Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:02:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Adhesive recommendations for 3D prints?  (Read 807 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
Adhesive recommendations for 3D prints?
« on: May 04, 2023, 04:32:28 PM »
Just like it says, what adhesives are recommended for 3D prints. 

Also, any potential hazards in washing prints prior to priming?  And hazards with priming?  I favor using rattle can sprays as my primers, usually a red brown, Krylon being my go to brand here in the U.S.  Obviously, a little test on sample pieces is in order.

I guess one concern is how various print mediums will respond?

Thanks for whatever pointers, information you can provide.

Offline Fitz

• Mad Scientist
    • The Website of Fitz
Re: Adhesive recommendations for 3D prints?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2023, 08:49:55 PM »
I've found superglue to be adequate for most cases. If I need a stronger bond than that I'll use epoxy, usually just the 5-minute stuff.

FDM prints should not need washing as there are no release agents or anything involved. They benefit from the use of a sealing primer though, as they can sometimes be a pit porous.

Resin prints shouldn't need washing either, but they're more likely to have surface contamination if they haven't been properly cleaned before curing. A thorough going-over in a bath of meths, isopropanol or acetone with a soft brush, paying special attention to creases and crevices, should do the trick.

Prints from Shapeways will almost certainly need cleaning, as their "supportless" technology builds up the object in a tub of a support matrix. The SLS prints will have nylon dust present that can just be washed away with warm soapy water, while the resin prints usually have a waxy bloom that will need to be washed off with acetone. Don't leave a print in the acetone for longer than five or ten minutes though as it will begin to eat away at the detail.

Offline Kelly_

• Bookworm
  • ...the underscore is silent
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 11:35:22 PM »
Second on the superglue, the only thing I would add is some light scoring before attaching resin prints depending on how smooth the connection points are... any faces of the model that were flat on the build plate would be far smoother than anything from injection molded plastics or traditional resin molds.

Also, fast cleans with a brush are best for any washing on either type of print along with a liberal water rinse and plenty of time for drying.  There are microscopic fissures along the layer edges of resin prints, and any cleaning residue left over in those spots would impact how well primers adhere.
If my wife asks, I only spent half as much as I wanted to...

Online Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2023, 08:49:22 PM »
3rd on superglue for FDM prints. Also the comments about prints being thirsty is true as well

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2023, 11:05:11 AM »
4th!

It's the only glue I've found to work with the results from my resin printer.

The resin I use is marketed as 'ABS-like', but don't let that fool you into believing that MEK-PAK or polystyrene glue like Plastic Weld will work with the material, because it sadly won't.

It's the only downside to resin printing, as far as I'm concerned ;)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!