Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:25:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 15mm Altuos Alternative Armies Furioso minitaures  (Read 1609 times)

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
    • It's a band thingy I play in
15mm Altuos Alternative Armies Furioso minitaures
« on: March 27, 2023, 04:08:10 PM »
I'm really trying to get back into forums as opposed to other social media outlets. For the past three months I've been hammering away at an Italian Wars project using Alternative Armies Furioso range. Been enjoying the period and the painting for certain. The period scratches an itch in much the same way fantasy did as a kid. You've got armored knights with lances facing off against black powder weapons, lively colorful clothing, huge flags, a lot to love for certain.

This was completing the Furioso starter set which includes Italian and French forces. Currently working on the second set and bolstering my forces soon with the Alternative Armies spring sale that started today.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: 15mm Altuos Alternative Armies Furioso minitaures
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2023, 06:17:22 PM »
Nice work  8)

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2023, 06:29:55 PM »
Good models

Offline FlyingJ4

• Lurker
  • Swiss Enthusiast
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 12:28:14 PM »
They look great! This is my favourite historical wargame time period as well, and for a similar reason though I had never thought about it as being similar to fantasy. It really clicked when you mentioned that. What is your method for making all the pretty flags? They're sweet.

Offline Friends of General Haig

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog:
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 08:49:57 AM »
A great looking collection.  I am particular impressed with the gendarmes stripy lances!  :)

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 12:29:03 PM »
What is your method for making all the pretty flags? They're sweet.

Some are googling, which betrays my gap of knowledge as I used Albrizzi flags on the Romandiole pikemen and they were a distant memory by the time period, right? A lot of them are from a Facebook group Wargaming at the Outpost GY. Nothing fancy though, I resize them in PowerPoint as a board game designer advised me it really does make it easier. I print test copies for size. But it really is paper and glue and then I edge the flags with markers or paint after trimming the crooked bits.

Thanks for the comments. Feeling good about the project and the boost of mood helps especially considering how rubbish the paying job is.

Offline FlyingJ4

• Lurker
  • Swiss Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 03:50:02 PM »
Feeling good about the project and the boost of mood helps especially considering how rubbish the paying job is.

If you meant painting job, it's not rubbish at all. I got a bunch of the same models during the sale last summer and I finally will have some time to paint them all. If they end up looking like yours I will be very happy.

Some are googling, which betrays my gap of knowledge as I used Albrizzi flags on the Romandiole pikemen and they were a distant memory by the time period, right? A lot of them are from a Facebook group Wargaming at the Outpost GY. Nothing fancy though, I resize them in PowerPoint as a board game designer advised me it really does make it easier.

Good to know, I may check out that group as I haven't been able to find a good diversity of flags to capture the spirit of mercenary armies coming from all over Europe. Without any knowledge of what the flags you included are from, I would say they fit that picture very well. Is there a benefit to resizing in PowerPoint vs MS Paint?

Offline TwoGunBob

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2023, 05:04:33 PM »
PowerPoint doesn’t pixelate as bad as paint. I mean maybe Paint has gotten better with new versions? But it also builds line up grids so you can have everything just so. I used it to upsize old SPI/Avalon Hill counters to fit on Scrabble tiles so it made it easy to make everything uniform and consistent.

The rubbish is the wage job slashing my hips. Painting is that zen rock garden moment of getting away. And the period being the best of fantasy in reality? Oh yes, for sure. Have a friend that is more historical in his gaming and mentioned that the reality of history is wilder and weirder than almost anything we could cook up in fantasy.

Offline FlyingJ4

• Lurker
  • Swiss Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 06:27:34 PM »
Thanks, I will try using both and see if there is a difference in the quality of the images.

The rubbish is the wage job slashing my hips.

I feel that. Glad you can find some peace.

Your friend is right. I love whenever I hear a historical movie or show had to tone something down for it to be more believable. Most people probably don't know that armoured knights fought guys with guns, it's got the same cool factor as the idea of cavemen fighting dinosaurs while actually being real.