Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:55:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Operation Window Maker - Action Plan - 23rd April  (Read 2471 times)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
Operation Window Maker - Action Plan - 23rd April
« on: April 12, 2023, 06:59:43 PM »
Operation Code Name – Window Maker

Objective - The Assassination of Fecino Zaira and Extraction of Agent White.

Sorry to call you out at this late hour but we have a problem, I just nodded. 02:35 on a Wednesday morning usually means there’s a problem and it usually comes across my desk if it’s a Latin American problem.

“You briefed Mrs White” Z continued, I nodded again, thinking of the nice polite old lady I’d briefed about 3 weeks ago. Edna May White, she was posing as a cook and housekeeper, we’d managed to infiltrate her into Fecino Zaira’s compound.
It’s a long story but then again they usually are.
Zaira was one of the more unusual of the Cartel Bosses. He lived as a semi-recluse behind walls and wire in the jungle, 20 miles from the nearest road. The only way into the Compound was a 2 to 3 day hard trek through the jungle or by helicopter. There wasn’t a landing pad as such, the copter landed on the roof of one of the buildings in the Compound, stayed for a few minutes and then left.

I’d only noticed the Compound by accident. It had been there for years but the satellite images had been scanned by computers, the thermal imaging specification was looking for concentrated activity, not 2 people and a child and so it had discounted the place, believing it was abandoned at best or had a couple of squatters at worse.
PIC01

This is the latest satellite image of the compound.

Zaira went missing eighteen months ago, there had been some blood letting with the other Cartels and we thought he’d been eliminated. The only strange thing was that Johnny Mo his prime bodyguard had disappeared at the same time, but what really set off alarm bells was that Monsignor Blanc had disappeared also. Blanc was Zaira’s Chef and it was unusual for a Chef to be eliminated, especially one as talented as Blanc. He would have been worth 10kg of H to any of the leading families because they all liked fine food.

“Are you paying attention” Z barked. “Of course sir” I responded immediately but wondered what he’d been saying the past few minutes.

“I arranged to drop a small drone from one of the American spy planes that operate over Columbia and have just received the pictures”. He held in his hand six 8 x 10 pictures of the compound, “that’s all we’re going to get, the drone pilot flew the damn thing into a tree and it crashed”. He proceeded to pass them over 1 at a time, he does like a little drama.
PIC02

“That is a low altitude picture”, he said, I noted the sarcasm in his voice but saw the helicopter again. That’s what had tipped me off in the first place, everything else in the compound looked old and disused but on one of the original satellite images a red helicopter was shown in the same place as it stood now.
PIC03

“The drone got some good clean shots before it crashed” he continued. I let out a low whistle, partly because I recognised Erika Klaus the pilot but also in admiration at the willowy frames of the two young women with her.

I knew that Zaira had a propensity for tall slim women. This was as good as intel would get, until I examined the next picture.
PIC04

Fecino Zaira the king pin himself, along with bodyguard Johnny Mo and to my great relief, Agent White. The very Edna May White I’d managed to insert into Zaira’s household once I’d found out he needed a new Chef.

Monsignor Blanc had contracted some tropical disease and had surfaced in a private hospital in Bogotá, that piece of information had enabled me to push forward with my plan. I thought it was a cute idea to name my Agent White and so did Marcello, third in line to Zaira himself.
Marcello wanted to be head of the Norte del Valle Cartel himself and with Zaira gone he was one step closer to that goal. I’d been cultivating him for quiet a long time and it was starting to pay off.

“There’s a couple of snags” Z continued as he passed the next photo over.
PIC05

I could see what he meant. “Do we have any info on this machine” I asked hopefully. “Not a bean” was his reply. “There are rumours from China South West Station that the Chinese are well advanced in their mechanical and robotic experimental weapons program’s. This might be another attempt at increasing their influence in South America through the drugs trade. That’s not all though”.
PIC06

Looking closely I was sure I recognised the small size of Zaira but what was behind him, and why hadn’t they shown up on the thermal imaging scans. They looked like a pair of armed guards in some sort of tactical armour. Z shrugged, “We’ll have nothing from the satellite for 3 days and can’t confirm the thermal record”.
PIC07

“This last one was taken shortly before the drone crashed. It looks as if it caught the attention of whoever that is but we don’t know for sure”.

“I’ve already scrambled Sniper team ‘Breakfast’ and they’re taking off in a couple of minutes, they’ll be under your direct command.”
PIC08

Finally he was giving me some good news; Breakfast was the best team we had. On a very good day Pop Pop could hit a man sized target at around 2,200m, at 1,500m she was 98%.

