Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:04:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689655
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Increasing my Late Roman Cavalry: Victrix Xmas Cataphracts (last posts)  (Read 4210 times)

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
I've 8 units (12 riders each) of Late Roman Cavalry. Wanted at least 12 units so I have been waiting ages for Victrix to launch their sets. Bought 2 packs of their Armoured Cavalry and also got two spare sprues just to practice on. Finally got around to speed painting a few yesterday. Think they turned out ok for a practice run but hope to do a bit better on later batches.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 04:51:24 PM by WorkShy »

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
Re: Increasing my Late Roman Cavalry force with the new Victrix set
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2023, 11:53:52 AM »
Also tried to kitbash some into armoured archers (ok Bucellarii if you want). The poses don't make that easy but I'm ok with the results and in a unit of 12 they should be fine. 

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2023, 12:32:40 PM »
They look grand  :)

I like how the kitbashing turned out  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2023, 01:34:31 PM »
Lovely work Workshy  :-* :-* :-*

The Victrix Late Roman range has got me all hot and bothered under the collar too, which is no bad thing  8)

At the risk of being a rivet counter, "Bucellarii" refers to the type of food (literally, "hard tack"/"biscuit eaters") the troops who acted as the Warlord/General's own personal bodyguard. The phrase wasn't really a descriptor of a specific troop type and the weapons they utilised, though many were undoubtedly proficient with the bow.

The various Bucellarii/Boukelarioi were to become more and more common as the Western Empire began to decline militarily and on into the rise of the Eastern Empire and the early Byzantine Era.

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2023, 04:04:12 PM »
At the risk of being a rivet counter, "Bucellarii" refers to the type of food (literally, "hard tack"/"biscuit eaters") the troops who acted as the Warlord/General's own personal bodyguard. The phrase wasn't really a descriptor of a specific troop type and the weapons they utilised, though many were undoubtedly proficient with the bow
I'm mentioned it because a few comments on the Victrix facebook page were discussing using them as Bucellarii. There was some debate about whether they could be easily kitbashed into horse archers. The consensus was yes but with some compromises given the limited range of poses. Agree with that.

Sizewise they fit pretty well with the Footsore and Aventine Early Byzantine Horse Archers. In the picture we have Victrix, Aventine, Footsore and Fireforge (later Byzantine but with Victrix head). The style though is somewhat different so I think I will keep them in separate units by manufacturer.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2023, 05:51:36 PM »
The units, conversation, and painting are great. Well done.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2023, 09:33:04 AM »
You make me wanna buy these.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2023, 10:45:11 AM »
I'm mentioned it because a few comments on the Victrix facebook page were discussing using them as Bucellarii. There was some debate about whether they could be easily kitbashed into horse archers. The consensus was yes but with some compromises given the limited range of poses. Agree with that.

Sizewise they fit pretty well with the Footsore and Aventine Early Byzantine Horse Archers. In the picture we have Victrix, Aventine, Footsore and Fireforge (later Byzantine but with Victrix head). The style though is somewhat different so I think I will keep them in separate units by manufacturer.

Out of the four manufacturers you have in the images the Aventine Miniatures are by far the most accurate historically, not to mention the quality of the metal, the sculpts and the casting.

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2023, 11:17:25 AM »
Out of the four manufacturers you have in the images the Aventine Miniatures are by far the most accurate historically, not to mention the quality of the metal, the sculpts and the casting.
For early Byzantine I'd agree. Aventine is my favourite metals mini manufacturer. You can use some of them for say late 5th century (file off those stirrups though) but others just look too late. What Victrix offers though is more variation. In a unit of 12 cavalry, I can easily get 12 unique riders. While with my equivalent Aventine unit I'm repeating most minis twice.

The Victrix set is excellent but one thing that annoys me is that they are claimed to be 4th to 6th century but only offer a four horned saddle which is really more 4th century. I really think Victrix needs to offer a steppe saddle to claim they are useful for 6th century. It's not hard to modify but, unlike their infantry sets, there was plenty of room on the sprues for that option.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2023, 12:49:34 PM »
For early Byzantine I'd agree. Aventine is my favourite metals mini manufacturer. You can use some of them for say late 5th century (file off those stirrups though) but others just look too late. What Victrix offers though is more variation. In a unit of 12 cavalry, I can easily get 12 unique riders. While with my equivalent Aventine unit I'm repeating most minis twice.

They are a dream range of miniatures for me, so much so that I have a 32 page thread beginning here on this forum!:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=126483.0

The Victrix set is excellent but one thing that annoys me is that they are claimed to be 4th to 6th century but only offer a four horned saddle which is really more 4th century. I really think Victrix needs to offer a steppe saddle to claim they are useful for 6th century. It's not hard to modify but, unlike their infantry sets, there was plenty of room on the sprues for that option.

Agreed, the Victrix range is much more 4th CE thus far. I've seen some pics of the Cataphract set and hopefully they will be extendable. Only time will tell.

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2023, 11:23:39 AM »
Finally got around to finishing the 12 armoured horse archers (half term slowed me down). Decided to go with 4 using bows, 4 carrying spears and 4 command. Pretty happy with the results but took longer than ideal. Normally I can speedpaint 4 riders+horses in 2 hours but I've found myself struggling on these. All the detail on the horse tack, the quivers, the bow cases etc.

Offline Advario

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2023, 07:13:56 AM »
They are looking stunning!!! Especially the commander is well done with all the details added to him. From which manufacturer is he?

I like the Bucellarii a lot as well. I thought about doing such a conversion as well, since I am used to do such things with my Perry Miniatures WotR range, but I found the Victrix models to be a bit too dynamic for my limited modelling skills. I hope that Victrixs mounted Archers will be released soon and I can use them :D

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2023, 11:03:45 AM »
They are looking stunning!!! Especially the commander is well done with all the details added to him. From which manufacturer is he?

I like the Bucellarii a lot as well. I thought about doing such a conversion as well, since I am used to do such things with my Perry Miniatures WotR range, but I found the Victrix models to be a bit too dynamic for my limited modelling skills. I hope that Victrixs mounted Archers will be released soon and I can use them :D
The commander is all Victrix. I'm using a horse from an Early Imperial Roman Mounted General sprue (they are very similar to Late Roman ones), Body and head is Late Roman Armoured Cavalry. Crest is off Late Roman Unarmoured Infantry sprue.

Offline Advario

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2023, 09:08:22 PM »
The commander is all Victrix. I'm using a horse from an Early Imperial Roman Mounted General sprue.

Oh really? Maybe I have to take a look at those horses ... Horses are in my opinion one of the weak spots of Victrix. Their sculpts look really nice and dynamic, but the variety is rather small with 3 possible options. The Perry Miniatures horses had a bit more variety

Offline WorkShy

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2023, 10:04:35 PM »
Oh really? Maybe I have to take a look at those horses ... Horses are in my opinion one of the weak spots of Victrix. Their sculpts look really nice and dynamic, but the variety is rather small with 3 possible options. The Perry Miniatures horses had a bit more variety
The Late Cav sprue has 4 horse options. Add in 3 from the EIR Generals sprue and you could have 7 options. But to be fair some of those 7 look pretty similar.

I do think the horses are the weak link. The 4 horn saddle is the same as on the Early Imperial ones but I'd much prefer a steppe saddle since it's more appropriate for the later part of the period. They have very ornate tack which seems possibly unnecessary for more rank and file troops. Plus taking longer to paint which is a big consideration for larger units. 

I've got another set of 12 to do and I think I might get hold of a few Perry horses and see if they can be made to work.