Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:16:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686652
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Study: Man-eating lions consumed 35 people...  (Read 3610 times)

Offline Stecal

• Scientist
    • Pictures of my minis
Study: Man-eating lions consumed 35 people...
« on: November 03, 2009, 01:12:51 PM »
... in 1898

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20091102/D9BNM3CO0.html

"The nightly attacks by two man-eating lions terrified railway workers and brought construction to a halt in one of east Africa's most notorious onslaughts more than a hundred years ago. But the death toll, scientists now say, wasn't as high as previously thought.

Over nine months the two voracious hunters claimed 35 lives - no small figure, but much less than some accounts of as many as 135 victims.

It was 1898, when laborers from India and local natives building the Uganda Railroad across Kenya became the prey for the pair, a case that has been the subject of numerous accounts and at least three movies.

They noted that estimates of the death toll reported at the time ranged from 28 reported by the Ugandan Railway Company, to 135, claimed by Lt. Col. John H. Patterson, a British officer who killed the lions in December, 1898"

There is a wargame in there.

Clear the battlefield and let me see
All the profit from our victory.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Study: Man-eating lions consumed 35 people...
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 01:19:31 PM »
There is a wargame in there.

Indeed there is. The man-eaters of Tsavo are old friends of the LAF, Grimm and others have done projects inspired by them. A bit of rooting around in the archives of Colonial Adventures and you'll find some pics, I fancy. Personally I've been fascinated by them ever since childhood, when I was given a book of true-life adventure stories which included them, complete with heroic illustrations of clean-cut Britons with inspiring moustaches taking the beggars on. Thanks for posting the article.  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 01:25:12 PM »
I think the film 'The Ghost and the Darkness' was 'based on [this] true story'. It was a bit shit, as I recall, as they got a lot of things wrong and Val Kilmer overdid his British accent something awful.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 01:27:12 PM by Hammers »

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 01:30:54 PM »
Indeed. I could never get around Michael Douglas' appearance in that picture. He looked far too shabby and unkempt, as my view of what he should look like had been imprinted by my childhood reading many years earlier. The chaps in that book always had brylcreemed hair and perfectly-trimmed and waxed moustaches. Never a hair out of place, even while being savaged by a lion.

By contrast he looked like some kind of a hobo crossed with a cowboy. Put me off the film entirely.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 01:33:51 PM by Plynkes »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 01:33:32 PM »
Indeed. I could never get around Michael Douglas' appearance in that picture. He looked far too shabby and unkempt, as my view of what he should look like had been imprinted by my childhood reading many years earlier. The chaps in that book always had brylcreemed hair and perfectly-trimmed moustaches. Never a hair out of place, even while being savaged by a lion.

By contrast he looked like some kind of a hobo crossed with a cowboy. Put me off the film entirely.

That cave full of skulls and femurs was dramatic but ridiculous. Indiana Jones can get away that but it was not that kind of film.

Offline Cory

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 04:42:23 PM »
I have read that the cave in question had been a burial site that the lions had occupied after it had been looted and the bones strewn about by the looters. The bones supposedly accounted for part of the high estimate.

former user

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 08:18:29 PM »
interestin enough, we have this game upcoming in our club

I'll post pictures

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 02:44:57 AM »
This is rather debunking of the image and story that I have of the Tsavo Lions.

Offline Dr X

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2009, 08:23:26 AM »
Consuming 35 people seems a stretch. Sure when I was younger, but now I can barely finish three. Oh wait... what...   ;)

Offline P_Clapham

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 03:25:41 PM »
Consuming 35 people seems a stretch. Sure when I was younger, but now I can barely finish three. Oh wait... what...   ;)

I hear you on that.  It occurs to me this may be a "bones and all scenario*".

*bones being well known as high in fiber.
"When in doubt, have a man come through a door with a gun in his hand.— Raymond Chandler

Offline Gallowglass

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2009, 03:14:15 PM »
I think the film 'The Ghost and the Darkness' was 'based on [this] true story'. It was a bit shit, as I recall, as they got a lot of things wrong and Val Kilmer overdid his British accent something awful.

Considering that Patterson (the character played by Kilmer) was Irish (or Anglo-Irish, if you prefer), I agree. He was born in what is now County Longford.

As a "historical document" the film is pretty much complete pants. As something entertaining that might inspire one to paint up some lions and a few lads with guns, it worked.
Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.