Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:03:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686611
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 757
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ottomans and Napoleon in Egypt?  (Read 3939 times)

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Ottomans and Napoleon in Egypt?
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2023, 11:28:40 PM »
For what it's worth the Minifigs Ottomans are listed as 28mm and not as part of their 25mm ranges which have a dedicated listing. I understand they have branched out considerably scale wise since I last bought them.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2023, 04:34:07 AM »
Regarding the Dixon range I acquired some samples last year and they are much smaller than more recent ranges. Emperor Toads Emporium may have some useful French and do produce a small range of nice-looking Mameluke cavalry.

Offline MartinD

• Bookworm
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2023, 08:13:55 AM »
Yeah, I got a few samples of the Dixon's range and they're tiny, not compatible with any other ranges I own.

Will be getting the Perry Ottomans, but waiting a little until more skirmish poses are released. Unless I can convince someone I know to join the project, it'll be an all combatants project.

I'm hoping maybe a TFL supplement for Napoleon in Egypt for SP2 will be released.

Offline Peterem

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2023, 01:50:40 PM »
Buried deep in Andy Grubb's Britannia Miniatures small 28mm Napoleonic range are some Mameluke cavalry, unusually for modern times cast in one piece (so rider and horse combined). Slightly old-fashioned in looks, but modern sized and full of character. Only a few French infantrymen to pit against them though.

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2023, 06:48:26 PM »
Emperor Toads Emporium may have some useful French and do produce a small range of nice-looking Mameluke cavalry.

Those look pretty good.  The revolutionary wars stuff is good too.  They have a deal on for the Mamelukes today.
https://emperortoadsemporium.co.uk/store/product/mamelukes-charge-charge

Buried deep in Andy Grubb's Britannia Miniatures small 28mm Napoleonic range are some Mameluke cavalry, unusually for modern times cast in one piece (so rider and horse combined). Slightly old-fashioned in looks, but modern sized and full of character. Only a few French infantrymen to pit against them though.

Are they still in business?  They didn't deliver my last order or answer my enquiries.

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2023, 10:19:38 PM »
Doh!  Of course they do.  My memory is worse than my Search-foo.  Thanks for the reminder though, this thread will at least serve as a list for others now.  Those Matchlock figures are nice but sadly there are no variations.

And they are huge. Don’t mix well with Brigade, Perry or Trent Miniatures...

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2023, 02:42:50 AM »

Good to know. Saved me a quid there then.

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2023, 02:55:19 PM »

That is disappointing

Offline duc de limbourg

• Scientist
  • aldegarde.blogspot.com
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2023, 06:50:06 AM »
Of course there are also the 28mm old glory ottomans in their “decline….?” Range. There are great pictures of this range used for the 1806 russian-turkish war

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2023, 06:25:29 PM »
Good to know. Saved me a quid there then.

I’ll do some comparison pics when I’m back from my hols...

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2023, 07:55:48 PM »
I’ll do some comparison pics when I’m back from my hols...

Thanks

Of course there are also the 28mm old glory ottomans in their “decline….?” Range. There are great pictures of this range used for the 1806 russian-turkish war

Ah yes!  Another one I knew about but forgot.  Thanks for the reminder.  The pictures on the web site are not good but I have seen the figures painted up nicely.  I think there was a big battle on the Lonely Gamers blog.  That now appears to be gone.  It was on Elite Miniatures AU more recently but that seems down now as well.

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #26 on: April 02, 2023, 01:26:03 PM »

Larger pic click here

Now that I look at the Trent figures next to the Matchlock ones, there is less difference in height than I remembered (about   1mm to eye level.) They are also chunky enough to work with them (and a big hat helps!) The chap half painted is an Old Glory figure from one of the command packs.

What I have called Castaway Miniatures (2. and 3.) should read "Casting Room". These are the second rate figures that Foundry wants to disown but also sell to people! They are a bit Hollywood over historic in style but I quite like them. Not sure if they are currently available online but I have seen them in their Newark shop and occasionally at shows.

The two Perry sculpts are from the Sudan range (5.0 ) and the Napoleonic range (6.) I have also converted Perry plastic ACW Zouaves into generic Ottoman infantry for the mid 18th C. I expect it would be a bit more appropriate for later armies...

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2023, 08:16:06 AM »
Hi Adam,

Sorry for the slow response, I missed your excellent update.  That's great detail and really helpful, thanks.  I've got some of the Trent figures but hadn't painted them, so didn't realise how big they were.  That's disappointing.  They look to go well with the Matchlock size-wise though.  I have some of the other manufacturers on order.  I'll do a comparison shot when they arrive.

Offline AdamPHayes

• Mad Scientist
    • Wargame Warrior
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2023, 05:53:18 PM »
To be fair I’m probably less worried than some about mixing sizes of figures, if the styles don’t clash too badly.

This unit has Warfare, Redoubt and Matchlock figures together in the command stand...

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2023, 11:04:01 PM »
To be fair I’m probably less worried than some about mixing sizes of figures, if the styles don’t clash too badly.

My sentiments exactly.  Just say the chap with the flag is just a tall fellow!  ;)
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"