Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:05:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The virtual club  (Read 1058 times)

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
The virtual club
« on: April 07, 2023, 05:21:48 PM »
I'd like to share the idea of a virtual club and discuss it with you all. I think it's something overlooked, a potential thing hiding in plain sight. I started one a few weeks ago and realized after that it's the first I've seen, and I'd like to introduce the concept as I see it. Maybe these exist already and I'm just not aware? Or is this as new and different as I believe it is and does it hold the potential I think it does?

Background

I have a sense that in the early stages of the pandemic, many tabletop gamers, like everyone else, started exploring virtual shared activities for the first time. I mean real-time activities with at least voice and often video. Zoom became a household name. People with a little knowledge of technology got whole social circles onto Discord, most of whom had never heard of it and wouldn't have gone near it otherwise.

I say I have a sense because I'm only aware of what my own circles did. I'd love to see statistics and informed articles about it.

But now my sense--again, gained only by my limited personal observation--is that the "urgency of normal" has acted like a steamroller, and the miniatures community, like the larger population, is attempting to emulate "the way things were" as closely as possible. I have a sense that intimate virtual spaces created during the pandemic are being abandoned.

Which I think is a shame.

First, because I think those technologies like Discord promise more meaningful human interactions than the last generation of technologies such as the--ahem--traditional web forum. Which is not to disparage the value of a forum like LAF. Far from it. I could sing the praises of web forums like LAF in detail if I wasn't talking about something else today. But ask yourself, would you categorize time spent on LAF as social activity? Maybe some do, but I, personally do not. Not instinctively, and neither on careful reflection. I think I need to have a human being on the other end of a line, i.e. voice at least. So a "watch party" doesn't cut it either.

Before the pandemic, I regularly attended a weekly game night hosted by my local historical club at a local game store. During a typical week, this is the only few hours of the week I characterized as both hobby time and social time. I would weigh the value of the game night and considered it doubly valuable, both as an outlet for my hobby and as social time, getting to spend time with great people.

I had that, and I could have filled other nights by attending other weekly events hosted by other groups. But I'm lucky in that regard. I live in a major city with a thriving gaming community. I realize others may not have even that one night a week, or have something one night a week and want more.

So I think even before the pandemic it would have been wonderful if there was a social space between an in-person event on one side and web "social networks" like forums/instagram/facebook on the other.

Second, because the pandemic is ongoing.  Some people are not willing or able to return to the way things were before because they understand the continuing risks. They may be vulnerable or they may they may simply understand abandoning precautions such as masks is essentially signing up to get covid once or several times a year, or at least carry it and infect others, putting lives of others at risk and adding to the cost of the pandemic, however you want to measure it, human cost, monetary cost.

The Virtual Club

So, my story. During the pandemic I took my RPG campaign virtual, I started a family Discord, I joined another one a friend started, and I started one for hobby hangouts. Mostly, the hangouts were once-a-week for a few hours with just a few of us.

It was a big success. It was a lot of fun, and it was valuable social time, which was in short supply. I can't pay attention in a zoom beyond about 35 minutes and then I'm drained. But if my hands and part of my brain is engaged and I'm chatting with fellow geeks, I can be social for a couple hours on discord and come out feeling great.

Up to now, the Discord has continued and our weekly hangouts are going strong and have expanded to two/week.

But, before making it a club, I did not succeed in recruiting people either from my old in-person club from my hometown or my local club. The former won't give up this FB message thread as the one means of virtual communication. It amazes me. Not even an FB group. Just a messenger thread with people copied. So I came to the conclusion that most of the people I already know are too busy or too casual. They have kids, busy lives, get hobby time were they can, often late at night.

I realized this idea has select appeal, but for those it appealed to it could be of real value.

Then one day I was listening to The Strange Case of Dr. Jeckyll and Mr. Hyde, wherein the protagonist spends his free time at his local society club, when it hit me that a subtle shift in the context for the Discord was everything.

So here's my vision. A virtual club. Close-knit and on a first-name basis. An intentional community of more-than-casual miniatures people with a regular hobby practice. A private group grown from word-of-mouth.  A safe and welcoming space where we can have nice things. A place you stop in after work during your hobby time.

