Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:58:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690462
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: PANZERKAPUT RIDES AGAIN – REVAMPING GANGS OF ROME  (Read 2903 times)

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
Re: PANZERKAPUT RIDES AGAIN – REVAMPING GANGS OF ROME
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2023, 09:53:49 AM »
The Domus Amet, the Reading House

The Domus Amet, the Domus Voluptati, the House of Fun, a pleasure house where it is said that the ladies read to their clients upstairs, well thats the rumour, no hanky-panky in there, snigger, where the crowd taberna on the ground floor is full of men wait to be read at. The Domina of the house, The Lady Serena, keep the men in order and has been know to "help" with the readings too but is mainly found wondering around the taberna ensuring everyone is happy. The rumours as that she is a head of a crime gang but no one wants to ask her.

This is the fifth building that has been revamped and upgraded for my Gangs of Rome games and with an upgraded roof and pavement but also this time I have tiled the floor inside the taberna too. The building itself is from Sarissa Precision's Streets of Rome range, and is called a Lower Rank Insula Corner and it is a lovely kit. Its goo to have these corner buildings as it means you can have these house blocks to add interest on the table.

I have added the fridge liner pantiles to the floor and this time besides adding a pavement I also added a floor inside the building using the Sarissa stencils.

This series of pictures is showing the method used to create the tiling on the taberna floor. It is rather simple and the mixture I used was a woodfiller mixed as a bit of PVA to give it a little flexibility and strength. I masked off the area I wanted to be filled with the floor as there was a pavement to be added and you did not want it to go under the walls either, so left a gap there. I simply spread the woodfiller/PVA mixture, rather like spreading butter, ensuring the stencil is held down tightly, I actually use a cake palette knife, no hobby tax there, for this. Once spread I careful lift the stencil up and leave it to dry.

I did the same process for the cobbles/paving stones outside and then painted it to match my bases for my gangers for Gangs of Rome.

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2023, 09:57:17 AM »
Nice. :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2023, 10:43:00 AM »
Great project, and I really like the pavement idea.

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2023, 11:32:13 PM »

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2023, 11:33:22 PM »
Great project, and I really like the pavement idea.

Thanks and its the Sarissa Stencils that did all the heavy lifting for me

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2023, 08:08:08 AM »
Quick Update on the Progress of Rome So Far

I am nearly the final stages of the first phase of my Gangs of Rome Project as I have complexed most of the buildings, just a Temple and two houses under construction to complete and a Aqueduct under construction to do. I am loving these Streets of Rome buildings from Sarissa Precisions as they are really helping in bring the city to life.

I know that some people say that the buildings can look a little flat, but remember that these are gaming pieces and you can add to the surfaces using texture and stencils, I think of them as starting blocks for you to bring to life. Personally I don't have a problem with the flatness as it is the game that's important.

This is the first time I have seen all my buildings together and playing about with the board layout as is needs to be open enough for the game and especially the mobs to play in while still giving that feeling of Rome. What I like under the new version of Gangs of Rome is the fact that the playing table should be more open, you don't need all your toys on the one table, and also the game doesn't has to set in a urban environment, in fact the game is as happy do on Hostus Pompilius Torquatus' rural villa or Cossus Atrius Galarius' farm as much of Ratae's Forum to the streets of the Avertine.

I am pleased, very much so, with the look and feel of the table so far and cannot wait to see it full assembled, with mobs and gangs running through the streets, demoing it for the general public.

What do you think?