Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:34:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Painting services  (Read 1192 times)

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
Painting services
« on: April 04, 2023, 03:19:21 PM »
Looking for a bit of advice from folks in the know!!  Hopefully later this year I will be in the position to get some figure painted by a painting service. I have way too many figures to work through and need a hand.  The ones I want painting are Crann Tara and same style, Saxons, Austrian and Prussians. my units are 16 figures, 4 command and 12 musketeers and I should have a few to get done probably in batches of three units at a time.  Looking for wargame standard not connoisseur, and U.K. based. I have never gone down this route before so looking for some advice and services. Many thanks in advance. :)

Offline Rick F

• Mad Scientist
Re: Painting services
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 03:44:04 PM »
There's a few things to consider. From a professional painters point of view the most important thing for me to consider is the timescale, when the customer needs them by and how long they're going to take. It has to be realistic for both Obviously price is a big sticking point, someone who paints for pocket money will charge a lot less than someone who does it for a living, this can often lead to the classic "how much" lol
Are you buying the figures and sending them to the painter, or are they buying them? How much of a deposit? Are you providing reference material?
Loads more, but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2023, 03:48:24 PM »
Thanks for the reply Rick, I have the figures and would send them and can supply the reference material so that part would be easy. Timescale is not too much of a problem as I am will be in no real hurry so wouldn't have any unrealistic limits. :)

Offline Rick F

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2023, 10:09:28 PM »
You should be spoilt for choice when you ask, make sure you get lots of photos of their work. One thing to consider is that one man's table top standard is another's rubbish/showcase.

Offline Moriarty

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 06:10:37 AM »
Wot ‘e said. I’ve seen a wide variety of ‘wargames standard’ paint jobs.

If you get stuck, come back to me, and I’ll send you a sample figure of what I can do for what cost. How many in total are you wanting doing?

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2023, 06:29:06 AM »
Many thanks for the advice Rick, much appreciated. :)

Moriarty:- I have about 3 Saxon 16 man units, probably 4-5 Prussian and the same Austrian but it will be an ongoing project so totals are pretty fluid at the moment. Thanks for the offer as well I will get back to you when the time comes, many thanks for the advice. :)

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 06:57:12 AM »
Jambo

I have my Crann Tara figures painted by Stuart Foley of the Jolly Frog Painting Service who does a very good wargames standard which matches my own style and is therefore easy to add to.

Stuart has painted Neapolitans, British and Spanish figures for me from Crann Tara as well as other ranges and other periods too.  If you take a look at the Sugar Islands ion my Blog, you see some examples. Googling Stuart Foley Jolly Frog will also give you his website and more examples.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2023, 11:26:29 AM »
Many thanks Emir, have looked at your blog many times, always a treat, will have to go back and look some more!  Will check out Stuart as well as going by your figures he does a fine job.  Thanks again for the advice. :)

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 12:27:30 PM »
Thanks!

I've used him for years and will continue to do so.

Offline AlonzoHoward

• Lurker
    • getmodnow
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2023, 02:52:52 AM »
Looking for a bit of advice from folks in the know!!  Hopefully later this year I will be in the position to get some figure painted by a painting service. I have way too many figures to work through and need a hand.  The ones I want painting are Crann Tara and same style, Saxons, Austrian and Prussians. my units are 16 figures, 4 command and 12 musketeers and I should have a few to get done probably in batches of three units at a time.  Looking for wargame standard not connoisseur, and U.K. based. I have never gone down this route before so looking for some advice and services. Many thanks in advance. :)
Here are a few tips to help you in your search:

Look for a service that specializes in the type of figures you have. In your case, you are looking for Crann Tara, Saxons, Austrians, and Prussians. Some services may specialize in a certain type of figure, so it's worth doing some research to find one that has experience with your particular figures.

Check out reviews and testimonials. Look for feedback from other customers to see how satisfied they were with the service they received. You can often find reviews on the service's website or on independent review sites.

Get in touch with the service to discuss your needs. Many figure painting services will be happy to discuss your project with you to make sure they can meet your requirements. They may be able to give you a quote for the work, or provide guidance on the best way to proceed.

Ask for examples of previous work. Most figure painting services will have examples of their work on their website or social media pages. Take a look at these to get an idea of the quality of their work and whether it meets your needs.

Consider the cost. Figure painting services can vary greatly in price, so it's important to find one that fits within your budget. Keep in mind that the cost may depend on factors such as the level of detail required, the number of figures to be painted, and the turnaround time.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2023, 04:54:22 AM »
Many thanks for your reply, it's given me a lot to think about and plan! :)