Everything built around in-person events. On Discord, this means the voice channel is the nucleus. It's a virtual place you can "go to" and "spend time in" after work, like a society club of yesteryear (but without any racism, classism, sexism, etc). There is a schedule of events and also, any time you stop in there is likely as not a few people hanging out and painting in voice.

What happens at the club is hangouts, round-table style and incredibly casual, come-as-you-are, video encouraged but not necessary. Maybe more structured events in the future. Any chat supporting that. A focus on hobby support and even social support more broadly. Sharing goals and objectives and helping each other achieve them. Hopefully without gamifying and competition, but through support and encouragement.

Bottom-up approach. Stick to this core strength and only build out what is required based on growth, etc.

Contrast with the way I see Discord being used outside my personal social circles. (granted, I don't have a lot of experience. But take the Discord server "minipainting" for example. Big. Too big to feel like a social experience. Prioritizing growth and using member-count as a guage of success. Emulating old-fashioned modalities like a forum and reddit. "Gamifying" mini painting and making it competitive. Seriously? Sigh. Never seen the voice channel used.

Take "Warhammer Fantasy Battles / The Old World." The purpose is to be the main Warhammer Fantasy presense on Discord. To that end, everyone needs to be welcome. No politics, etc. I literally can't see any difference between this and a web forum. It's a web forum.

Or take any number of Discords that are linked to commercial companies where it's the community for those particular games.

It seems a real shame to me, because it seems to be missing the "point" of Discord, and more, because it is coloring what people perceive Discord to be. When I started, I thought it was self-evident that essentially Discord was the voice channel with the ability to chat around the voice channel. I felt that my approach to expand slowly from a group of friends and stay on a first-name basis was the default modality of Discord. But now I see I need to advocate for it.

So, I want to put in a good word for the concept of the virtual miniatures club or virtual game club, create awareness of it and the need it fills. I'd like this thread to be about the hows and whys. I am very new to creating a community and I am seeking guidance both in general principles/approach and specific strategies. And I also want to share what I am learning. Specifics about managing a Discord community, finding the right people who are interested and see this as valuable, lessons from managing and participating in in-person clubs that may be relevant, etc.

I'm intentionally calling mine a virtual miniatures club because it is the miniature which is the core, the essential thing that brings us together. It is an "intentional community" and there is no goal to be the one-and-only in its class so you don't need to have a no-politics rule. You can state what is acceptable upon entry and checking accept is requisite for entry. That, very importantly, allows it to be a safe space. A place safe from risk of covid as well as safe in many other contexts. My club is explicitly pro gender rights, anti-racist, anti-ablist, anti-agist, anti-fascist. It is on a sign beside the door.

Part of my inspiration came from my partner, who helps moderate online groups. We are COVID-cautious, and she helps share information and support the COVID-cautious community, which includes many from vulnerable groups who have been left behind by policy. As I build this miniatures club community, I am conscious of doing it in a way wherein we are allies and are welcoming. I realize that for many an additional social connection point is something nice to have where for some it can be a rare and valuable safe social space, and I have a side mission to connect with other COVID-cautious hobbyists. If you are among us, I'd particularly like to hear your thoughts!

When opened the door to new members, I made a new instagram account, made a few videos to explain my essential idea, then posted to my "close friends" on IG basically saying ask me about hobby hangouts and my club, then connected with them and the new account, and send Discord invites in PM.

It has been really great the last few weeks. Several people have joined and some of those have joined a hangout or two. As expected, people come and get a feel for it, and some are still deciding I think if they want to join the hangouts and if they can fit it in to their schedule. This the rate of growth I was hoping for, and it would be a strain if it was much more. You can imagine if a dozen people showed up to join your physical in-person club. It would be a lot. I consider one new person every few weeks a total success, and a group holding at eight or more regulars a total success.

I see potential for growth beyond that, though. With everyone spaced out across the globe, I'm inviting everyone to post their time slots and we can put more hangouts on the calendar. If we get big, I see the potential for smaller circles forming, likely around common time zones.

I can talk all day about this but will leave off there for now. I'd love to hear what people think.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: The virtual club
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2023, 05:21:54 AM »
I would certainly like to play ion a Zoom game- until very recently hadn't been able top get out of the house at all.

