Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:55:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help needed - Other minis compatible with Star Wars Legion  (Read 1071 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Help needed - Other minis compatible with Star Wars Legion
« on: April 10, 2023, 08:35:55 AM »
Toying with a new project based upon Star Wars Legion minis… now I know that these boys are big 32-35mm but what else is out there that is compatible?

Am already well aware of the various 3D printed options, am interested in what else in terms of physical products are available, ie hard plastic or metal minis.

Bonus points for multi-part plastics as am looking to kitbash some minis…don’t need lots of heavily armoured space marine types… rather unarmoured/lightly armoured figures.

Also interested in alien minis

any thoughts?

:)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 09:54:23 AM by AKULA »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Help needed - Other minis compatible with Star Wars Legion
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2023, 04:20:58 PM »
One obvious possibility for a few rebel scum and criminals is the Stargrave crew and mercenaries sprues. They will be short and stumpy next to the Legion figures, but that fits with the Star Wars canon to some extent since some of the alien species differ from the average Imperial citizen (effects of heavy gravity environments and such like). Each of the sprues provides 5-10 alien heads, so it shouldn’t be a problem making sure they’re varied. Wouldn’t want to overdo using the Stargrave figs, but mixing in a few should work. Any robots from 28mm lines may also work, sine they don’t have to follow human sizes/ proportions.

Aside from that, nothing springs to mind. Legion is in one of those freak-scales designed to be incompatible with everything else on the market. It’s a big reason that I passed on the game, despite being a lifelong fan of SW (if they went with 28mm I would have been in for a small fortune’s worth of figs, even if I abandoned the game… but they didn’t.)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2023, 05:13:18 PM »
Have a look at the Reaper Bones Chronoscope line:

https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/chronoscopebones

Some Reaper figures are very big, though I'd aim to see any in the 'flesh' before buying for this project. But you'd be safe with the Blackstar Corsairs (very tall and chunky) and the Bathalians (properly alien aliens and big too).

There are other Reaper sci-fi figures too - I think this search should capture most of them. Some of them would make very good Star Wars-y aliens (like that cyber-troll and the smuggler, both of which are quite big, I think):

https://www.reapermini.com/search/sci%20fi

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2023, 07:26:16 PM »
The newer Infinty figures tend to the large side as well :(

However, their proportions may look odd next to SW Legion figures.

Reaper, as Hobgoblin mentioned, are worth a look. Their latest Bones Black and Bones USA figures are huge, so could work. The older metals and bones could struggle, though.

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2023, 08:07:07 PM »
With the ongoing scalecreep, it would not surprise me if the most recent 40K humans would be compatible by now. This includes Necromunda too, for lots of variation.

You might be able to add some plasticard spacers to the Stargrave minis for some extra length.

And it's why I initially decided to go with WotC minis for my SW project...

Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 12:07:13 AM »
Assuming they've not price-increased (as GW is wont to do every six months), the Necromunda gangs offer a ton of human "riff raff" for sure.  I have a bunch of Legion minis but I haven't opened them so I can't comment on scale sadly.

The basic Orlock box or the Van Saar (which are nightmarish to assemble) are solid sci fi fodder.  Particularly if you slapped some bits around.

If you can look past multi-part plastics, Etsy is awash with nice resin 3D printed Star Wars Legion stuff, which I'd assume is scaled appropriately.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2023, 01:20:50 PM »
Thanks all…a couple of ideas there that I hadn’t considered  :D

Re:Stargrave … I might buy a sprue or two to play about with …as PM mentioned I can always use as aliens from a high-G world.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 01:22:38 PM by AKULA »

Offline Sgt_T

• Scientist
    • Toomuchterrain
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2023, 06:57:23 PM »
I've based my Star Wars Legion miniatures on thin (Warlord) bases and use them with all kinds of other miniatures on thick bases. This works for me. I also use alien miniatures from different ranges, including the already mentioned Reaper minis (who's to say that aliens are bigger or smaller in reality ;))

Look here for comparisons and miniatures used: https://toomuchterrain.blogspot.com/search/label/Star%20Wars

Other ranges you may want to look at are the Strontium Dog and Dr Who ranges from Warlord.
(https://www.warlordgames.com/strontium-dog-starter-set-whats-box/)

I don't have any comparison pictures yet, and I know they may be hard to come by since Warlord doesn't sell them anymore, but they are quite large.

T.

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2023, 02:52:27 PM »
There's so many 3d printed options out there now tbh star wars fans are utterly spoiled for choice. 

Stargrave/Wargames Atlantic etc will look like proper tiddlers next to Legion.  I'll try and take a couple of comp pics with some Necromunda later. 

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2023, 03:51:18 PM »
There's so many 3d printed options out there now tbh star wars fans are utterly spoiled for choice. 

I agree - was part of the reason that I opted for SW Legion over other options, even despite the seeming shortage of other “traditional” ranges that are compatible.

What has held me back in the past from 3D prints has been the poor quality of the end product, but I’ve ordered a few samples and the first one to arrive looks ideal  :D

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2023, 04:29:00 PM »
Reaper is probably your best bet.  The problem though is that so many different sculptors do the minis that it’s hard to know which ones will fit.  I have a figure that I really like, which they call “Space Hero”, who measures 35mm from sole of foot to top of head, but he is not necessarily the norm.