Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:46:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rules Recommendation for late c17th War of the League of Augsburg?  (Read 889 times)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Good Morning everyone. I'm posting this query here as well as the earlier board as my question is on the cusp between them time-wise.  I've recently begun to dabble in matters late 17th century and later in the month am visiting Sedgemoor and the sites associated with the Monmouth Rebellion. The more I read about it the more I'm attracted to the late 17th century as a gaming period.  I am thinking of using the Baccus 10mm figures but was wondering what rules would work both for the period and in particular that scale of figure. I see lots of rules that claim to be scale agnostic but when you read them really am not! Thanks for any suggestions.

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
Baccus now makes 10mm?
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Apologies, I meant Pendraken for 10mm!

Offline frank xerox

• Scientist
Beats me! But the pendraken forum is usually pretty helpful.
There’s one of the “Twilight “ series for this period though - Twilight of Divine Right ? I’ve used their SYW version in 10mm quite happily

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
The Pendraken LoA figures are splendid.

I’m thinking of using For King and Parliament for this period - mainly as we enjoy them so much for ECW. There has been talk of a version of FKaP for this era, but that has been the state of play for a while now.

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
I would think Beneath the Lily Banners, designed for the period

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Chaps, I've heard of Barry Hilton's "Beneath the Lily Banners" but they seem out of print. His League of Augsburg Website seems to stop in 2019 and no-one seems to have it in stock.  I prefer hard-copy to PdF.  I think the "Twilight" game is "Twilight of the Sun King", with "Divine Right" being for ECW. At only £12 id might be worth a punt. I see their is a series of explanatory U-Tube videos so I might look at them tomorrow.

Thanks.

Offline wkeyser

• Scientist
Take a look at  Captain General by the Pike and shot society. 

Offline Hwiccee

• Bookworm
We use the Twilight of the Sun King rules and scenario books for this war. The Twilight of Divine Right set also does the period just before this.

The rules are aimed at doing large battles with reasonable resources. So not so good for Sedgemoor but great for the larger battles.

Some information here -  https://www.wyrehistoricbooks.co.uk/home
« Last Edit: June 04, 2023, 08:13:03 AM by Hwiccee »

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Hwiccee, thanks. I realise that Sedgemoor might be on the small side for Twilight of the Sun King so might use my ECW For King and Parliament for Sedgemoor. I'm currently watching the explanatory U-Tube videos about "Twilight" and at only £12 may give them a go.

Regards.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Rules Recommendation for late c17th War of the League of Augsburg?
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2023, 02:56:32 PM »
Chaps, I've heard of Barry Hilton's "Beneath the Lily Banners" but they seem out of print. His League of Augsburg Website seems to stop in 2019 and no-one seems to have it in stock. 
BtLB was updated with the new books "War of the 3 Kingdoms" (mostly William III vs James II) and "Talon and Claw" (mainly GNW).

The Wot3K should be ideal for Sedgemoor, Barry has some PDF scenario packs one of which is the 1685 Argyll rising, but may be out of print now.

Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)