Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:45:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for 28mm Caribbean Buildings circa 1700 - any Suggestions?  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Rossco2

• Schoolboy
I've started playing Blood and Plunder using 28mm pirates. Now I feel the need to have some colonial buildings that are suited to the late 1600s and early 1700s Caribbean. Think Governor's residence, a church, guard tower, small fort, some shops, houses for the different strata of society, and so on. Enough to make a credible town for a pirates and/or European colonials good sized battle.
I know 4Ground used to make a suitable range, but even the second hand market is not helping me there. Brigade Games has some models, but I am sadly budget constrained. Wargames Vault has some paper models: they are my back up plan.
Please help me out with suggestions for suitable buildings!

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: Looking for 28mm Caribbean Buildings circa 1700 - any Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2023, 05:53:17 PM »
Where are you?
If UK based I could make them for you.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2023, 06:04:40 PM »
I was going to suggest Miniature Building Authority (MBA) but they will probably not be in your budget. Their buildings are great!!

Have you thought about getting some foamcore and make your own? I made a ton of buildings using foamcore, textured spray paint on the walls, and for the roof I used matte board and a piece of clear plastic carpet runner that looked like tiled roofing once painted the reddish-brown colour (beware, you do have to cut off the knobs on the underside of the plastic runner so they glue flat on the matte board). They are light, transport easily and can also be used for Spanish Peninsular war as well. Just a thought.

BTW, I use both homemade and MBA buildings with my Blood and Plunder games.
Regards
Hitman
😎
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Rossco2

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2023, 06:50:11 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion of Miniature Building Authority! Some good stuff there, but not what I'm currently after. I've bookmarked the site for consideration with future projects.

I'm in Australia, so postage plus tax is a significant add-on cost when buying in wargames goodies. The current exchange rate for the Aussie dollar does not help either.

Blood and Plunder looks to be an occasional game for me. If it was my main game played most weeks I would go for the nice Brigade Games wares. In terms of project budget, I'd go as high as around 250 to 300 US dollars including postage and tax.

On further thought, I am hoping someone can do the buildings as mdf kits, or one of the 3D printer companies can turn out suitable buildings I can paint. The 4Ground kits raised my expectations and I am looking to see if anyone is stepping in to fill the void. No harm in asking the collective wargaming hive mind!

Offline Warboss Nick

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2023, 09:54:32 PM »
You might find some ideas here: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=130988.0  The buildings are not specific to the early 19th century and should work well for pirate games. I use Sarissa (Rome and South of the border), Freebooters Fate )City of Longfall), DIYs and some resins from Magister Militum.

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2023, 10:02:53 PM »
Look on ETSY..com I have purchased a whole (3d printed) pirate-era town from ETSY.  Search on that site for these buildings below (and many more).  They also have ships, cargo, etc.  Some offer painted buildings (for higher costs) but I have only ordered unpainted ones.  I have also purchased the Villa series of buildings from Crescent Root Studios (painted). https://www.crescent-root.com/  They used to offer docks and piers as well as buildings in the Villa series, but unfortunately no longer offer those.

On ETSY the buildings and stuff can all be ordered in various scales and resin colors from several printers so you can shop price and shipping costs.  Be prepared to wait a month or more for delivery.  These companies operate by queuing incoming orders and then printing them as they go for shipment  Possible pitfalls I have found are missing parts (doors, ladders, shutters stairways - there is interior detail in most), slow shipment, sluggish response from a few printers/dealers.  Most dealers are good partners.  I have had ordering experience with ETSY for this and other wargaming period buildings, figures, ships, terrain and stuff since May 7, 2021.

I have gravitated to ordering a large amount of items from Dungeon Artifacts https://www.etsy.com/shop/DungeonArtifacts?ref=yr_purchase for most all of my purchases/orders for some time now based upon their availability of items and prices.  Some items (a few) are only available from other printer/dealers, but Dungeon Artifacts has been good and responsive to my needs and requests (extra pieces, partial sets, replacement parts).  Sorry, but I did not provide the url for all of these but they are easy to search for.

Best of luck!

Caribbean Church by Printable Scenery - ruin https://www.etsy.com/listing/1255636112/caribbean-church-by-printable-scenery-3d?ref=yr_purchases - highly recommended.
City of Corsairs Dockside Crane by Dark Realms
Dark Realms Buccaneers Bay Warehouse and many other buildings, houses (3 types), taverns (3 types), etc. - highly recommended.
Dark Realms Tortuga Spanish Quarter series of eight town buildings and large church - highly recommended.
The Lost Islands - The Lighthouse - highly recommended.
Caribbean House - https://www.etsy.com/listing/898038255/caribbean-house-time-warp-wargaming?ref=yr_purchases - highly recommended.
The Lost Islands - Cargo Piles
 The Lost Islands Warehouse  https://www.etsy.com/listing/700654167/the-lost-islands-the-warehouse-15mm-28mm?ref=yr_purchases - highly recommended.
The Lost Islands - Port Tavern, also several other buildings in this series. - highly recommended.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2023, 10:48:11 PM »
Australia?

You could start with OTP terrain. They produce a range called Tortuga Spaish quarter specifically for Pirate type games.

https://www.otpterrain.com/collections/tortuga-spanish-quarter

They also produced a largish fortified 'Caribbean' house and a tavern type structure but I can't find them on their website atm. They may still produce them if you ask.

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Rossco2

• Schoolboy
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2023, 04:39:46 AM »
Some excellent suggestions! Many thanks for your help everyone!

I missed the OTP Terrain range. The Tortuga buildings are listed in their Fantasy section, but I only searched their Historical ranges.