Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:12:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690888
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 884
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Shadows of Centralis explained  (Read 1794 times)

Offline shadowsofcentralis

• Student
Shadows of Centralis explained
« on: May 19, 2023, 01:03:18 PM »
Hello!

I've just come across a thread querying Shadows of Centralis and thought I'd offer some insight into the game!

I'm John Wombat, author of Shadows of Centralis, part of Wombat Wargames. Shadows of Centralis is a tabletop wargame which allows players to use 28mm miniatures from any model manufacturer, old or new. Rick Priestley very kindly provided the foreword, whilst the cover artwork for 2nd edition comes from Tony Hough. Games can range in size from 20 - 30 models per side through to larger games which involve hundreds of models. The game uses both D10's and D6's, while measurements are made in inches. The rules uses a Rounds and Turns approach; within each Round, each players takes his Turn.

Turn sequence: Movement, Hand-to-Hand, Shooting, Magic

Standout gaming features: Praying to the gods and interference from the gods, along with Weather Conditions.

The rules of the game have been designed to be easy to remember, whilst the nuances of the system allow for many strategic considerations. The book itself contains all the information needed to play a game of SoC; one of the new features in this addition is the inclusion of Magic Spell and Weather Condition cards which can be printed out. The SoC website also offers free PDF downloads of these.

In support of the SoC, we release a monthly magazine. As well as being made available as an A5 paperback via Amazon, we also make this available as a free PDF download from the SoC website.

Shadows of Centralis has a richly detailed backstory, there are fifteen different factions and a pantheon of fourteen gods. What's more, the game's first expansion, SoC: Seas of the Orb is set for imminent release; 1/300 scale with an official range of models and playing pieces by Bob Naismith.

I would very much welcome the opportunity to answer any questions anyone has, please feel free to fire away!

« Last Edit: May 19, 2023, 01:11:38 PM by shadowsofcentralis »

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
Re: Shadows of Centralis explained
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2023, 01:29:20 PM »
Hi John,

Thanks a lot for replying, that's really useful.

I've been drawn to the game seeing the artwork and reading more about the project on your website. Thanks for explaining a bit more here, but would you be able to say a bit more about gameplay? We are currently in an era of a lot of indie skirmish games and we are all "spoilt for choice". So, notwithstanding the production values, the very obvious effort you put into the world, and the praying/weather mechanics, would you be able to say how does the game actually play? Is it fast or more meticulous, is it meant for one-off games or is there a campaign support, is it more of an open-table or packed-table experience?

Thanks in advance 😊😊

• Student
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2023, 02:14:58 PM »
Hi Maxromek,

No problem, thank you for your interest in Shadows of Centralis, feel free to keep the questions coming!

Shadows of Centralis is not a rank and file system, so units can be spread out (models within the same unit are no more than 1" apart), unit size maximums vary between 10 - 20 models.

Things have been designed to be pretty flowing in terms of the actual game play. There is a set sequence of events, but each is simple to work through, not overly complicated but with enough considerations to test tactical acumen!

The more models involved, the longer the game. The same applies with terrain. Tables aren't usually packed with terrain, perhaps a few hills, ruins and trees, for example. However, there is nothing to stop players from adding as much as they want. On the note of terrain, SoC also uses Time Pockets, which allow units to instantaneously travel across the table, these are placed with the other terrain pieces.

If players decide to field small numbers of models, say 20 - 30, then a game could be played in around 30 - 40 minutes. Let's say players look to field 100 models per side, then a game may last around 60 - 90 minutes.

The rules are laid out for one-off games, however there is nothing to prevent players from creating their own campaigns. Moving forward, we will be creating campaigns for players too. As we release more expansions, such as the upcoming SoC: Seas of the Orb, wider and more involved campaigns will be possible.

Here's a link for a free PDF download of the latest issue of our magazine: https://shadowsofcentralis.com/monthly-magazine-issue-13-april-2023/ Should you want to, feel free to connect with our social media pages too, we'd welcome the support!

Again, please fire away with any further questions or comments too. :)

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2023, 02:56:01 PM »
Thanks John, I really appreciate the answers!

I guess my final question would be about your YouTube channel - seems like a great place to have a demo game filmed and posted, so do you have any plans to do that?

I'm pretty convinced to buy the game regardless, but I'm just curious at this point 😁

• Student
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2023, 03:05:38 PM »
Hi Maxromek,

Yes, we will be populating our YouTube channel with demo games and other related content moving forward, expect the first very soon!

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2023, 10:51:20 PM »
Oh brilliant!

Thanks for the info!

• Student
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2023, 11:29:49 AM »
No problem. Check your private messages. :)

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2023, 11:35:14 PM »
Hmmm, can't see anything new in my messages

Offline tjgreenway

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2023, 01:28:09 AM »
With regards the second edition, has much changed other than the cover and addition of the cards? Very slowly painting up a couple of forces, hoping to get a first game in soon.

• Student
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2023, 01:29:12 PM »
Hi tjgreenway,

With regards the second edition, has much changed other than the cover and addition of the cards? Very slowly painting up a couple of forces, hoping to get a first game in soon.

thank you for your question and interest in Shadows of Centralis. There are some changes to the content but nothing which should impact too much if you already have the 1st edition book. Which forces are you painting up? I'd been interested to hear how your games go. Should you want to join, there is a SoC players group over on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1116761822421228

Here's a video flick through of 2nd edition:

• Student
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2023, 01:31:47 PM »
Hi Maxromek,

Hmmm, can't see anything new in my messages

must be gremlins in the system. Do you want to try sending me a message, then I can reply?

Offline Dubbya

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2023, 03:48:18 AM »
Bit of a late response from me (I was in the thread that led to this one!).

I really feel a battle report would gona long way to generating interest. I ilusually base a purchase on how the creator feels a game should look, what size game etc. and a report is such an easy way. Nothing more than a couple of photos and a short write up.

By the way, I love how much the game supports different miniature makers, small and large!