Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:16:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: PANZERKAPUT RIDES AGAIN – REVAMPING GANGS OF ROME  (Read 2788 times)

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
PANZERKAPUT RIDES AGAIN – REVAMPING GANGS OF ROME
« on: June 05, 2023, 10:09:41 AM »
The Start

I have build all of my buildings for Gangs of Rome and I have to say i was very please with them, but after 5 years and with fresh eyes, there are things that I was not totally happy with.

The first of these was the roofing. I have always wanted a better, nicer, a more realistic roof for the buildings rather than the plain MDF roof and I was never really happy with corrugated cardboard as it gets very easily damaged, so I put it on hold.

I few months ago I discovered on the Gangs of Rome Face Book Page a wonderful chap, Frank Sultana, who showed his method on this blog Adventures in Lead.

So armed with the information that frank had stated I went on the “ribbed” plastic kitchen drawer or fridge liner. You get some weird results when you do a google search but actually found is on Amazon, https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B096NX75YL?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I am sure there are different sizes of the ribs out there but I am lazy.

Once I had done the roof then I thought that the rest of the building will need a revamp too, weathering, little extras, that lived in look and using Sarissa[/url]https://sarissa-precision.com/collections/sarissa-stencil-system[/url] Stencils, to add a pathing effect to the plain street in front of the building, using a PVA/filler mix.

Well you will see the results as I am building a new table for Gangs of Rome 2, More information on this coming soon.

But please enjoy my journey into revamping Rome, By Jupiter!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 10:14:21 AM by PanzerKaput »

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
Re: PANZERKAPUT RIDES AGAIN – REVAMPING GANGS OF ROME
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2023, 10:16:07 AM »
The First Building

This is the start of the revamp journey but I have stupidly forgot to record the progress, but it was a test, I have recorded the progress on the next buildings.

I was actually very pleased with the results and now have decided that all my buildings need the roofing and street pathing revamp at the very least and the grime and dirt added to try the buildings together.

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2023, 10:22:35 AM »
Second Building and Guide to Roofing

I have finished the second revamped building using the EVA plastic fridge liners from Amazon and I think they can out much better than the corrugated cardboard as they are much strong and sturdier.

I cut them into 1cm wide stripes and laid then down so the next layer overlaps the layer below. Now these are not the best representation of Roman Pantiles as there is a short flat part between each rib but they are much better than the plain MDF roof from before.

Below is a small guide showing just how easy it is. I use contact adhesive to glue them down but it is messy, as PVA takes a day to dry.

The first image is the building before the revamp and see the roof has squares etching into it. I used these are a guide to help with placing the new tiles.

The image shows the EVA tiles placed and overlapping each other. With these tiles I actually cut them to 2cm in width not 1cm.

The third image shows them fully tiled.

The fourth shows them primed ready for painting. I have cheap car primer so the paint to stick to the plastic and not tub off.

Offline Rickf

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2023, 11:03:59 AM »
They are excellent. How did you paint the tiles, I looked at the sheets on Amazon and it said they were waterproof so I'm assuming you used a plastic primer?

Offline rumacara

• Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2023, 06:07:59 PM »
Great stuff on this thread. :-* :-* :-*
Keep it coming.

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2023, 06:30:16 AM »
They are excellent. How did you paint the tiles, I looked at the sheets on Amazon and it said they were waterproof so I'm assuming you used a plastic primer?

Yes I using Vallejo Black Polyurethane Primer and then painted and washed on top of them

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2023, 06:31:00 AM »
Great stuff on this thread. :-* :-* :-*
Keep it coming.
Thanks there and I will

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2023, 06:43:49 AM »
The Third Building Upgraded, The Foricae

This is the third building in the series and many that I have upgraded and revamped to hopefully improve the look of it. Dating back to the 2nd century BC, Roman public toilets, often built with donations from charitable upper-class citizens, were called foricae. These toilets consisted of dark rooms lined with benches dotted with key-shaped holes placed rather closely together. Romans therefore got pretty close and personal while using the foricae.

They were also never far from a large number of vermin, including rats and snakes. As a result, these dark and dirty places were rarely visited by women and certainly never by rich women.

Elite Romans had little need for public foricae, unless they were desperate. Instead, private toilets were built in upper-class homes called latrines, built over cesspools. Private latrines probably also smelt awful and so many wealthy Romans may have just used chamber pots, emptied by slaves.

I have upgraded the roof to add the fridge liner ribbed sheets for the tiles and have added a pavement using the Sarrisa stencils and a Polyfiller and PVA mix, to give it that 3D feel.

The first picture is before the upgrade.

The next picture we are starting to glue and lay the fridge liner tiles to the roof.

The third picture is more tiles added.

The fourth picture is the completed tiled roof.

The fifth picture has the ridge tiles being added.

The sixth picture shows what is used for the ridge tiles, the tubes from cotton buds, cut in 2 cm or so lengths and glued along the top of the roof.

The next set of pictures is how I painted the roof, which is very simple.

In the first image the tiles are primed black.

The second image I did a heavy drybrush of Vallejo Game Colour Scorched Earth

The third image I drybrushed Vallejo Game Colour Filthy Brown.

The fourth image I drybrushed Vallejo Game Colour Terracotta, to get it that red clay tile feel.

The fifth image I drybrushed Vallejo Game Colour Tan to highlight it.

The sixth image I put a wash of Vallejo Game Colour Wash first black and then sepia to make the colours richer.

Offline Rickf

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2023, 06:54:33 AM »
That's a great tutorial, thank you.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2023, 07:08:42 AM »
Great stuff - thanks for the detailed methods.

The before buildings are good, but the after ones are great!

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2023, 07:25:47 AM »
That's a great tutorial, thank you.
Its my pleasure

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2023, 07:28:13 AM »
Its my pleasure
Thanks there and I was pleased with them before but after seeing Furt amazing stuff, I needed to up my game and make a lovely board for GoR 2

Offline PanzerKaput

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2023, 06:26:32 AM »
Upgrading Market Stalls

Not just buildings I am upgrading but actually its the whole of my Gangs of Rome collection, so I have decided to show some love to the Market Stalls. Original I decided that I was not going to have them on bases so they can match the mate they are on.

But now after revamping some of the buildings and adding a pavement to the front of the shops, instead of the plain painted front I did before I have opted for the same for these.

So I used the Sarissa Stencil System, smoothing a polyfiller/PVA mix through the stencils and painted them to match the pavements in front of the buildings. I have it was the right thing to do as it brings some stability to the stalls and also means I can now add some other boxes and stuff to the bases.

The Market Stalls are 3D prints from Iron Gate Scenery.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2023, 06:44:13 PM »
A fabulous setup

Offline Freddy

• Mad Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2023, 07:55:25 PM »
This looks really cool!