Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:24:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [Doodler's 6mm] War/Security/Industrial Bots || 14 Aug  (Read 4890 times)

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
Re: [Doodler's 6mm] And more scratch-built terrain || 09 Jul
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2023, 12:02:15 AM »
Last few bits of terrain, though one of them is far too tall to fit into any of the travel-friendly gaming solutions.

Now it's all systems go to finish the travel board in time for a trip on Tuesday.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2023, 10:16:50 PM »
Great stuff. I’m guessing the latter is styrofoam packaging? There’s a lot of potential in such things especially as say a compound or roof top for a smaller skirmish - when my friend and I started playing Confrontation again that’s what we used and they served well - didn’t look as nice as yours though!

Balm
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2023, 11:12:25 PM »
Man, you've done beautiful things with some trashbashed stuff there. I love seeing people's home made terrain

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2023, 08:59:24 AM »
Cheers, both. Mrs Doodler has been very patient with the steady accumulation of junk and hardware with scrapbuilding potential but whose actual names and uses remain a mystery to me.

I’m guessing the latter is styrofoam packaging?

Actually, it's part of the inner workings of the DVD player:

The rest has gone into one of the crates under the desk (the need for name room hopefully ensuring the junk accumulation keeps to a manageable level).

With the aim to have most of these be transportable I've tried to keep to sturdy materials so that any inevitable bumps don't permanently damage them. I'd find it hard to ignore the glaring white scars!

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: [Doodler's 6mm] Hab Pods || 20 Jul
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2023, 11:50:42 AM »
Made some quick and easy hab pods for a sci fi colony. There's a step-by-step process detailed on the blog, but it essentially boils down to sticking the end of a cable tie onto a mini white board eraser a few times.

Handily, the erasers come with magnets already attached, so it's now just a case of trying to make the paint job as sturdy as possible on this rather paint-unfriendly plastic. Currently going with gesso over the sanded plastic, some wall paints and several layers of quickshade varnish and matt acrylic varnish. I still don't see it lasting forever, but hopefully it will keep any chipping fairly small, small enough to add to the worn colony look.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2023, 02:28:10 PM »
Nice work mate, all the stuff you used plays the part.
I have several bigger ones ( erasers) set aside for a 15mm scratchbuilt project.
rather paint-unfriendly plastic
It looks like polythene, you're right. It is a notorious plastic to hold paint.
Next time you might sand it down with fine sandpaper to remove the glossy finish & create a better base to hold paint.
You might also just give it a wash if the colour is ok.

Z
http://castrarunis.blogspot.com/

Imagine & you can.
Most see shapes you must see possibilities.
Z

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2023, 06:16:27 PM »
Your post made my buy $50 worth of CP Models for my Alpha Strike games!

Thank you!
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2023, 04:14:52 PM »
Nice work mate, all the stuff you used plays the part.
I have several bigger ones ( erasers) set aside for a 15mm scratchbuilt project.It looks like polythene, you're right. It is a notorious plastic to hold paint.
Next time you might sand it down with fine sandpaper to remove the glossy finish & create a better base to hold paint.
You might also just give it a wash if the colour is ok.

Z

Were you able to find them reasonably economical? All the ones I found started verging into the same territory as actual terrain price-wise.

I didn't think to wash them beforehand (doh!) but the sanding so far seems to be working well. I haven't treated them to the fingernail test, but they've survived two train journeys so far.

Your post made my buy $50 worth of CP Models for my Alpha Strike games!

Thank you!

Considering how cheap they are, that must be a fair few minis!

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2023, 05:13:48 PM »
Re
Were you able to find them reasonably economical? All the ones I found started verging into the same territory as actual terrain price-wise.

Mine are totally recycled  ;).They're the remove the erasuring felt when full type. Btw the felt is washable & when drybrushed with a suitable colour makes great fields, grass etc.
Z

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: [Doodler's 6mm] More Space Adventurers || 24 Jul
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2023, 03:10:27 PM »
I knew I should have held onto those pads. Hoarder's motto: you never know...

Working through a few more of the CP Models character range, reminding myself to go for more colours and starker highlights. Not sure they stand out that much more than the first batch of characters - the change in base colour has probably had more of an impact.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Re: [Doodler's 6mm] More Space Adventurers || 24 Jul
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2023, 05:00:35 PM »
Those look great

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: [Doodler's 6mm] Travel case and board || 27 Jul
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2023, 11:14:02 AM »
I managed to get the case done in time for the trip a few weeks ago. A chessboard and backgammon set, with the playing pieces unceremoniously dumped into the scrap box and the board/case converted for in-to-cm travel gaming. Both interior and exterior have a thin layer of steel so that in gameplay things don't get knocked about too easily and stored terrain can be kept safe when in transit. It opens up into a 39cm square playing area, with some secondary gaming boards inside for those battles taking place in narrow confines, and folds up small enough to fit into my rucksack. It's got a few coats of glossy and matt varnish for durability but in the end I was more concerned about protecting everything else in the rucksack from it; I had to wrap it in a bag to avoid sandpapering my books.

There's a step by step process on my blog.

Most of the scrap-built terrain fits inside but I think it would be better to put together some scenery with more thought given to efficient packing. Stackable walkways, modular walls (some prototypes can be scene partially completed in the fifth photo), maybe just some simple building block-like constructions for fighting around and on top of.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
Re: [Doodler's 6mm] Unity Enforcers || 29 Jul
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2023, 12:19:14 PM »
Painted up some Brigade Models in the 'official' colour scheme for some Unity-led opponents.

Offline zrunelord

• Mastermind
    • Picts from the Front
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2023, 12:35:19 PM »
Now those came out quite nice. Lovely orange. Quite striking with darker colour. Pac fed?
Incidentally or intentionally the same shade as the
Battery ( official sponsor ? ) ;)

Z

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2023, 03:37:50 PM »
The travel boards are amazing.  Great creativity