Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:32:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690700
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 1011
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Pattus Magnus’s Sci-fi Adventures: Battlesuit Alpha  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Pattus Magnus’s Sci-fi Adventures: Battlesuit Alpha
« on: May 24, 2023, 11:44:00 PM »
I have drifted recently back into sci-fi fi gaming, so I’l use this thread to document some figures and games.

First up, pics from two games of Battlesuit Alpha.

The first game was an encounter between two patrols with four mechs each.  Mine were mostly mediums, with one light, while my opponent took mostly light, backed up by a single heavy mech. The battlefield was a mix of urban areas and woods along a highway through a valley.

My patrol defeated their opponents, who left behind two pilots. In the second game my mechs were defending the area while my opponent launched a raid to try and rescue the stranded pilots. It didn’t go well for him and he ended up leaving even more abandoned mechs behind!

Overall, we made a few mistakes with the rules, but not many for a first try using them. We both had a great time and are scheming about having another game or two in July!
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 03:11:27 AM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline johnl5555

• Librarian
    • Wargamer Printing
Re: Pattus Magnus’s Sci-fi Adventures: Battlesuit Alpha
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 12:13:05 PM »
  What a great looking game! I ran Battlesuit Alpha a few months ago with a medium sized game in a devestated city. Love the rules and we had a good time.

Thanks

John
Owner JS Wargamer Printing. 3D printing miniatures, buildings and terrain.
https://wargamerprinting.com/

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 03:57:28 PM »
Thanks! Battlesuit Alpha has recharged my enthusiasm for 6mm sci-fi. I had a lot of the buildings and mechs in the photos for over 10 years, sitting primed and unpainted - the game got me working on them again.

The game itself is a lot of fun. We still have a lot to learn about using the special abilities on some cards effectively (ex. My opponent ran a Warhammer mech which has main guns that need to reload between shots, and he forgot about the free reload action on some cards a few times…). The cool thing is that there are ways to use any hand effectively - just need to be tactically flexible as the situation unfolds.

Mech design is interesting, too. Lots of options in the toolbox!

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 03:49:17 PM »
Looks very nice.  What are your roads made from?
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023, 12:57:26 AM »
The roads are paper, mounted on craft foam sheets (black under the streets and tan under the highway and rural roads). I had to modify the original images a little bit for the street sections to get the lengths I wanted. I found that tacky glue worked best if it was put down in dots, rather than a layer (the pieces curled up if I used a layer).

The sidewalks are not attached to the streets- they’re part of the ‘blocks’ the buildings sit on. The blocks are 3mm hardboard.

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2023, 04:17:28 PM »
Nice table set up! I internally wince whenever I play with my paperprint and '3D' terrain side by side, but they work really well together here

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 03:04:54 AM »
Doodler, I know what you mean about paper terrain next to 3D models. I originally planned to scratch build the roads (and I still might someday), but I hard a hard deadline for getting the terrain done for the game and the roads were the easiest compromise. It turned out that with them mounted on the foam, they looked good enough.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2023, 04:41:22 PM »
Thank you for the report.  The map looks great.