Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:36:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690898
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ahsoka Season 1 (spoilers likely)  (Read 15984 times)

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
Re: Ahsoka Season 1 (spoilers likely)
« Reply #150 on: October 02, 2023, 08:03:46 PM »
I've finally gotten round to seeing the first 7 episodes and its great.

I think everyone but Hera are great, I cant put my finger on it but it doesnt feel like the Hera from Rebels.

I wish Disney would just come clean and retcon the efficiency of order 66 and the purge as being imperial propaganda, at this point there's there are a lot of surviving Jedi:
Reva and 2 guys from the Obi Wan series plus Obi Wan himself, Ahsoka, Kanan, 2 jedis from the Fallen Order games, Baylan Skoll, the Grand Inquisitor was a former Jedi and an there might have been more former jedi turned inquisitor, and Yoda.

Thats at least 11 jedi in the canon (and that just the ones I can remember) who survived order 66. I'm not complaining, just saying that maybe the clones and inquisitors werent as efficient as the Emperor thought.

It does feel like too many people read Harry Potter.  Every author has to have the super secret 'boy who lived'.  Glad folks are enjoying this, but it is going a bit over the shark so to speak (like bad teen fiction, where every series has a main character with the super secret cool past that is on the outside...).  Not every character needs to have mysteriously survived Voldemort.
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #151 on: October 03, 2023, 04:49:15 PM »
IIRC somewhere it was said there were around 10,000 jedi at the start of the clone wars.

That means so far we've seen 0.11% survivors. Not exactly overflowing, really.  Even 100 would only be 1%.

Ultimately writers want to write about the space wizard samurai. 

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #152 on: October 04, 2023, 12:16:22 PM »
Finished this morning.

Overall it was good but didn't quite hit all the buttons for me. That's on me though, not on the production, effects, story etc. I've never been a massive fan of the force and just prefer all out pew pew pew  lol My favourite episode was the one that was partly on Corellia.

It'll be interesting to see how they carry on with Baylan  :?
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #153 on: October 04, 2023, 01:53:58 PM »
I thought Baylon/Ray Stevenson was great (I even liked his sword style) and Lady Inosanto is (was) awesome.

Sh#t Hairdo was an awful character that should have been issued with a light baseball bat (the way she was swinging her weapon it would have been very easy to stop). I also felt Lady Wren was tamed down too much but presumably it was so the force development plot line was more useful. Inosanto is a Legend.

I liked Ezra, I think he was a great fit and I’m looking forward to more of him. I loved the zombie troopers (especially the one that can’t do stairs) but maybe not for the right reasons and I’m still not sure how well it (magic) fits into SW universe in my mind. The look was good (battered and fetish wrapped) and I liked Enochs outfit. Still not sure about thrawn.

All in all not my favourite spin off  (for much the same reason as Oshiro) but I watched it happily (it is beautiful) and simply hope the next series builds on it. I wonder how much they’ve filmed and how they’ll tackle Baylon’s story line though…..

Andrew
BeneathALeadMountain

« Last Edit: October 08, 2023, 07:54:58 PM by BeneathALeadMountain »
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #154 on: October 04, 2023, 03:08:12 PM »
I loved it... lol

The Nighttroopers were great, enjoyed the fight scenes...a tidy wrap-up at the end so everyone is where they need to be ...personally would have liked a couple more minutes of Baylan & Shin at the end...

Wonder how they will pursue the Baylan story line in Season 2 as Disney doesn't like to recast....interesting that the Ashla Owl has turned up again...Ahsoka still has some of the Daughter's life force given what happened to her in the Clone Wars series... it is beginning to look like Baylan is being called by one of the Celestials...perhaps Aberloth (which would certainly explain why the Nightsisters were so keen to leave their home planet).

Shin feels like a lost opportunity...i'd have rather she turned up at the turtle camp rather than the nomads at the end, but she seems on an arc of destruction...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 09:13:49 PM by AKULA »

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #155 on: October 04, 2023, 08:14:07 PM »

Great fun!  It will be a long wait now for the next season… :P

"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #156 on: October 04, 2023, 08:38:02 PM »
Great fun!  It will be a long wait now for the next season… :P

Indeed.

So many questions…

Really curious as to whether Thrawn and the Nightsisters now part company… is their agreement that he just drops them off (with the caskets) on Dathomir, or does he persuade them to stick with him? Not sure what else Thrawn can offer the Nightsisters?

Assuming they part company, then presumably Thrawn loses the ability to raise his night troopers once they fall…leaving him with an understrength Legion and a damaged ISD to go and rally the Imperial Remnants?

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #157 on: October 04, 2023, 09:27:16 PM »
I think they dropped the ball in the last episode...

If they were in a rush to stop Thrawn, why the fuck were they crawling anlong at a snail's pace with the Snail people??? (Don't tell me because Ezra was building a sabre, there was a shot in an earlier episod of a rack full of sabres.)

And Ahsoka can sense Wren, but has no idea they were about to be attacked by tie fighters.

The ships sensors were sleeping? WTF

Bad writing.

Still, enjoyed it overall, even though the last episode was a mess.

Offline jhonpog

• Scientist
« Reply #158 on: October 05, 2023, 01:17:01 AM »
yeah some cool moments in this episode. Quite liked the zombie stormtroopers they were fun.

