Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 02:56:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685048
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 541
Total: 544

Recent

Author Topic: Battletech opening  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Tolemykus

• Student
Battletech opening
« on: April 19, 2023, 01:41:56 AM »
I'm working on a new Battletech campaign for the local folks at the FLGS for the coming summer. I gave them this poem for them to figure out some details before I reveal everything to them. Of course, it isn't very cryptic. I thought some here might enjoy it. It is AI generated with my prompts. Whatever that means.  ::)

In Second Succession War, 'twas battle grim,
Where war machines, the BattleMechs did reign,
On fields of conflict, leaders acted dim,
In indecision, recklessness, inane.

The Star League's tech, forever lost in flame,
As MechWarriors fought on, heedless and wild,
Ignoring Ares, rules of war, all the same,
And planets, terraformed, destroyed and defiled.

The innocents, caught in the war's cruel throes,
Did suffer much, in death and devastation,
Their homes destroyed, their lives turned to woes,
A tragic toll, on this war's conflagration.

Oh, how the BattleMechs did rage and roar,
Their pilots, daring, skilled, and full of might,
But what a cost, in blood and tears, and more,
A legacy of sorrow, lasting, in sight.

So let us not forget, this bitter past,
Of war and loss, of technology's fall,
May we learn well, and never repeat the last,
And build anew, a future for us all.

Enjoy!

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Re: Battletech opening
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2023, 03:27:24 AM »
2nd Succession war...fascinating. 

The poem was lots of fun. 

Offline Cypher226

• Mad Scientist
    • Friendly Fire
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2023, 09:10:46 AM »
2SW's a very interesting time to set a game - any rules for random nukesto appear?  lol

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2023, 09:53:34 AM »
Nice.

As I'm a big fan of the classic Battletech novels, my favourite era is the 4th Succession War and the 1st Clan invasion. Dark Age covers the history after this period, and has brought the storyline forward, but I'm just not a fan.

The previous wars though are, to my knowledge, uncharted territory, as far as gaming is concerned and do appear quite interesting to me as well.

I'm curious to see where you will be taking this, especially in regards to your choice of mechs :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Tolemykus

• Student
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2023, 03:33:53 AM »
2SW's a very interesting time to set a game - any rules for random nukesto appear?  lol

The after game campaign narrative does have a use for the crates of tactical nukes that players can capture in the secondary missions. They are not actually used during a mission since that would be overkill and end the game in a hurry. Mostly it is used to apply an effect with political ramifications. Political Points are both currency and the campaign's overall objective.

Campaign Activities
Political Activities
Cost Benefit
-1 PP Reroll a Primary mission. Must also have, and use, a tactical nuke to select this option.
-1 PP Covert Ops. Delay an enemy mech's arrival by 1 turn. You choose mech.
-2 PP Calling in a favor by hacking a satellite. +1 initiative to dice rolls for the next game.
-1 PP Divert Supplies. Gain d6+2 QP.
-2 PP You went over your superior’s head and asked for an assault mech to be assigned to your unit.
Select one and trade out a heavy mech.

Offline Tolemykus

• Student
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2023, 03:44:03 AM »
I'm curious to see where you will be taking this, especially in regards to your choice of mechs :)

There are a couple Succession Wars products from Catalyst. I use the Master Unit list site to generate a list of mechs that the players can select from for this era. Catalyst has a pdf record sheet book for the battlemechs in the SWs but it does contain designs for all of the Succession Wars. But the list and book together makes a more detailed list for the 2nd SW.

The campaign is fairly abstract. We are only able to meet for a few hours every two weeks so I had to compromise on what happens on a mission. The actual game is very basic but the campaign materials will allow the players to provide the narrative for their units post game. It won't necessarily be the same narrative for all the players collectively.

I can post a link to the google document if anyone is interested.

Offline Tolemykus

• Student
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2023, 06:24:20 PM »
I made the campaign a skirmish style narrative campaign that focused on reducing time at the table. I removed certain elements from the game play. Play the game, complete paperwork elsewhere. Most times we have to clean up after the game and be out of the FLGS before they close. The games are usually 3 hours or less. The narrative isn't based on specific Battletech historical events. They are more ahistorical.

Here is a link to the google document file. I made it open and it can be copied and downloaded. Don't expect perfect prose. It was barely edited beyond spelling. If anyone can't access, let me know. I'll try to change the settings. Google can sometimes be difficult.

Operation Cavalcade

Feel free to let me know what you think. Any criticism is valid. Debate is welcome. Personal attacks expected (kidding, of course).  :D

And get some sleep!

Offline Stryder

• Assistant
    • Dirt Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2023, 08:43:45 PM »
Looks like its going to be a fun summer. Thanks for sharing the doc, will read during my breaks at work!
"I came, I saw, I gamed - Veni, vidi, lusimus"

Offline Tolemykus

• Student
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2023, 10:43:17 PM »
The first game of our Battletech campaign using the rules I posted was played the other day. I have just one photo. Not much to look at anyway. When we got out our old terrain after having not played in a long time we found most of it to be ruined from when the street flooded during a storm at the FLGS. The storm drains were blocked and the storage area flooded. So, we start over. We have our late 90's Monday Knight's mat and some 3d printed buildings. No streets or other pieces. We'll get there.

We rolled the Traveling Dignitary primary mission and Infantry Weapons Factory and Kick the Can for the secondary missions. In the picture left center is the remains of the factory. The monorail in the center just arrived on turn 4.

Two players participated. Another wanted to join but he was in the hospital. He's recovering. Another two were no-shows. Just another slow building campaign, which is fine. It will give us time to work the bugs out.

Player one took the primary and player two completed the Infantry weapons factory secondary. We were working on the other secondary but we decided to be conservative for the first mission.  We withdrew. More carnage next time when more peeps make the game.

Player 1
Marauder
Warhammer
Centurion
Jenner

Player 2
Shootist
Ostroc
Starslayer
Hermes

Enjoy!

Offline LouieN