Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:42:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686552
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Thinking about a 2000AD Rogue Trooper game...  (Read 26837 times)

Offline RJ

• Scientist
    • http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/
Re: Thinking about a 2000AD Rogue Trooper game...
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 05:35:06 PM »

Oh that's just great, you got me thinking about starting this up again!

DAMN YOU!!!!!

:D

:) sorry

Im going to try the inner guard heads on cadians, i think they will look the part when painted up apropriately. Plus they will be the cheaper option with not a huge amount of converting. Not sure what to use for the cannisters on their backs?

I really dont want to do much sculpting / greenstuffing - id much rather stick bits together and see what i get!  :)

Thanks for the list of different troops, im starting with the basic infantry and going from there.
Check out my blog here:

http://rjpainting.blogspot.com/

Accepting painting comissions

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 05:35:48 PM »
Bronze age has the nort's too :)

Norts are new, not seen those before. 32mm though and always a little 'leggy' from bronzeage.

::)
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 05:37:10 PM »
oops  ::)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.

Offline RJ

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2009, 10:25:02 PM »
Posted my First painted Foundry 2000AD mini here:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=14102.0

Its not Rogue trooper but painting it has been fueling my desire to get this project up and running!

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2009, 12:04:20 PM »
https://www.connectstores.com/ralpartha/sp_16741.html

Vor Radtroopers might make for decent Norts too looking at them:

???

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2009, 02:19:17 PM »

I have a few of these on my shopping list for whenever I finally get around to my Rogue Trooper project:

Image from Ramshackle Games

The Norts use APCs awfully like these quite a lot in the X-Box/Wii game.  I dont think that they featured in the comic strip (although Drill Probes did, but they were not APCs but weapons).

I think that the above boring machines look great and fit in very nicely with the Rogue Trooper feel.

I also picked up a few of these for use as stammel riders:

Image from Prince August

The original Stammels in the comic were quadrupeds.  In the XBox/Wii game they became bipedal.  Like the Warzone figures above the video game stammels had only two limbs, so its a pretty good match I think.

The Stammel riders had a vague camel rider look to them in the comic, long scarves and the like.  That look followed through a little to the video game stammel riders, but if memory serves the game versions looks a little more like regular nort troops.

The soft caps make the Warzone riders above look vaguely germanic to me, but I am no military uniform buff so I am not sure why.  As I plan to use Warzone plastics for my Nort figures (with some form of backpack change hopefully) I think that the gas mask look works well.

That said, those VOR rad-troopers pictured above look really good to me...

Offline RJ

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2009, 02:36:56 PM »
I really like these mounted guys, very inspiring.

The parts for my Nort conversions should be arriving soon ( although will be hampered by the postal strike...)

Also. nearly finished my Foundry Rogue Trooper mini. He wont be for gaming but its been great practice for the G.I. skin tone.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2009, 02:40:51 PM »
Also. nearly finished my Foundry Rogue Trooper mini. He wont be for gaming but its been great practice for the G.I. skin tone.

If Rogue looks even half as good as your Johnny Alpha I am sure it will be fantastic :)

Offline GregX999

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2009, 04:19:37 PM »
Hey, I'm intrigued by this thread, but I know next to nothing about 2000AD or Rogue Trooper. How can a guy go about learning as much about it with as little outlay of money as possible? (I don't want to have to go out a buy a ton of comics, but I could do a couple graphic novels, or a "world book", or stuff like that.)

Are there multiple "worlds"? Or is Rogue Trooper just one story arc in the world? What is "ABC" - related to Rogue Trooper? (It looks cool!) Again, I know next to nothing about it all. (Why are they blue?)

I did find the main site (www.2000adonline.com), but it seems like you already have to be familiar with the "world" to get much out of it.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2009, 05:10:29 PM »
Hey, I'm intrigued by this thread, but I know next to nothing about 2000AD or Rogue Trooper. How can a guy go about learning as much about it with as little outlay of money as possible? (I don't want to have to go out a buy a ton of comics, but I could do a couple graphic novels, or a "world book", or stuff like that.)

