Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:12:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690846
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!  (Read 10031 times)

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
Re: Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2023, 10:23:08 AM »
Thanks Tik!

Well I played the 4th game...

After the first turn I thought the civilians were stuffed but they pulled it back. The light MSU performed well though it kept rolling a 'Reload' on its burst dice so only got a couple of shots in; I was concerned that it would be too powerful but I think I got the balance about right. The summer holidays is almost upon us so I'm not sure when I'm going to get my final game in.

Haven't quite managed to make a start on my human archers yet but once they are done it's just my hero to go before I start on my goblins.
My current project...Classic Wargame - An experiment in 24" of wargaming!

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=140633.new#new

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2023, 08:50:52 PM »
Things have been fairly quiet here in the lands of the Lost Egg but I have finally managed to finish my bowmen...

These guys seemed to take aaagggeeesss to finish...though a 2 week holiday did kinda stretch out the painting a bit. I'm glad they are done though as for now it's just the hero to go and I've already started on him.

Game-wise I'm thinking of mixing fantasy and sci-fi so my humans might be facing off against some more advanced foes soon...ish...

Offline krieghund

• Scientist
  • Beyond all Reason
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2023, 07:57:31 AM »
Nicely done.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2023, 08:48:21 PM »
Thank you krieghund.

Less than a week and my Hero is painted. Behold the Warband of Sir Bors the Bold...

Just realised I forgot to take any snaps of Sir Bors himself (beyond this one) but he's easy to spot leading the first group of spears. He was built using the Frostgrave Knights Sprue so his wargear is a little fancier than his men though he is painted much the same. With my Classic Wargame rules the characters leading a force are Veterans and Heroes but they are a long way from the death dealing machines of other games. Hopefully, Sir Bors will fair well against his opponents in the next scenario I am brewing up...

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2023, 01:26:46 AM »
Very nice collection - looking forward to see them in action.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2023, 01:07:47 PM »
Thank you  8)

Now while I've been quiet on this plog recently I have been busy, I've made an entry for the Build Something Small Competition here on LAF but I've also have a few other projects on the go.

First up, a pulse pistol...

As I've said before I think the pistols on the SG frames are a little small, especially compared to some of the sci-fi looking rifle so I had a go at sculpting my own (see my Ad-Mech earlier in the thread). But, I wasn't too happy with it so I decided to have a go at making a physical version I could hold then at some point I'll go back and resculpt it for minis.

Next up is a smaller board (18" / 45cm)...

I'm not really sure why I decided to build this, the idea has kinda been hanging around in my head so I though I'd have a go in an effort to try and exorcise it  lol At some point I'll try gaming on it. In the WIP pic you can see where I added domed aluminium rivets to break it down into 15cm squares.

Finally, I've been thinking about a new setting for my CW games, inspired by my entry into the competition and the human warband I've been building...

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=142725.0

You can find the WIP pics of my entry as well as some fluff. I've also had a go at designing the actual buried ship. I did a few sketches and whatnot but decided to first design a shuttle as a warm up.

At some point I'll have build this bad boy up, I fancy making it with a removable roof. I've drawn it up to scale so I can always colour it and use it for gaming if I wanted. My aim is to build up a number of ships then I can kinda use them like dungeons plans for games.

On top of all this in one of the board pics above you can see a unit of 5 Protectors who I've been working on; I still have some work to do to finish them but that'll take a back seat for a while as I have so many jobs to do at home and at work...plus a Krampus mini from Yule last year to build and paint courtesy of my wife.

Too...much...to...do...  o_o

Offline krieghund

• Scientist
  • Beyond all Reason
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2023, 08:23:02 AM »
Nice!

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2023, 09:12:41 AM »
You sir are a god of doing stuff. Especially with cardboard.

I wish I could get even a portion as much done.

Keep going, never give up etc.  :D

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2023, 10:36:40 PM »
Thanks guys. Tactalvanic you are too kind  8)

It took me a while and three different versions but I finally settled on a design for my cargo ship thats buried beneath my food bunker. Heres the food bunker WIP...

...and here's the ship design...

If you look at the ship side on then the blue lines represent the food bunker. As before I drew the plans to scale with the Stargrave minis so I can actually use the floor plan in games. I might have to have a crack at colouring them in at some point...

Offline krieghund

• Scientist
  • Beyond all Reason
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2023, 08:06:33 AM »
Coming along nicely.

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2023, 09:01:09 PM »
Thanks krieghund.

The past few weeks I've been busy with work and home stuff but I have managed a few conversions. First up are my Protectors that I kinda revealed last time (in one of the 45cm board pics)...

These guys are Stargrave Troopers with Tau Breacher heads and shoulder pads from Anvil Industries. I'm really happy with how these guys turned out and the different parts blended well together.

Next up I had an idea for some Space Elves that I've been playing about with...

The first guy was attempt 1 and mixes a Stargrave Merc 2 body with an Oathmark Light Elf head...but it didn't really work for me so I built the next guy. He uses a SG Merc 1 body and arms with a head from the Merc 2 frame (I think) and some more Anvil shoulder pads. Now, I was pretty happy with him but he needed a helm ( I like to give my unhelmed minis helms on their belts) plus I'd need some helms for his comrades so I had a cruise on tinternet and found the one on chappie 3. This is a drone controller for Maelstroms Edge and I think it works really well, standing out from the helms of the Protectors above and though it lacks the height of an elf helm it still has that curvey & pointy look. So for guy 2 I carved the insides out of another helm and stuck it on his belt.

Finally, here's my converted Space Races so far...

Here we have a very well equipped orc, 2 elves, a human trooper and an armed human civilian.

My next project is to paint the Protectors and a Krampus mini that my wife gave me lat Yule. It's my aim to get Krampus painted up and fitted in a display glass-thingy before Yule...

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2023, 01:53:07 AM »
Those Protectors with the Tau heads really pop!

What a great idea!  :-*

Offline Lost Egg

• Mastermind
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2023, 06:50:14 AM »
Thanks Ray, though I can't claim credit for the idea as I ruthlessly stole it from someone else on LAF...can't remember who it was.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2023, 03:37:47 AM »
Tau heads look ace and I like the harder sci-fi space elves.

Andrew
BeneathALeadMountain
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline krieghund

• Scientist
  • Beyond all Reason
« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2023, 01:49:52 PM »
Very impressive set of conversions.