I liked the will they catch up with the star destroyer or wont they scene. I genuinely didn't know which way that was going to go and that makes for good telly.

Overall a not great result for the new republic given what Thrawn is going to do (assuming they stick to the books more or less) in the galaxy.  I mean tactically that was a real own goal ha ha. That bloke is going to do alot of damage.....

My feeling is that this would be a cool place to leave the series. I know they wont but I'd be quite happy if they left it there.  I felt the same way about the first season of the mandalorian. That was a fun series had an enjoyable episodic approach with an awesome ending. Just let grogu go off with luke and draw the curtain; we don't need to know what happens next.  Same with this one;  let Ahsoka and Sabine explore that galaxy; start a new jedi order or something.....

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #159 on: October 05, 2023, 07:21:12 AM »
I appreciated that the characters took their time for acting. There was space for dialogue, quiet scenes, much eye candy. All that added to the SW universe for me. Hera was the weakest figure, I find. Thrawns plus-size appearance was a bit disappointing, but I liked that his performance was still what I expected to be. Ezra was great, Sabine was acceptable, Ahsoka was believable, Chopper was Chopper and I really liked David Tennant, who was clearly recognizable. Baylen was one of my favourites, he appeared to me like a darker version of Qui-Gon or a less bad Dooku - a sort of Jedi who makes up his mind, therefore a well developed counterpart to Ahsoka. His sidekick though...well, I wonder what she is going to be. I regret that she lacked the seriousness of Asajj Ventress, she wasn't menacing enough.

I really like the show!  :D

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #160 on: October 05, 2023, 07:45:01 AM »
Enjoyed it - minor niggles apart.

Am I alone in thinking it would have made a much better Ep VII than The Force Awakens?

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #161 on: October 05, 2023, 10:59:49 AM »
Am I alone in thinking it would have made a much better Ep VII than The Force Awakens?

100%

To be fair many many things would have made a better Ep VII than The Force Awakens and don't get me started on The Last Jedi/or the Rise of Skywalker  lol

Filoni will certainly get his own film (the only debate I think it whether we get a second season of Ahoska beforehand) ....I think it could even become a trilogy of his own.

"Heir to the Empire" could be the first film title...(a nod to the Zahn novel of the same name), but in a sense (at least IMHO) Filioni is showing that he is the heir to the George Lucas empire... because he understands the Star Wars Lore and is thinking years ahead of long-term storylines, rather than the disjointed "somehow Palpatine returned" approach of the Sequel Trilogy.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #162 on: October 05, 2023, 11:15:11 AM »
...because he understands the Star Wars Lore...

Funny, that.

I saw a snippet of an interview the other day with a young actor voicing or playing Darth Maul in some series. In it, he was detailing a scene where Anakin meets his dead mother's ghost under Filoni's direction. Actor's out of scene, watching, as he's not in it himself.

Schmie tells Anakin that she would have loved to meet Padme, as she obviously meant a lot to Anakin; it was an emotional scene. After the cut though, the actor said to Filoni that it looked great, but they'd have to do it again.

Filoni askes him why; the take was great after all.

Which is when the actor tells him that Schmie and Padme have met. In fact, they had a dinner together in The Phantom Menace with Anakin and Qui Gon Jinn!

The room fell quiet.

Later on, someone told him that he's the only one to have ever out-nerded Dave Filoni... lol
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #163 on: October 05, 2023, 11:34:00 AM »
Funny, that.

I saw a snippet of an interview the other day with a young actor voicing or playing Darth Maul in some series. In it, he was detailing a scene where Anakin meets his dead mother's ghost under Filoni's direction. Actor's out of scene, watching, as he's not in it himself.

Schmie tells Anakin that she would have loved to meet Padme, as she obviously meant a lot to Anakin; it was an emotional scene. After the cut though, the actor said to Filoni that it looked great, but they'd have to do it again.

Filoni askes him why; the take was great after all.

Which is when the actor tells him that Schmie and Padme have met. In fact, they had a dinner together in The Phantom Menace with Anakin and Qui Gon Jinn!

The room fell quiet.

Later on, someone told him that he's the only one to have ever out-nerded Dave Filoni... lol

lol

Great story - sounds like Sam Witwer - he did some voice work in the Ahsoka series as well

8)

Offline Munindk

• Mad Scientist
  • Denmark
« Reply #164 on: October 05, 2023, 12:16:24 PM »
A great series but the finale seemed to focus more on setting up season 2, than telling its own story.

That said, it did a great job of setting up season 2 though, lots of thoughts and questions.

How many episodes will there be of Ahsoka and Sabine vs Shin Hati, before at leas 2/3 of them catch a ride with the purgils?/How many episodes of Hera and Ezra fighting Thrawn in the main galaxy?

How will they handle Baylans plot? Will it just fade away, will they recast the actor, or will they push Shin into the role story wise?

Will they tie in Din Jarin, or maybe the Mandalorians on Mandalore at some point? Is Luke gonna join them?

How much screen time will the Night Sisters get? Is Thrawn just dropping them of on Dathomir (maybe even off screen?), or will they play a part in the coming season(s)?