still not sure what that one was?

Odd  :D
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2023, 11:40:06 AM »
Interesting. Yes quite possibly a POW but typically they were divested of such items upon capture. Equally likely someone brought it back as a souvenir. Just possible it fell from the flying suit pocket of Luftwaffe aircrew shot down in the area. Interesting either way. Give my regards to McKenzie Crook btw.

@ Storm Wolf.

Skull and crossbones brass button is mostly likely to be 17/21 Lancers. Your button look anything like this:
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2023, 11:44:55 AM »
When my wife took an fancy to metal detect, we bought what turned out to be
a very basic model. Even when we dropped a large bunch of keys on the lawn,
& could SEE them, we could not 'detect' them.
Needless to say we never had the level of result that your grand-nephew had.

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2023, 11:48:03 AM »
Interesting. Yes quite possibly a POW but typically they were divested of such items upon capture

Yeah, that's what I thought would happen, which is why I was a bit puzzled.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2023, 12:33:05 PM »
When my wife took an fancy to metal detect, we bought what turned out to be
a very basic model. Even when we dropped a large bunch of keys on the lawn,
& could SEE them, we could not 'detect' them.
Needless to say we never had the level of result that your grand-nephew had.

lol lol

You reminded me of a comment made by some US Army engineers testing out a a Soviet mine detector. back in the Cold War Their conclusion was that 'it wouldn't detect a metal chair in an empty room'.

Online Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2023, 01:58:03 PM »
Speaking of Soviet stuff, he's just found a 1974 five Kopek piece.  He's building up to it: I'm sure we'll have a Saxon burial horde by tea time! :)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2023, 03:04:13 PM »
You reminded me of a comment made by some US Army engineers testing out a a Soviet mine detector. back in the Cold War Their conclusion was that 'it wouldn't detect a metal chair in an empty room'.

lol lol lol
Sounds like some of my (Wargaming WW2) Russians, who failed to set light to
a log cabin with a flame thrower!!!

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2023, 03:11:39 PM »
Interesting. Yes quite possibly a POW but typically they were divested of such items upon capture. Equally likely someone brought it back as a souvenir. Just possible it fell from the flying suit pocket of Luftwaffe aircrew shot down in the area. Interesting either way. Give my regards to McKenzie Crook btw.

@ Storm Wolf.

Skull and crossbones brass button is mostly likely to be 17/21 Lancers. Your button look anything like this:

Carlos,

Yup I think you are probably right, I did a little google detective work after I posted and found the same thing. Also I live in Kent and not far from the Thames approximately where the 17/21 Lancers were stationed in 1940.

Many thanks

Glen

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2023, 10:11:15 PM »
Speaking of Soviet stuff, he's just found a 1974 five Kopek piece.  He's building up to it: I'm sure we'll have a Saxon burial horde by tea time! :)

The mystery deepens. Are your lands being overrun by nocturnal, itinerant coin dealers? Has Antiques Roadshow ever visited?  Do your farm buildings look like they may have a history of use as a safe house by various sleeper agents from the Abwehr through to the KGB?

Good luck with the Saxon horde. I think you'll find its more likely modern equivalent is a Wrexham FC pin, a very rusty Joe 90 Badge (circa 1969), a handful of roofing nails and a selection of bottle tops of indeterminate age but definitely mid to late 20thC.  :)

Just remember that in Detectorists they passed over the Saxon horde at the end of the first series. The only solution is to dig up the entire field. lol