Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:32:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690750
  • Total Topics: 118346
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Plynkes' Five Leagues Thread  (Read 15317 times)

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
Re: Plynkes' Five Leagues Thread
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2023, 04:20:51 AM »
Cool project, sounds like an interesting game too. I suspect my gaming buddy will like it.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline boneio

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2023, 11:57:11 AM »
Nice write up! Love the temple columns as well.

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2023, 03:14:50 PM »
Excellent bit of storytelling, I look forward to what happens next!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2023, 06:13:58 PM »
In a dream he saw it... A druidess in the clutches of strange ill-formed beastmen of some sort. Our heroes knew what they had to do. Time to put on their best rescuing knickers!

However, still licking our wounds a little from our last encounter, we decided on doing a spot of patrolling first. Sometimes the game puts a time limit on objectives, but not in this case. So we figured we could stall a little, to give Brom time to recover (what the hell, you guys are supposed to be heroes!). Hoping for an uneventful patrol, we were disappointed, running into a pack of nasty prowling Northern Wolves. I only have one painted wolf, so Sickers brought some of his. Neither of us know their provenance (he bought them off eBay), but they look a bit chaosy, so GW perhaps?

We ran into the wolves in this charming area of fields and meadows.

The fast-moving predators advanced at speed, with some circling around to flank us. But our heroes were undeterred.

They advanced boldly, but once more overconfidence was their undoing. Iago quickly found himself pounced upon at once, and felt himself being ripped apart by tooth and claw. Almost before we had begun Iago was out of the fight! Not again! Sickers and myself began to panic, fearing another slaughter like the time we fought the bandits.

But we needn't have worried. Lenore withdrew slowly, allowing our archers to pick off many of the wolves, and then suddenly and furiously counter-attacked, making short work of the white alpha-wolf. Before long the beasts were all slain and we were victorious!

Yet Fate wasn't quite done with us yet. When I rolled on Iago's Injury Table after the fight, he came up dead. Dead! Dead! Woe! Woe! This can't be right, surely? Luckily the rules do provide a few second chances. Of all our heroes, Iago was the only one with any Luck Points, he had two in fact. And what are luck points for? Well, situations like this, it turns out. So with a point spent, it transpired that Our Lady of the Veils had intervened and sent him back to us, he still had work to do in her name, after all.  A miracle! True Religion be praised! (So Iago is down to one Luck now, so we'd better be careful - there is a once-per-campaign 'Lucky Break' that can also be used to save a character, but we want to save that for somebody who doesn't have any luck if we can).

The game chose this moment to randomly throw us a bone. A hero sympathetic to our cause joined us for the remainder of the quest. Sir Godfrey of Ham, a skilled swordsman and renowned duellist (according to him at least). Armed with a fencing sword and partial armour, I decided we'd use my old Blackadder figure for him. Seemed suitable, somehow. So he'll be joining us for our continuing adventures for a little while.

Bolstered by this news, it was time to continue the quest, and actually bloody-well rescue the Druidess. At least we thought it was. Things turned out differently...

« Last Edit: April 09, 2023, 07:46:46 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2023, 06:27:31 PM »
A fun write up.  I seem to recall that the rules don't guarantee victory. 

Luck to your band. 

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2023, 08:08:58 PM »
Nice. I think those are GW plastic wolves with some sort of upgrade parts to make Chaos Hounds.

Offline Ramirez Noname

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2023, 08:50:16 AM »
Really enjoying this thread.

RMZ

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2023, 03:04:56 PM »
Your games are certainly giving me an inclination to check this game out.  Great looking boards!

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #38 on: April 14, 2023, 08:52:29 AM »
Following this with great interest. Our little group, the Gentlemen of Much-Piddling, are planning to play this as a campaign.

Does it require much in the way of figures for the enemy?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2023, 08:39:06 AM »
For each encounter between 5 and 12 enemies, something like that (there are exceptions, though: just one big figure if you are hunting a monster and sometimes enemies get a trickle of reinforcements).

But for the campaign as a whole there are a wide variety of enemy types, so you're going to need quite a lot, unless you are happy to use proxies that don't quite match. But never much more than about twelve at once, and often less.

I'm painting them as we go. Got to paint five cultists for our next game.  :)

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2023, 08:53:46 AM »
For each encounter between 5 and 12 enemies, something like that (there are exceptions, though: just one big figure if you are hunting a monster and sometimes enemies get a trickle of reinforcements).

But for the campaign as a whole there are a wide variety of enemy types, so you're going to need quite a lot, unless you are happy to use proxies that don't quite match. But never much more than about twelve at once, and often less.

I'm painting them as we go. Got to paint five cultists for our next game.  :)

Many thanks for the info. That sounds fine. I'm expecting my copy of the rules to arrive in the next couple of days. It should then become clearer what I need. Looking forward to getting stuck into the campaign.

Cheers   :)

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: April 18, 2023, 03:50:33 AM »
I hope to start a campaign in the summer, or perhaps in the fall, post-retirement.  Your thread is certainly reinforcing my determination to do so.

The new, professionally-printed copy of the rules (Modiphius Entertainment) is very elegant.

I was really worried about Iago, for a minute there!

-Michael

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2023, 12:40:35 PM »
Another great installment.

The group of heroes is really plagued by bad luck, isn't it? It says a lot about their pluck that they keep going after each beatdown.

can't wait for the next one :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2023, 05:33:53 PM »
I hope to start a campaign in the summer, or perhaps in the fall, post-retirement.  Your thread is certainly reinforcing my determination to do so.

The new, professionally-printed copy of the rules (Modiphius Entertainment) is very elegant.

I was really worried about Iago, for a minute there!

-Michael

Hi, Michael, nice to hear from you again. This talk of retirement is making me feel old. I'm sure I considered myself a young man still when I first met you on TMP, all those years ago.  :)   Anyway, hope it all goes well, and you have an enjoyable campaign when the time comes.

Right then, now I need to pull my finger out and get some more painting done for the next one.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2023, 10:40:44 PM »
Another great installment.

The group of heroes is really plagued by bad luck, isn't it? It says a lot about their pluck that they keep going after each beatdown.

can't wait for the next one :)

Aside from monsters, figures in the game don't have hit points (you face overcome armour and then overcome toughness rolls which leave you either unharmed, wounded or out of action), so combined with the post-battle injury rolls you are always just a handful of unlucky rolls away from death, however much you've levelled up your stats. I guess that's why they give you a bunch of 'get out of jail' cards to save your favourite characters with. I forgot to say that Iago had been carrying around a magic amulet that can save you from death... but it didn't work! Damn those cheap plastic amulets they sell at the holy sites these days! They're bloody useless.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2023, 10:43:01 PM by Plynkes »