Then I thought of the jungle, she’d be lucky to get a 100m line of sight and it would probably be much less. Getting into that position would require all the training and skill of the three woman team, getting out again from that close in would be even more difficult if not impossible. That’s where the other 2 members of the team would earn their corn.
PIC09

“Do I still have Assault team Rainbow” I asked. “Of course” was his laconic reply, “they’re already in country and ready to go”. “There’s one final thing though”. My heart sank. “We received a radio message from our black-site listening station in the Azores. They picked up the following coded message which we are fairly sure is from the compound. Our super-computer has so far, failed to crack the cipher”.

The red swallow flies upside down over Moscow. As a consequence, Execute operation widow-maker. The truss of my second cousin is in the hand-bag of my grandmother’s chamber-maid.

“I believe this might be an old WWll code, they used to put the message in the 2nd sentence, the rest is just gobblegook, the reference to "Execute operation Widow Maker" may well be to confirm we should hit Zaira now (one of his many nicknames is Widow Maker”). “I’ve sent Miss Twopence Moneypenny down to the basement to check in the old code books, if Agent White was under pressure this might have been the best she could do.”

At that moment E=mc2 came into the room. “I think we might be on the wrong track with the code. According to my information (still kept on a Rolodex and none the worse for that), Zaira’s nickname is Window Maker because of his uncanny ability to see through any plan to capture him. Did we get the code in morse or oral transmission” he asked. “Morse” responded Z “but what difference does one dash and dot make”? E=mc2 looked at him in disbelief. “There’s a world of difference, one is a kill instruction from our Agent and the other is a trap, he’s seen through our plan and is laughing at us”.

Z looked slightly put out by this latest information and issued his instructions sourly. “We have photographic evidence that he’s there, V you’re head of South American operations, I want your assessment and a plan of attack on my desk before Breakfast arrive in Columbia as 09:00 hours tomorrow”.

“Yes Sir”

Ok that’s my opening brief and I’m going to play the game solo. I’ve set up the table as the original photo and distributed any impediments in and around the compound. What I’d really appreciate is a plan of attack from anyone who feels they can contribute.

There is very little known about the compound, there will probably be booby traps, security camera’s, bunkers under the living accommodation, clandestine escape routes, you name it.
The living accommodation might be the Bar, the rest of the buildings look like they are storage facilities but may not be. The bar by the way is the building with the Red Lions outside.
There’s obviously some form of guards/sentries but don’t forget, nothing significant showed up on thermal imaging when checking against human signatures, so this might just be a red herring. You don’t know how many guards etc there are, nor how effective they may be. Final point is that the helicopter hasn’t stayed long when it’s landed in the past and so you would expect this to have gone when you arrive.

The objective of the mission is to kill Zaira, this is the prime objective. The secondary objective is to extract Agent White, you have no communication channel open to her. You have Breakfast and Rainbow at your disposal, the rest is unknown.
;)

How would you go about it.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2023, 09:17:33 PM by Vagabond »

Online marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Re: Operation Window Maker - Prolog
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2023, 08:53:21 PM »
Take out the chopper and ambush the robo-machine gun with rpgs.  Then demo charges on the west wall to draw the fire teams away and assault over the east wall. Not hey diddle diddle right up the middle at the gate!
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Online Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2023, 09:05:07 PM »
This is brilliant stuff, me old mucker and no mistake! Superb looking game and lovely concept.

For my money, I'd get some surveillance in place first. Presumably this falls into the bailiwick of sniper team 'Breakfast'? get them as close as you can for 'eyes on' reconnaissance. I think you may need some more info on the mysterious shapes that are not on the thermal imaging. Presumably (cue dramatic music) not human?

Are the 'Rainbow' operatives trained for HALO? It might be an option?

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2023, 11:20:52 PM »
As the Mad Lord says, an impressive bit of background material and a great looking table.

Now, as to plans. Not sure if I can help you there, old boy. That part of the operation is for the rough soldiery. I’m strictly Intelligence. You’ll find me in my favour leather armchair in the smoking room of my club, full of cook’s shepherd’s pie, followed by spotted dick and custard, cradling a large brandy and whipping through The Times cryptic. When it comes to mud, blood and bullets, V’s your man.

Good luck, good hunting and tally-ho. Feel free to buzz me on the old magic squawk box if any pre-violence thinking is required.

e=mc2

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2023, 12:27:49 PM »
Take out the chopper and ambush the robo-machine gun with rpgs.  Then demo charges on the west wall to draw the fire teams away and assault over the east wall. Not hey diddle diddle right up the middle at the gate!

