Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:35:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690840
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mordheim + Realms of Chaos? Anyone tried it? (first warband members)  (Read 2942 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Mordheim + Realms of Chaos? Anyone tried it?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2023, 11:10:37 AM »
A couple of issues I can see reducing the LD, CL, WP and INT to just LD is that lots of the chaos mutations gave bonuses or reductions to those stats and Champions of Slaanesh were gifted +1 WP as there starting gift which is a bit redundant if you don't use WP. Also iirc WP was needed for controling Desmond swords. So you'd have to find a work around to that.

Yes, that's a good point. I'm inclined to lean towards just using Ld and having all psychological-stat modifications apply to that (too many memories of WHFB trolls, cold ones and trogs crippled by Int tests ...). Now, that could end up in a lot of mutations cancelling each other out. But I suspect we'll just take a "cross that bridge when we come to it" approach (reroll if irrelevant?).

The other approach - inelegant but perhaps perfectly practicable - would be just to give the chaos champions the full psychological statline and allow them to take tests on the individual stats even though everyone else uses Ld. It would at least convey that they are somewhat more psychologically fraught!

As far as Slaanesh goes, I'm not sure that we'll end up using the four main chaos gods all that much (not least because the starting gifts for each type introduce a bit of repetition). If we do use Khorne, etc., it might be in the guise of some of their less well-known avatars (Gorth the Great Obesity, Wenwoch the Waylayer, etc.).

Magic is if recall quite different between 3rd edition WHFB and Mordheim so you'll need a work around for that it would be a shame to lose the Power specific spells from Realms of Chaos. Oddly a number of the 3rd edition spells would probably work better in a Mordheim scale game than they did in a 3rd edition  mass battle.

Yeah, I hated magic (with an almost Khornate vigour) in WFB 3rd. In our childhood games, we almost always ended up banning it altogether. But I'd be willing to try out some of the RoC stuff and see how it goes.

What advantages are you getting from playing Mordheim over just playing 3rd edition WHFB with the Realms of Chaos books?

Ah - now, quite a lot, I think! Despite years of childhood exposure to it (and lots of nostalgia), I don't really like WHFB 3rd - at least, as a game rather than an artefact. I preferred the more freewheeling approach of 2nd (before Ravening Hordes!). And when my friends and I dropped WHFB for Hordes of the Things, I remember an extraordinary 'eureka' moment: this is how a fantasy wargame should work!

But Mordheim, I think, does a lot of interesting things. It makes more use of the statline (especially I), and its more granular combat is better suited for a game with so much detail in the stats. The more I pore over Mordheim, the more I see the seeds of Song of Blades and Heroes (knockdowns, pushing people off ledges, etc.). And I like its much lower-key magic. On top of that, there's the campaign system, which looks great.

The other thing is that RoC warbands don't tend to be forces that take advantage of WHFB 3rd's rank and manoeuvre rules. It doesn't make much sense to me to play a rank'n'flank game with 17 figures (the warband I rolled up yesterday).

But 17 figures in Mordheim? That's towards the upper limit of a Mordheim warband, thanks to some above-average rolls, but not 'broken' - especially as the champion himself is much weaker than any of the starting Mordheim leaders.

I also like the idea of RoC warbands fighting 'normal' warbands rather than each other. And I really like the idea of different campaign objectives interacting with each other. I'm think of a four-side game in which one or two chaos warbands just wants slaughter in the service of their dark gods while the other groups are trying to secure warpstone.

Oh - and a couple more things: I like the 'mixed' warbands that RoC can produce - and even if they prove game-wrecking, the models created in the process should work as beastmen, mutants and cultists for Cult of the Possessed warbands. I started kitbashing the RoC human mutants with weapon-limbs yesterday; they'll work just fine as Mordheim mutants with 'great claw' if nothing else!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2023, 11:14:00 AM by Hobgoblin »

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2023, 12:20:18 PM »
I want Desmond swords to be a thing....

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2023, 12:25:51 PM »
I want Desmond swords to be a thing....

Richard Desmond swords? Popular with champions of Slaanesh, perhaps ...

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2023, 02:55:37 PM »
Richard Desmond swords? Popular with champions of Slaanesh, perhaps ...

I was showing my age and imagining an elderly Jamaican barber, but yeah, that too.  lol

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2023, 01:44:24 PM »
Well, here's the start of the warband - the three 'regular' Skaven and the first of the human mutants:

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Mordheim + Realms of Chaos? Anyone tried it? (first warband members)
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2023, 04:09:54 PM »
I like those a lot! The human mutant conversion based on the Oathmark orc body works well (by the look of it, the head is the only human part on the figure!). I like the colour palette for the figures, too. It will be fun to see this warband develop!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2023, 07:58:59 PM »
I like those a lot! The human mutant conversion based on the Oathmark orc body works well (by the look of it, the head is the only human part on the figure!). I like the colour palette for the figures, too. It will be fun to see this warband develop!

Thanks - and well spotted! Yes, the Victrix Viking head is the only human element.

It goes without saying that all members of this warband will be kitbashed to some extent - it somehow wouldn't be in the spirit of Realms of Chaos to do otherwise (which is odd, really, given how few plastic kits GW produced back then!).

Offline tikitang

• Mad Scientist
  • A shadow out of time...
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2023, 08:26:45 PM »
Superb!
https://a-descent-into-the-maelstrom.blogspot.com/

"The things you own end up owning you. It's only after you lose everything that you're free to do anything."

- Chuck Palahniuk

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2023, 01:36:17 PM »
Very nice. That is an effective colour scheme.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2023, 01:48:23 PM »
Thanks!

Here are the kitbashes for the next few members of the band: the two Skaven with prehensile tails and another weapon-limbed human.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2023, 01:52:55 PM by Hobgoblin »

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
    • The Evil Lead
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2023, 02:00:34 PM »
These are excellent.

It goes without saying that all members of this warband will be kitbashed to some extent - it somehow wouldn't be in the spirit of Realms of Chaos to do otherwise (which is odd, really, given how few plastic kits GW produced back then!).

I seem to remember back in the day 'Eavy Metal went into great detail on how to saw up your expensive metal figures and replace limbs with Milliput tentacles and the like!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2023, 02:23:45 PM »
These are excellent.

I seem to remember back in the day 'Eavy Metal went into great detail on how to saw up your expensive metal figures and replace limbs with Milliput tentacles and the like!

Cheers!

You're quite right, of course: I still have a couple of sawn-up and reconstructed beastmen from the late 80s!