Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:41:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 8
Guests: 794
Total: 802

Recent

Author Topic: Fred's 15mm Workshop - Devils Reef Light - an offshore lighthouse for Innsmouth  (Read 3572 times)

Offline frd

• Bookworm
  • 15mm of madness
Re: Fred's 15mm Workshop - interwar town house
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2023, 01:28:32 PM »
Thanks Gunbird. You're right, it's just not as practical with my other builds. If you put a mini next to the bigger structure it still looks in scale (probably even more so than the small one). It just really stands out in context. I guess I never really considered that wargaming terrain is seldom true scale (and from a quick research it seems it's same for railroad model buildings), so I'll just keep it in mind in the future.

Anyway, I managed to print the roof yesterday (and magnetized it, so it's easily removable), will get to printing the details today and hopefully I can start painting on Friday.

Also, really enjoying your blog Gunbird (it's now added to my blog/rss reader). It makes me want to make some shacks :D

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2023, 04:16:20 PM »
I love the buildings; but the boat is definitely my favourite. Nice paint job too 8)

Offline Jorenm

• Assistant
Re: Fred's 15mm Workshop
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2023, 06:59:58 PM »
Thanks Jorenm! Happy to share the stls - attached below.

If you end up making one, do share - I would love to see your take on it!

Thanks! The hull is missing though. (hull.stl is another wheelhouse) :(

Offline frd

• Bookworm
  • 15mm of madness
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2023, 11:42:43 PM »
I love the buildings; but the boat is definitely my favourite. Nice paint job too 8)
Thanks Vanvlak!

Thanks! The hull is missing though. (hull.stl is another wheelhouse) :(
...and sorry Jorenm. Must have overwritten a file by accident. Exported the hull once again and attaching the correct pack below.

Offline frd

• Bookworm
  • 15mm of madness
Fred's 15mm Workshop - Innsmouth Offshore Lighthouse
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2024, 04:36:12 AM »
Well, this was a long while since I posted on here. A lot of "real life" got in the way, which culminated with me moving mid December. Now that I'm more or less settled, I want to get back to making stuff before I have to move again in May.

I will post the update on the interwar house when I get back to it in the near future, but I'm not updating the topic just to let people know that I was busy ;) Before the move I started on another project - this time it's something for the US side of things that will go with my pulp/cthulhu stuff. Now I want to finish the...

Innsmouth Offshore Lighthouse!

Off course the original story doesn't mention anything about Innsmouth having an offshore lighthouse, but after I have learned about "sparkplug" style lightouses (and especially the Orient Point Light) I really wanted to make a model of one. The fact that it gives me another place beyond just the (planned, but not started yet) Devils Reef for my Deep Ones to ramble around and that it will go with my (yet to be finished) tramp steamer was really just a bonus ;)

I found some period (1890s I think) plans of this type of lighthouse and created a 3d model from it. I took some creative liberties to make it more usable for wargaming (e.g all the decks are considerably wider to allow for mini bases), but still tried to keep it pretty close to the original drawing.

My next step is to design and 3d print the railings, then I can add the detail bits (doors, windows, etc.), small rocky base (like in the original Orient Point) and will call it done. I originally planned to add an LED up top to make it look like there's a rotating light up top (making it slowly "breathe" on and off with a microcontroller) , but to do it right would cost me a bit more than what I can spend right now (I'm on a budget until I move again), so I think instead I will 3d print a Fresnel lens shape, paint it silver and call it a day.

Anyway, here's couple progress steps I took along the way (mainly of the painting process):
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 05:29:57 AM by frd »

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Beautiful work, that turned out really well!

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
Lovely modeling and weathering - the rust is great

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
Outstanding modelling and painting.

Online marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Very nice. I particularly like your weathering.
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
I like that  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
lovely modelling and painting.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
A great piece.  Well done on the weathering.  Using Oils?

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
Great work!
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline frd

• Bookworm
  • 15mm of madness
Thanks all for the kind words! It really means a lot, especially after tiring day like today - it gives me the motivation to work more on the project. So tonight I will finally sit down and design the railings so I can 3d print them tomorrow.

@LouieN: It's mainly acrylics. The only oil-based stuff is water stains on the bottom part of the lighthouse. I got an AK slime and grime set as a gift a while ago and thought it would be good place to give it a try. I did touch it up with some gloss afterwards to give it a bit more wet look tho.

The rest is done with layering acrylics (including the salt method for chipping on the bottom part that got out of hand and left almost none of the black :P) and watercolor pencils. Drawing rust on and streaking it with brush dipped in some water worked really well for me - to the point that I'm considering getting some more of them so I have a bigger color selection.