Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:05:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Plastic Skellies Compatibility?  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
Plastic Skellies Compatibility?
« on: March 23, 2023, 08:04:38 PM »
I'm fleshing out some of my collection to make up units for Dragon Rampant. I've got 8 skeletons built and painted from this:

Ideally I need 4 more. Does anybody know whether the Wargames Atlantic or the Warlords of Erewhon plastic skeletons are compatible in size with these?

Thanks
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Plastic Skellies Compatibility?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2023, 08:15:26 PM »
Some quick googling found this page with some useful size comparisons.

To my eye it looks like Wargames Atlantic is your best bet, but not an exact match.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2023, 08:42:55 PM »

To my eye it looks like Wargames Atlantic is your best bet, but not an exact match.
Thanks Ogrob. I know plastics have come on since then, I don't mind a little difference.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 08:44:40 PM by Onebigriver »

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2023, 08:45:38 PM »
I hadn't realised they'd shrunk that box :o

I have the Skeleton Warriors Regiment with 20 figures in it, which it looks like I've never made up (it was 1999, can't rush these things ;D)

Assuming they're the same ones, and ideally you're in the UK, I'd be happy to send you a sprue to finish yours out.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2023, 08:56:36 PM »

Link not showing.  I'd be curious to see as I recently bought a sprue of the WGA skellies. 

One thing I notice just from pictures is that WGA skelly heads sit (realistically) just a bit higher on the neck than GW.  If they're a bit taller, you could shorten the neck a little to bring them in line and make them look more similar to the GW.

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2023, 09:06:10 PM »
Link not showing.  I'd be curious to see as I recently bought a sprue of the WGA skellies. 

One thing I notice just from pictures is that WGA skelly heads sit (realistically) just a bit higher on the neck than GW.  If they're a bit taller, you could shorten the neck a little to bring them in line and make them look more similar to the GW.

Cheers Eilif. If you click on "this page" in Ogrob's post you'll link to Goonhammer's page.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2023, 10:58:23 PM »
I think the Oathmark Skeletons would be a better match personally, and if you find the heads on the Oathmark ones are a bit too small for your tastes, GW sell a giant pack of mixed plastic skulls whose many human skulls are a near-perfect match to those old skellies.

Some useful comparison pics here: link.

///Edit///
As a side note, the Warlord skellies (re-branded Wargames Factory ones) are pretty dreadful anatomically-speaking, and have a knack for arriving broken on the sprues. YMMV, but I'd avoid them.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2023, 11:01:06 PM by Major_Gilbear »

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2023, 09:56:55 AM »
As a side note, the Warlord skellies (re-branded Wargames Factory ones) are pretty dreadful anatomically-speaking, and have a knack for arriving broken on the sprues. YMMV, but I'd avoid them.

The Warlord one also have separate feet and hands. I plan to use the box I have to make some skeleton piles for dungeon games. The prospect of trying to glue all the tiny parts together to make a full skeleton makes me want to run and hide :'(

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2023, 02:37:19 PM »
///Edit///
Interesting.  I use them exclusively.  Not as built skeleton warriors but as bits for terrain.  Their proportions are not cartoonie like GW and the open hands and the loose feet are useful.  Since Warlord Games redid the molds to strengthen the models they are stronger than they use to be so less likely to break. 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 11:40:45 PM by snitcythedog »
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Online Plisken

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2023, 10:02:47 PM »
A quick pic of skellies I had lying around. I tend to use a mix of the old Warlord and the newer Oathmark ones. From left to right, old Citadel (the ones you have), Warlord (erehwon), GW (later WHFB), Oathmark, Wargames Atlantic (the proportions on these are difficult to mix with any others), GW (newer)

Warlord and Oathmark with GW heads would blend in best with what you have, I think.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2023, 10:04:23 PM by Plisken »

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2023, 11:38:58 PM »
A quick pic of skellies I had lying around. I tend to use a mix of the old Warlord and the newer Oathmark ones. From left to right, old Citadel (the ones you have), Warlord (erehwon), GW (later WHFB), Oathmark, Wargames Atlantic (the proportions on these are difficult to mix with any others), GW (newer)

Warlord and Oathmark with GW heads would blend in best with what you have, I think.

Thanks Plissken!

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2023, 02:12:29 PM »
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this. I had a look at the Dragon Rampant Graveyard Dwellers list and what minis I had, and decided I needed more skellies to be the (cough) backbone of the warband. I needed 12 archers and 12 with handweapons, so I plumped for a box of the Oathmark skeletons. They look rather nice and have more options for weapons. The WA skellies have only one bow for every 4 skeletons so that wasn't sufficient for my needs.

Offline KGatch113

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2023, 03:00:46 PM »

Wow the Oathmark ones look really small in comparison to the others....