Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:15:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Old School Grom the Paunch (and lots of other Orcs)  (Read 1981 times)

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
Old School Grom the Paunch (and lots of other Orcs)
« on: April 26, 2023, 12:10:36 PM »
I just touched up a very old Grom the Paunch model to fit in with my "modern" Orc and Goblin army (itself only a decade old :)). I thought fans of the Oldhammer concept might enjoy this one.

The full Orc army can be found here.
Wargaming Workshop - My hobby journey and collection
Allied Army of the Netherlands - my current Waterloo 28mm project

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Re: Old School Grom the Paunch (and lots of other Orcs)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2023, 12:15:46 PM »
Nicely done but "old"? That Grom is a mere young'n there are  two versions of Grom even older than that 😉

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2023, 12:28:10 PM »
Nicely done but "old"? That Grom is a mere young'n there are  two versions of Grom even older than that 😉

There are? I never knew and would love to find out more. My personal window into WFB started in the early 90s so this Grom model was definitely my first/oldest. I know there were a couple of Goblin chariot models (see below) and a tiny metal "ghost chariot" pulled by a tiny metal board before that (also in my pile but not painted). But I didn't know that there was a Grom kit.

These are the "refurbished" old metal kits that I know. Top left is the "new" plastic kit. Top right is the old metal kit from the early 90s (?) but with plastic wolves, bottom is the same kit with original metal wolves but some repairs.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2023, 01:53:21 PM »
Nice throwback to the 90's!
 8) 8)

There are? I never knew and would love to find out more.

The earlier versions that Diablo Jon is referring to are on foot leading an infantry Regiment of Renown, and were known as Grom's Goblin Guard.
They can both be found here, in amongst the other early Regiments of Renown:

http://solegends.com/citrr/index.htm

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2023, 02:46:21 PM »
Brill  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2023, 06:10:54 PM »
Cracking job.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline Helge

• Librarian
    • Wargaming Workshop
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2023, 12:16:40 AM »
Mason, thanks for enlightening me! I didn't know there were "pre-fat foot Groms" :). Looking at that list, I actually have a bunch of those regiments of renown in storage. Not Grom's though :(.

Voltan/Oshiro: Thanks for kind comments. Appreciated.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2023, 06:28:23 AM »
There are? I never knew and would love to find out more. My personal window into WFB started in the early 90s so this Grom model was definitely my first/oldest. I know there were a couple of Goblin chariot models (see below) and a tiny metal "ghost chariot" pulled by a tiny metal board before that (also in my pile but not painted). But I didn't know that there was a Grom kit.

Nice chariots I have a couple of the older ones in my lead pile awaiting some love.

With out wanting to hijack your thread here is the original (decidedly skinny) Grom and his goblin guard, sculpted by the Perry twin, from 1984 a couple of years latter they were remade with slotta bases and sculpted by Kev Adams IIRC then your Grom appeared in the early 90s as part of 4th edition WFB.

Also the tiny boar chariot is the Goblin kings chariot circa 1987 here's my version its a great little model one of my favourites

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2023, 08:16:16 PM »
So, the version of Grom that Diablo John is not 'pre-fat' or 'decidedly skinny'. He is still known as 'Grom, Paunch of the Misty Mountain'. He is rumoured to be half-Goblin, half-Ogre. He's sculpted with his belly out after all.

There are indeed several old metal Goblin chariots. One of them is the chariot of 'Bogdan Legbreak, Goblin Warlord'. In the earliest versions of the Warhammer 'history', it's Bogdan Legbreak and his son 'Mad Eyed' Hogg who lead the Goblin chariots in Grom's war.

I wrote about some of this stuff years ago on my blog:

https://fantasyadventuringblog.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-college-of-speculative-antiquarians_12.html

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2023, 10:36:57 PM »
Gorgeous Oldhammer

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2023, 06:21:07 AM »
So, the version of Grom that Diablo John is not 'pre-fat' or 'decidedly skinny'. He is still known as 'Grom, Paunch of the Misty Mountain'. He is rumoured to be half-Goblin, half-Ogre. He's sculpted with his belly out after all.

There are indeed several old metal Goblin chariots. One of them is the chariot of 'Bogdan Legbreak, Goblin Warlord'. In the earliest versions of the Warhammer 'history', it's Bogdan Legbreak and his son 'Mad Eyed' Hogg who lead the Goblin chariots in Grom's war.

I wrote about some of this stuff years ago on my blog:

https://fantasyadventuringblog.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-college-of-speculative-antiquarians_12.html

Compared to the early 90s version the 1984 version is decidedly skinny  he has a bit of a beer gut no where near as impressive as the 90s version.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2023, 08:56:07 AM »
The '90s version does make him look like he's eaten another similar-sized goblin whole, it's true!