I see the subtle approach of one of my previous camp attacks doesn't meet with your approval ;) I remember my last attempt at a distraction went horribly wrong when the enemy was as slow to react as my attack force was to attack. However your cunning plan has a certain charm and I greatly appreciate the input. I'll let you know how it pans out, I'm hoping to start the attack tomorrow.  :o
Cheers

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2023, 12:31:49 PM »
This is brilliant stuff, me old mucker and no mistake! Superb looking game and lovely concept.

For my money, I'd get some surveillance in place first. Presumably this falls into the bailiwick of sniper team 'Breakfast'? get them as close as you can for 'eyes on' reconnaissance. I think you may need some more info on the mysterious shapes that are not on the thermal imaging. Presumably (cue dramatic music) not human?

Are the 'Rainbow' operatives trained for HALO? It might be an option?

Thanks for your thoughts, a cunning plan, as cunning maybe as a fox. I think a combination of Lon and your plan might just be V's recommendation to Z. Just see if there's any more ideas surface from other LAFfer's. :)
Cheers

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2023, 12:35:25 PM »
As the Mad Lord says, an impressive bit of background material and a great looking table.

Now, as to plans. Not sure if I can help you there, old boy. That part of the operation is for the rough soldiery. I’m strictly Intelligence. You’ll find me in my favour leather armchair in the smoking room of my club, full of cook’s shepherd’s pie, followed by spotted dick and custard, cradling a large brandy and whipping through The Times cryptic. When it comes to mud, blood and bullets, V’s your man.

Good luck, good hunting and tally-ho. Feel free to buzz me on the old magic squawk box if any pre-violence thinking is required.

e=mc2

Cheers Doug, I thought you might suggest the oblique approach, cottage pie sounds a great idea although I'm not too sure about the pudding but maybe Matron can cure it.  lol lol

Online Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2023, 03:04:48 PM »
Cheers Doug, I thought you might suggest the oblique approach, cottage pie sounds a great idea although I'm not too sure about the pudding but maybe Matron can cure it.  lol lol

Matron’s cures were always effective if a little eccentric. I still have problems with the chafing…

Anyway, just reprising the suggestions so far, I think there may be a problem using rpgs to take out the "mysterious shapes" which may or may not be robots. The mesh fence behind which these things are standing is pretty much a classic defence against rpgs isn’t it? Or is my info a little bit on the level of WW2 tech? Needs clarifying, anyway.

Doug

Online Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2023, 07:17:05 AM »
Then demo charges on the west wall to draw the fire teams away and assault over the east wall.

I think Lon is definitely on to something here, you are going to need a diversion. You are on a 'wet job' but it's difficult to see how you could keep it covert until the end. Maybe, Mrs. White could start a fire in the compound?

Looking forward to seeing more of this...

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2023, 10:50:09 AM »
If the target indeed hangs in the bar, then have Breakfast stand by in the tree line facing the bar's main entrance.
Have half of Rainbow sneak and a plant a bomb in the rusty car while the other half remains in support of Breakfast.
The explosion should bring out the target and boom, tango down.

Be careful, I knew Lola and Chardonnay in the 90's, they used to hang with a Ral Partha vampire pimp :)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2023, 12:26:57 PM »
“I’ve already scrambled Sniper team ‘Breakfast’ and they’re taking off in a couple of minutes, they’ll be under your direct command.”
PIC08

Finally he was giving me some good news; Breakfast was the best team we had. On a very good day Pop Pop could hit a man sized target at around 2,200m, at 1,500m she was 98%.

Then I thought of the jungle, she’d be lucky to get a 100m line of sight and it would probably be much less.

I solved your problem and re-equipped them for less-than-100m-LOS-operations in jungle climate conditions:

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2023, 04:35:48 PM »
Michi I think when Marinas Gamer was taking about RPG's he perhaps imagined a different sort of soft hollow shaped charge to be used against the robo machine gun.  ;)

I rather like the blonde on the left, is she free on friday night? Failing that can you tell me the manufacturer?
Cheers V

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2023, 04:41:45 PM »
If the target indeed hangs in the bar, then have Breakfast stand by in the tree line facing the bar's main entrance.
Have half of Rainbow sneak and a plant a bomb in the rusty car while the other half remains in support of Breakfast.
The explosion should bring out the target and boom, tango down.

Be careful, I knew Lola and Chardonnay in the 90's, they used to hang with a Ral Partha vampire pimp :)

With the various suggestions I think we have the makings of a plan -thanks.

I didn't know that about Lola and Chardonney, was the vampire a short squat chap with his arms in the air. If so I have him as well, I  don't remember them as a set but the 90's was a while back now.  8)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2023, 01:11:01 AM »
can you tell me the manufacturer?

Regretfully not - I painted them 15 years ago and forgot who made them, but I remember they came from the US and were sculpted to match those girls with guns calendars.

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2023, 12:13:35 PM »
They came with that guy