Are there multiple "worlds"? Or is Rogue Trooper just one story arc in the world? What is "ABC" - related to Rogue Trooper? (It looks cool!) Again, I know next to nothing about it all. (Why are they blue?)

I did find the main site (www.2000adonline.com), but it seems like you already have to be familiar with the "world" to get much out of it.

For a general overview, this wikipedia page seems to cover almost all. This page comments on the various crossovers. I must admit that I do not know enough 2000AD to give a verdict on the pagesī accuracy (itīs Wikipedia, after all, which must be the most badly peer-reviewed source ever ;)), but it looks ok to me.

I donīt think that the Rogue Trooper and ABC Warriors settings are really interlinked, since in the books Iīve read so far, there is no common baseline of factions (for example, in the ABC Warriors, itīs pretty much US vs Post-Soviet Commufascists, whereas the Rogue Trooper setting has a "North vs. South" division).

I recently got the first Rogue Trooper Collection "The Future of War" (after getting all the ABC Warriors books) and Iīd say it does an excellent job of introducing the characters and the setting, although many details do not get revealed until later episodes. Really liked it, much recommended.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2009, 05:30:48 PM »
Traditionally British comics have an anthology format, and contain multiple stories often with no direct relation to each other; rather different to the American model where each hero or story has their own comic. It would be as if Spider Man, Captain America and Daredevil all appeared in a comic called "Marvel" and their own separate stories ran separately in its pages (in fact the British-printed Marvel comics I used to read as a kid were exactly like that - They chopped up the stories from several Marvel US comics and put them together in a British-format comic).

So you get less of each story each week, but more variety. 2000AD is like that. Most of the various stories in there have no connection to each other (or at least started out that way). For example, as far as I know, Judge Dredd and Rogue Trooper do not exist in the same timeline or universe, any more than Captain Kirk and Luke Skywalker do. But some of the stories do co-exist in the same timelines and universes, and cross-overs do happen between these stories.

At the time I stopped reading 2000AD (about 20 years ago, blimey!) ABC Warriors and Rogue Trooper had no connection, but comic writers have a habit of creating convoluted storylines that bring characters together just because fans like crossovers; so by now they may well be in the same universe!
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Uncle Mike

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Strange Aeons
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2009, 06:31:08 PM »
pretty sure there was a Rogue Trooper/Judge Dredd crossover back in the mid '80's. terrible if I recall...Also, Dredd and Strontium Dog...which was mwdium at best. Crossovers usually suck.

I would say the best 'stuff' to read to get a handle on things would be;
 Rogue Trooper...pretty sure that there are at least two graphic novels containig the best stories, from the start.

Judge Dredd...I've got the same stories in about 3-5 different comic printings...ah collecting! that said there are 13 graphic novels detailing that universe from the start...great sci-fi. The best ever imho.

Bad Company...an absolute gem of a war/anti-war story. Only one Graphic novel. Excelent art and cracking story.

A.B.C Warriors...pretty standard story but the art is great and the characters iconic...great for a tabletop game.

All this is my opinion and only that...there are thousands of great one-off stories and settings in the 2000AD universe. I find the new comic a bit meh but many of the old progs are fantastic...and usually quite cheep if you can find 'em.

Offline GregX999

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: November 04, 2009, 08:59:00 PM »
Thanks for the info! After reading about Rogue Trooper and ABC Warriors on Wikipedia I'm getting excited to get ahold of some of the stories.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ABC_Warriors
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rogue_Trooper

Those Wikipedia articles have a list of the available graphic novels. Almost all are available on the 2000AD webstore, but I also found some of them cheaper from a place here in the U.S. (about $10 each). I think I'll pick up the first 2 graphic novels from each series.

Greg

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2009, 09:26:01 PM »
Used to love 2000ad as a kid and was a regular alongside my Commando comics.

The Foundry figures are beauties but the price tag and my megalomania when it comes to buying figures would be suicide lol