Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:21:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: SYW Battle of Wilhelmsthal 1762  (Read 1959 times)

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
Re: SYW Battle of Wilhelmsthal 1762
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2023, 05:22:14 PM »
Love to see your beautiful collection in action!  Your compatriots are lucky to get to play in your games.  Look forward to more when you post up the next great game.

Thank you! I'm really glad to know that you enjoyed the game so much! I promise to post more soon! Cheers!
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates. – Mark Twain, Life on the Mississippi

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2023, 06:53:34 PM »
There was a critical moment, when a Swiss regiment detached from Soubise was striving to come and help the right flank of Stainville who was being pressed hard. This regiment was enfiladed by the Allied cavalry who made a double move and, worse than that, diced to turn and face and failed.

For this particular instant, many factors were involved:
1. This Swiss regiment (Diesbach), belonging to the middle French line (Soubise) was ordered march to help Stainville's right flank and bar the way to the 1st Column of the allied cavalry.
They brought 1 for two rounds and were delayed to place themselves level with Stainville.
2. The Allied cavalry brought a 6 and was allowed to make a double move, covering a great distance, falling unexpectedly at the flank of Diesbach.
3. Diesbach, not having enemies frontally, according to the rules, could turn to face, bringing 4, 5 or 6. They brought 2.  :'( 

It was really a bad moment for me, as the French player in this game and in a critical phase.
The easy demise of the Swiss opened the road to the Allies for turning Stainville's right flank.
Later, they had free cavalry to send and fall at the rear of Soubise's cavalry fighting near Wilhelmsthal.

Two pics say it all: Please, note the line where the two tables join. The Swiss unit is standing astride.
They did not manage to move, while the Allied Cavalry was behind Grebenstain (1st pic), until they appeared at their flank (2nd pic)

« Last Edit: May 26, 2023, 06:55:16 PM by DintheDin »

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2023, 07:12:30 PM »
DintheDin, how do you find "Honours of War" as a ruleset?I plan to re-start gaming SYW in 15mm after a gap of 25 years, and am looking for a set of rules to replace my venerable 1st edition Koenigs Krieg. Welcome your views on the Osprey set or any others out there.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2023, 08:44:45 PM »
DintheDin, how do you find "Honours of War" as a ruleset?I plan to re-start gaming SYW in 15mm after a gap of 25 years, and am looking for a set of rules to replace my venerable 1st edition Koenigs Krieg. Welcome your views on the Osprey set or any others out there.

Hi!
I haven't played with Koenigs Krieg, so honestly I cannot make a comparison.
What I know is that for more than five years now I am stuck with these rules and we have played dozens and dozens of games from little skirmishes to big battles and the game ran smoothly and -most of all- you could get a result in reasonable time. The rules are so easy to learn that after a few games you need only the 2-page QRS to play.

Here is a nice review of the rules
https://dalauppror.blogspot.com/2015/11/honours-of-war-review.html

If you wish, you may visit the Honours of War forum
https://honoursofwar.com/
Where you can find many scenarios and battle narrations and get an answer if you need any explanations or clarifications.

I strongly suggest that you give these rules a go.

Offline Gunner who?

• Bookworm
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2023, 03:30:58 AM »
Another of your entertaining AARs Din, very intersting. Nice to let those poor Swiss have a say too - they should have expected the Scotsmen not to follow German rules of traffic though...  lol

Cheers Fedja

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2023, 04:32:41 AM »
DintheDin, many thanks.  Actually have the rules, but have never used them.  To be honest I'm not a big fan of Osprey's offerings but these may be the exception. I've joined the Forum so will spend a few happy hours this Bank Holiday weekend checking it all out. I recently refurbished my 30 year old Freikorps Prussian army with new flags and some extra figures, I still have my French to so. Some of my local gaming mates have Austrians and Russians so maybe I can persuade them to dust their armies off too!   

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2023, 01:00:16 PM »
Another of your entertaining AARs Din, very intersting. Nice to let those poor Swiss have a say too - they should have expected the Scotsmen not to follow German rules of traffic though...  lol

Cheers Fedja

Hi Fedja!
It is a great joy to see you commenting here! Thank you!
I know your love for SYW as you live in an area that has seen some important battles of the period.
Enviable!

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2023, 01:01:28 PM »
DintheDin, many thanks.  Actually have the rules, but have never used them.  To be honest I'm not a big fan of Osprey's offerings but these may be the exception. I've joined the Forum so will spend a few happy hours this Bank Holiday weekend checking it all out. I recently refurbished my 30 year old Freikorps Prussian army with new flags and some extra figures, I still have my French to so. Some of my local gaming mates have Austrians and Russians so maybe I can persuade them to dust their armies off too!

Hi, This is great news! Eagerly waiting for your comments! Cheers!

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2023, 05:51:28 PM »
Exceptional post - thank you.

Offline DintheDin

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2023, 10:09:03 PM »
Exceptional post - thank you.