Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:42:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686583
  • Total Topics: 118108
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: VSF steampunk robots or walkers  (Read 2510 times)

Offline TheABG

• Student
VSF steampunk robots or walkers
« on: May 25, 2023, 08:39:18 AM »
Hi all, I've quite enjoyed Gamma Wolves a fighting robot post-apocolyptic game and thought I'd very much like to play it with VSF style walkers or pseudo-mecha, by swapping 'reactors' for steam power.

Does anyone know of any good models or STLs they could duggest?

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
Re: VSF steampunk robots or walkers
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2023, 04:59:53 PM »
Off the top of my head, I think Warmachine Jacks might work for you.

On the cheap-and-cheerful side, maybe have a look for Mage Knight Steam Golems?

I think most of the above already have little smoke stacks.

Doug

PS I just remembered there is a little, I think 'clockwork', Mage Knight beastie. Actually, several steampunk nightmares in the sets.

Be prepared for soft vinyl droop.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2023, 05:03:36 PM by The_Beast »

Offline frd

• Bookworm
  • 15mm of madness
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2023, 06:18:31 PM »
You might want to look into Iron Harvest/Scythe/Jakub Rozalski's art inspired mecha. They are technically early XX century, but should fit decently well into a later part of victorian aesthetic (more steam/diesel than clockwork).

Here's some 15mm scale mecha I had 3d printed in the past. Those are from VidovicArts

Outside of Vidovic, there's handful of creators making mecha inspired by Rozalski's designs (those are links to printable models on cults3d): Janovich, scoutsifer, ScrapFoundry has one, as does MCGuild.

Beyond that, if you search for "Iron Harvest" or "Scythe" (both are games based on Rozalski's designs, video and board respectively) around you might be able to find more out there.

Now I'm also tempted to make some myself. I was working on a fdm printable version of this Saxony walking tank (I really wish there was clear formatting showing if something is a link on here, because that Saxony tank is also a link underlined all links as per zemjw's advice) before but got sidetracked with other projects. I'm attaching a WIP below.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2023, 02:04:05 AM by frd »

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2023, 07:37:47 PM »
I can't help with the mechs, although I'm sure I saw something the other day that I thought was too steampunk for me. If my aging memory drags it back up, I shall let you know.

However, the links...

What I do is enclose the url links with underline, so LAF becomes
Code: [Select]
[u][url=https://leadadventureforum.com/]LAF[/url][/u]
It's not ideal, but the lack of link underlining is a long time issue with the site, and is unlikely to be fixed any time soon :(

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2023, 11:02:23 PM »
Ironclad have a big four legged walker and classic tripod looking machine.

https://www.ironcladminiatures.co.uk/ourshop/cat_302101-Steam-Tanks.html

They also have some nice VSF tanks and lots of great figures.

Offline frd

• Bookworm
  • 15mm of madness
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2023, 02:01:06 AM »
Thanks zemjw. Didn't know it was an known issue, but your workaround is solid -  will be using the underline for links from now on.

...and with that, I remembered two STL creators on Wargame Vault that might have something that might work for you ABG:

Voxelhouse has some steampunk-ish mecha in their Landship and Hot War lines, although the latter is much more dieselpunk and both are for pretty small scale (6mm).

Fat Dragon games has a steam tripod/walker in their World War Tesla line

Offline shadowbeast

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2023, 11:28:58 AM »
Reaper Miniatures have a couple of iron golem on the books, plus a clockwork dragon; the Nolzur's Marvellous Miniatures line for D&D has the Warforged Titan; and Scotiagrendel has the old Leviathan war golems on the books.

As for STLs, there are Duncan Shadow's Golem; Miniforge's Mechanical Golem; Titan Forge's Infernal Golem of Kashan Vra; Magnus'Iron Golem Mech by Comet Lord Miniatures; Liem PreFonaine's Warcast Juggernaut; Darkheims Clockwork Mariner, Clockwork Behemoth, and in fact this whole folder here: https://www.myminifactory.com/users/Darkheim/collection/clockworks
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2023, 01:06:49 AM »
Thanks zemjw. Didn't know it was an known issue, but your workaround is solid -  will be using the underline for links from now on.

Sorry if I'm filching the thread, ABG old bean, but I'm a bit confused by this exchange.

Isn't this done by the 'Insert Hyperlink' button on the edit page? The one that has the globe and page? Under the Italicize button?

I regularly use that, with the colour button to make identifiable links with my own text. Not sure about using it with images, mind  you.

Doug

PS Or, are you saying the editor automatically detecting a URL and making a link? I HATE that. I've had stuff that only looked like a URL that gets translated. But, I AM a curmudgeon.

PPS I remembered the little clockwork Mage Knight. Whirling Golem.

Offline frd

• Bookworm
  • 15mm of madness
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2023, 02:17:43 AM »
Quote from: The_Beast
Sorry if I'm filching the thread, ABG old bean, but I'm a bit confused by this exchange.

Isn't this done by the 'Insert Hyperlink' button on the edit page? The one that has the globe and page? Under the Italicize button?

Yep, I'm using the same button as well. The exchange was not about how to insert a link, but about making the links easily distinguishable, as without using the extra underline, or different color they just use like normal text. Which is far from perfect.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2023, 04:38:49 PM »
Thanks!

Again to get back to topic at hand, I'll also point out Cubix Kolossal figures. He has what appears to be a Stahlhelm helmet, a proper Prussian, perhaps.

I had a couple of the twelve inch 'programmable' beasts for a central European secret wars project, but they are going for stupid money now,.

Doug

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2023, 07:42:20 PM »
Crooked Dice have a big robot:

https://crooked-dice.co.uk/product/giant-robot/
It has a cyclops eye and a a central reactor window.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 07:48:09 PM by Ultravanillasmurf »

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2023, 06:30:35 AM »
No seems to have mentioned Ramshackle Games yet. I have used several of their robots as small VSF walkers. They are muliti part and Curtis always throws in lots of spares so you can customise each one.
https://shop.ramshacklegames.co.uk/28-Robots