Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:57:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Working on my town. YEHAW!!!  (Read 7396 times)

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Working on my town. YEHAW!!!
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2023, 10:48:41 AM »

This building is resin and from Empress Miniatures. It has had some brick card sheet used to change its look and give it a more North American look. Also make a really good solid defensive position for that kind of scenario.

Figures from the Empress Miniatures western gunfight range.

https://www.empressminiatures.com/builders-yard-89-c.asp

https://www.empressminiatures.com/the-wild-bunch-130-c.asp

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2023, 02:22:28 PM »
Sniff... sniff... What's that smell? Damned sheep herder!

Excellent looking figures! I can see getting a lot of scenario milage from them!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2023, 08:38:43 PM »
Nice modeling.  But a brick/stone smithy in the Old West?  Hmmm.   I guess, why not?   Hollywood might disapprove though.

Offline leadfool

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2023, 06:53:17 AM »
Adobe is a type of brick.  Lots of Adobe buildings west of the Mississippi, 
FOUNDER OF THE D'ISREALI ARMY

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.  Liberty is a well armed Lamb, contesting the vote.
B Franklin.    ----

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2023, 08:36:00 AM »
Nice modeling.  But a brick/stone smithy in the Old West?  Hmmm.   I guess, why not?   Hollywood might disapprove though.

Yeah you get them in original pictures and Hollywood. For example in Fort Worth has brick buildings.   

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2023, 01:45:41 PM »
I guess it kind of depends on timing of the building, a great deal - vast majority - of first generation buildings out west were made of wood, a lot cheaper and a lot faster to construct.  Generally, after a town burned down once or more, then they started building with brick/stone/adobe.  Of course, in the desert southwest, adobe was often a first choice and on the treeless prairies sod was often a first choice, at least for houses.  Trees nearby, wooden construction, no trees, other materials or great expense for wood.  And once the railroad was nearby, that would affect material availability and cost.

This does get me thinking to explore early western construction more.  Here in Sacramento, our Old Town area does have a lot of brick work but, naturally, brick construction required a brick yard creating the bricks.  Sutter's Fort (mostly a recreation, very little of the original left - use to volunteer there), the first really substantial building in the area was made of adobe.  I think flooding made a greater impact here than fire, though fire certainly had its impact.

A fun point is that both San Francisco (less so the earlier Yerba Buena) and Sacramento really got their start with sail cloth tents.  So many gold rushers (49ers) arrived and stripped the sail cloth off their ships that there was a forest of abandoned ships that couldn't go anywhere because they no longer had any sails.  Here is bit of official city history:

"At the time of the gold rush, Sacramento primarily consisted of hastily built wooden structures, often covered with canvas. A series of devastating fires prompted a group of citizens to establish the first volunteer fire department in the western United States. On February 5, 1850, the beginnings of the Sacramento Fire Department began to take shape with the formation of Mutual Hook and Ladder No. 1.

The City’s waterfront location made it extremely vulnerable to flooding. After two seasons of severe flooding, an ambitious project to raise the entire downtown was proposed. A third devastating flood made this proposal a reality, and thousands of cubic yards of dirt were brought in by wagon to raise the entire city one story. The original street level can still be seen throughout Old Sacramento under boardwalks and in some basements." 

And San Francisco, 1851 fire:

"During the height of the California Gold Rush, between December 1849 and June 1851, San Francisco endured a sequence of seven severe fires, of which this was the sixth and by far the most damaging.[1][2] In terms of property value, it did three times as much damage as the next most destructive of the seven fires."

Location and timing.  So, I guess a substantial town is under way here.   :)

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2023, 02:13:48 PM »
Many thanks for that. Some interesting detail in your words. ;)

Its going to be a developing town with a railroad set from the mid 1870's until about 1910. The aim being to mix and match buildings depending on the scenario. Therefore one brick substantial building for the late 1880's add to that period. I had planned on a couple of tented roofed houses to show early development as well as some tents, which are already done.

Adobe based buildings are all complete and so I can go south to Mexico or simply add it to the US based stuff to make a border town. Always had an interest in the US invasion of Mexico under Pershing so at some point I will wander into that I suspect. lol

The one important thing is that it is not designed as a specific town as that's a bit boring but an imaginary town so that it can be shuffled around to keep it interesting.   

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #37 on: April 19, 2023, 03:42:41 PM »
The one important thing is that it is not designed as a specific town as that's a bit boring but an imaginary town so that it can be shuffled around to keep it interesting.   

That's the tack I take with all my terrain.  It's proven to be a very versatile approach for me...

The smithy looks great, by the way.  I am wondering, though - what is that smith going to do with that lamb?  He hasn't named it, has he?  If he has, his kids will never let him butcher it... :D
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2023, 04:21:08 PM »
BBQ time  :o

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2023, 07:46:14 PM »
I'd say watch out for the dude with the mustache!   :D

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2023, 07:55:21 AM »
Stumpy from the Empress Miniatures western gunfight range scales the heights despite the dodgy leg.

https://www.empressminiatures.com/the-wild-bunch-130-c.asp

Wind pump from 4Ground. It comes pre painted but I am not a fan of that so painted over the top. The top section has a magnet so can be turned round which is a good idea when wanting to position figures.

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2023, 12:38:43 PM »
Nice addition and can explain where the town/ranch gets its water from.  Not sure how the model comes but that standpipe in the center makes it look authentic. 

Are you going to add a ground level - or even a railroad style - water tank to store the pumped water?  Ground level could be open to the elements and, technically, so could an elevated tank.

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2023, 02:54:00 PM »
Great stuff!
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2023, 07:02:22 AM »

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2023, 07:03:20 AM »
Nice addition and can explain where the town/ranch gets its water from.  Not sure how the model comes but that standpipe in the center makes it look authentic. 

Are you going to add a ground level - or even a railroad style - water tank to store the pumped water?  Ground level could be open to the elements and, technically, so could an elevated tank.

Water tank is on the to do list. ;)