Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 03:14:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Crimean War Russians: hitched coats and spiked helmets?  (Read 915 times)

Offline PBR Streetgang

• Bookworm
Crimean War Russians: hitched coats and spiked helmets?
« on: May 06, 2023, 11:59:27 PM »
Hello all. I am painting up some 10mm Crimean War Russians and have a question. I have seen the overcoats long and I've seen them hitched. Then there are forage caps and spiked helmets.

My question is, was the decision to wear the coat hitched or the choice of headgear a personal decision or was this made at a certain level by someone (company, battalion, regimental command)? 

Trying to figure out if my figures with these various options be segregated or mixed about. Thanks so much for the input!

Offline Khmorg

• Mad Scientist
Re: Crimean War Russians: hitched coats and spiked helmets?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2023, 07:35:10 PM »
Hello
Sorry for answering so late.
According to the military regulations, it was supposed to have a helmet (helmet) on the head in the ranks (parade, celebration or general battle). So it was with Alma. But later it was revealed that it is not convenient. When heated (the helmet was krzhany) it decreased in size.

Caps are provided for being out of order and were not introduced by the mouth. They were sewn from overcoats that had served their time (a new overcoat was issued every three years). After Alma, caps were worn as a rule. It was simply more convenient, but if you showed up in St. Petersburg in a cap, you would have received a penalty.  ;)

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2023, 04:25:35 AM »
Dima, don't mislead colleague  ;)
Peakless caps were made from outdated uniforms (tunic and trousers), but not from overcoats. The overcoats were gray-brown in color, and the peakless caps was green with colored details.

« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 04:32:02 AM by cuprum »

Offline PBR Streetgang

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2023, 11:43:47 PM »
Tha k you all gentlemen, it's much appreciated. I have quite a few figures in both helmet and cap. I will proceed with units in mostly helmet and a few caps or entirely cap.