Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:26:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Sellswords and Spellslingers - Close Quarter Battles campaign - 12/12 The Finale  (Read 11188 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Sellswords and Spellslingers - Close Quarter Battles new campiagn
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2023, 09:54:35 AM »
The marketplace scenario is a great idea and sounds like it gave a good game. Looks good as well :)

Doug

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2023, 02:43:36 AM »
In preparation for the next 2 games I created some scenery. One of the side quests has a wooden altar  and setas, and I was looking around for ideas using what I already own and I found this. Its the base from a Bones V Arakoth Giant spider. The base is actually nicely detailed with skulls and bones littered around, but it hard to tell from most of the pictures online, as the spider dominates. I used the existing holes for the spiders legs and made some simple skull poles out of toothpicks with skulls on top. The standard is from my bits box (no idea what the main part is), with parts from a GW chaos warrior standard.

The benches are just coffee stirrers with the stone legs made from Foamed PVC offcuts.

Next minute its all painted and some Cultists have come to check it for their upcoming rally!

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2023, 03:01:46 AM »
For the next scenario I made some wooden walkways, which can also double as WW1 trench duckboards at a squeeze. These were made from different sized coffee stirrers which I roughed up, and dragged a modelling saw down the wood to add a more pronounced wood grain.

Excuse the photo it was a bit sunny when I took the picture!

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2023, 08:58:09 AM »
The 3rd game of our Close Quarters campaign was titled Pest Control. The PCs had to venture out into a rubbish strewn area outside the city and deal with various pests. The ground was swampy and broken so any movement not on the walkways was slowed to half speed (not for the monsters though). There were 3 nests scattered around the board (we used tree stumps) and the PCs had to set fire to them.

We deployed the monsters and unfortunately almost all of them were within a single movement of the PCs!

Turn one and the archer fired his bow at one of the brutes (Gnoll) while the fighter waded into combat with the horde of Ratmen.

In the second turn, the Event card was drawn, and a giant sinkhole opened up around the archer. All miniatures within 3" had to test to not fall over, and some did as well as both PCs!

And then shortly after a Wandering monster card was drawn and 3 thugs turned up right behind the PCs, looking for some action.

Next we got a Monster frenzy card and all monsters activated. Things were looking pretty grim and the archer took a wound, but was able to hang, while the fighter killed the Ratkin horde including an additional ambusher.

After clearing those and moving back towards the walkway, another wandering monster horde of Ratkin appeared at the PCs backs, and charged!

Both PCs suffered another wound during this melee and we were seriously considering whether or not to flee the battlefield at this point.

But the PCs barely had time to decide as they had to kill the Ratkin brute first, and then were set upon by yet another horde of Ratkin as well as an ambusher.

Finally the PCs had some breathing space and had killed all the enemies in close proximity. The Archer healed himself and the party choose to complete the objectives.

Some good activation dice and suddenly the archer was setting fire to the first nest. Meanwhile the fighter moved around to attack a horde of Ratkin who had arrived.

'

The archer moved onto the second nest while the fighter killed the Ratkin

Suddenly things were looking rosy. The second nest was destroyed and the fighter got 5 activation dice and raced towards the last nest and destroyed it. We debated if we should loot the dead bodies but decided not to push our luck and exited the table. Mission Complete!

This was a very full on game right from the start and we spent most of the game stuck at the beginning. It was a tougher scenario than we expected because we were swamped with so many opponents early on, and they kept on coming. My archer forgot to use his free disengage skill and his lucky skill, so we weren’t helping ourselves.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Great work on those walkways. 

Offline Khusru2

• Librarian
    • Travels with Khusru
I lije the market & rubbish dump scenarios. Where are they from? Or did you make them?
Nice games & reports

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
This looks most interesting,  hope you continue the storyline.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
Thanks, it's part of this campaign
https://www.lulu.com/shop/andrea-sfiligoi-and-damien-fokan/close-quarter-battles-softcover-edition/paperback/product-dvgg5e.html?page=1&pageSize=4

I lije the market & rubbish dump scenarios. Where are they from? Or did you make them?
Nice games & reports

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
This looks most interesting,  hope you continue the storyline.

We will be as its a fantastic campaign. We've played the 4th game and I just need to write up the battle report.

Offline Khusru2

• Librarian
    • Travels with Khusru
Great. I'll buy that.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
On the outskirts of Luurkana a sinster cult is gathering.... game 4 coming soon.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
Game 4 – AKA Act 2 - Undercover

For this scenario our party has to investigate the activities of a religious activists, and find out any information. There was stealth element to this scenario which can allow the party to get close to the gathering without being discovered. To complete their mission, the PCs had to find various clues scattered around the gathering and any carried by the Cultists themselves.

Note quite a few raging mob figures were recycled, so a lot show up more than once in the game.

The table was setup with 3 hordes of raging mobs, and 4 Cultists with the PCs starting at the bottom of the table. Their plan was to skirt around the side and pick off the first cultist.

However the very first activation failure spawned a raging mob member (who obviously had slept in), which burst out of the tent and attacked the PCs. Unfortunately this raised the alarm and any chance of stealth movement was lost.

After dispatching the ambusher, we advances and then a Horde Activates card was drawn, and a Raging mob advanced towards the PCs. After some excellent activation dice and shooting, the Raging mob was cut down by the Archer.

The Archer advanced slowly towards the altar while the fighter moved around to the left and attacked a Cultist.

There was more superb shooting by the Archer, who shot and killed a Cultist and a Raging Mob member. Meanwhile the fighter scored a hit on the other Cultist.

Next the fighter got into some trouble with an ambusher bursting out of the bushes and attacking.

But the fighter made short work of the ambusher, and then proceeded to kill the Cultist!

Then a failed activation brought on some Iron Pike Guardsmen. Until they contacted the PCs we wouldn’t know whose side they were on.

Some more failed activations turned over more event cards including a monster frenzy, which brought the enemy closer. The Cult leader was incensed by the death of his fellow Cultist, and charged the fighter. In the middle the archer was under threat from a Raging Mob horde and another Cultist.

And then a mob member erupted from the toilet (not sure if he stopped to wash his hands first), and attacked the Archer. The Archer won the combat and killed the mobster.

The Archer continued to roll great dice, and killed the remaining Raging mobs and another Cultist. On the left the Cult leader suffered a wound at the hands of the fighter.

The fighter killed the last Cultist and then sprang a Teleport trap and was sent close his starting position. After recovering he moved back to the seats, and the PCs began to look for clues.

The Iron Pike guards moved up to the PCs, and the PCs attempted to charm their way out of the situation, but that failed and instead the Guardsmen attacked.

Again the PCs fought very well and killed but Guardsmen, and now the table was clear of foes. The PCS searched the remaining clue locations and it was game over.

Afterthoughts
Compared to the last game that went very well. The PCs rolled good activation dice, which meant less enemy actions, and they were able to get through the scenario with only 1 wound suffered. It was another great scenario and it was a bit of a shame we didn’t get to use the stealth rules to sneak around.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 10:41:45 AM by 6mmfan »

Online Sunjester

• Mastermind
Our attempt at this scenario was very similar, we intended to make use of the stealth rules, but were spotted and the alarm raised in the first turn!

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
Looks like a great time !

I'm still playing RoSD for my skirmish, but this looks like a fine alternative

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
Our attempt at this scenario was very similar, we intended to make use of the stealth rules, but were spotted and the alarm raised in the first turn!

Yeah, one wrong event card and thats it.