Please include me.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 07:35:39 AM »
I wrote a really eloquent long reply full of reason and justification and social commentary etc...

just deleted it for the third time.

I am introverted, work far to many hours and enjoy LAF for what it is.

LAF is like having many pen pals on tap, strangers that don't always feel that strange  ::)

Its a good book with the drink of choice to sit down to that is interactive, not always predictable, informative and entertaining at times.

What you suggest would be an enhancement to social interactions, something I lack, its an opportunity to expand experiences and interaction with people sometimes similar in their choices of activities.

It would be interesting to expand into using platforms like zoom or discord beyond work tools or simply command and control for MMO games, as are my only current experience of them.

In short

I don't mind giving it  a try if I can. please also include me in future if opportunity is available.

Offline Dolnikan

• Librarian
    • Dolnikan Games
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2023, 11:47:08 AM »
This certainly is something that sounds interesting especially if it's not a fixed appointment but more something to drop in on when there's time and the like. I often play RPGs online and then I'm often also painting and the like. Generally, I find that painting combines well with conversation so this sounds like a fun experiment and I really hope that it'll grow and then you'll see it Budding off. As you say, online groups can often be too large to still have nice conversations.

I however also really like the classic forum structure because of the organisation it offers and the potential for more long form discussions. In comparison to for instance Reddit it also is infinitely better because that's just an impossible mess to keep track of conversations and the like.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2023, 12:22:32 PM »
I however also really like the classic forum structure because of the organisation it offers and the potential for more long form discussions. In comparison to for instance Reddit it also is infinitely better because that's just an impossible mess to keep track of conversations and the like.

Amen to the classic fora structure. absolutely superior to Facebook et al.

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2023, 01:43:43 AM »
Thanks for your thoughts! I'll send you invites to the club (called the Lead Mountain Club) in PM, Atheling and Tactalvanic.  Dolnikan, if you want to check out too, just let me know.

Amen to the classic fora structure. absolutely superior to Facebook et al.

Yeah, I agree as well. And a community like LAF is irreplaceable. If it disappeared overnight we may be able to migrate elsewhere with partial success, but it wouldn't be the same, and it would be almost impossible to build another like it from scratch given the forum's current position in the landscape. Really don't like Reddit and Facebook in particular. I haven't been able to fit in as much long form LAF participation as I'd like in the last few years, but that is mainly because I am dedicated to using as much of time working on figures vs oggling others and daydreaming.  :`

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2023, 01:50:33 AM »
Atheling Tactalvanic, and I tried sent PMs but for some reason they don't show up in my sent messages list, so not sure if they actually sent. If they did not, let me know and I'll try again!

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2023, 06:36:09 AM »
Received link, thankyou.

PMs are only logged in your sending history if you select to save a copy, if I remember correctly and its working.

Saved and stored for trying/joining  :)

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2023, 02:42:13 PM »
Received link, thankyou.

PMs are only logged in your sending history if you select to save a copy, if I remember correctly and its working.

Saved and stored for trying/joining  :)

Ah, thanks and good to hear! I was hurrying to get out the door for something and missed that option. Discord links expire in 7 days so don't wait too long.  :) Happy to send a fresh link whenever but knowing myself and how infrequently I use PMs here, I may not see a PM right away.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2023, 04:56:45 PM »
I'm in if it's games played via Zoom etc.

Offline Dolnikan

• Librarian
    • Dolnikan Games
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2023, 07:57:51 PM »
Thanks for your thoughts! I'll send you invites to the club (called the Lead Mountain Club) in PM, Atheling and Tactalvanic.  Dolnikan, if you want to check out too, just let me know.

Yeah, I agree as well. And a community like LAF is irreplaceable. If it disappeared overnight we may be able to migrate elsewhere with partial success, but it wouldn't be the same, and it would be almost impossible to build another like it from scratch given the forum's current position in the landscape. Really don't like Reddit and Facebook in particular. I haven't been able to fit in as much long form LAF participation as I'd like in the last few years, but that is mainly because I am dedicated to using as much of time working on figures vs oggling others and daydreaming.  :`

Thank you. I think it would be very interesting to join up and chat a bit while painting and the like.