Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:32:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690848
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Return to the Old World (Chaos Dwarf Update and Beastmen Beastlord)  (Read 4417 times)

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Return to the Old World (Hobgoblin Wolf Riders)
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2023, 08:13:36 AM »
Loving those Hobgob riders! I have enough Chaos Dwarfs for a number of units by now, but Hobgoblins are even harder to come by it seems, and just as expensive as the Dwarfs. But they also need larger units to work... ::)

I have only a few hobgob riders myself, but I'm not adverse to substituting them with 3rd party ones, especially when they're as close in appearance as these.

The same goes for Sneaky Gitz. They're probably my favourite unit in the army list, but they're just as expensive as the other hobgobs. I do have a solution for this though; Plastic Skaven Plague Priests. I got a whole bag of Sneaky Gitz resin head casts years back, and combined with a minimum of cutting and some small putty work, they make for excellent Sneaky Gitz. Especially when mixed with the few metal gitz I do have.

But here too, I'd be more than willing to throw in a bunch of 3D printed versions as well. I'm sure they would be just as close to the originals as all the other stand-ins you've shown so far.

Your paintjobs are pretty nice too btw. You manage to convey the feeling of the nineties army, without going over the top with ultra bright colours.

Please keep it up :)
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2023, 02:29:27 AM »
Loving those Hobgob riders! I have enough Chaos Dwarfs for a number of units by now, but Hobgoblins are even harder to come by it seems, and just as expensive as the Dwarfs. But they also need larger units to work... ::)

I have only a few hobgob riders myself, but I'm not adverse to substituting them with 3rd party ones, especially when they're as close in appearance as these.

The same goes for Sneaky Gitz. They're probably my favourite unit in the army list, but they're just as expensive as the other hobgobs. I do have a solution for this though; Plastic Skaven Plague Priests. I got a whole bag of Sneaky Gitz resin head casts years back, and combined with a minimum of cutting and some small putty work, they make for excellent Sneaky Gitz. Especially when mixed with the few metal gitz I do have.

But here too, I'd be more than willing to throw in a bunch of 3D printed versions as well. I'm sure they would be just as close to the originals as all the other stand-ins you've shown so far.

Your paintjobs are pretty nice too btw. You manage to convey the feeling of the nineties army, without going over the top with ultra bright colours.

Please keep it up :)

Thank you!  I do plan on adding some more hobgoblins and I’m with you.  Unless (highly doubtful) I can get a deal on the hobgoblin wolf rider archers and some infantry they’ll all be the Fabelzel sculpts.  He does have some good Sneaky Gitz options.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2023, 02:38:48 AM »
Wow, nice.
I've always dreamt of doing a hobgoblin army. I even had Gazak khan or the other one, at one stage and a bunch of sneaky gitz. Cool minis. Nicely done with these guys as well, they fit the bill nicely.

Offline voltan

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2023, 08:18:18 AM »
Your hob gobs do look good, I have wondered if the oathmark Orcs would be any good for hob gobs, not that I'm planning a chaos dwarf force... not yet anyway ;) Though I did see a painted unit of chaos dwarfs in cash generator's window yesterday, looked like metal ones too.
Yvan eht nioj!

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2023, 12:44:53 PM »
Wow, nice.
I've always dreamt of doing a hobgoblin army. I even had Gazak khan or the other one, at one stage and a bunch of sneaky gitz. Cool minis. Nicely done with these guys as well, they fit the bill nicely.

Thank you, the figures are really nice and about a quarter of the aftermarket prices these days so the dream can come true!  I have some plans to continuously grow the hobgoblins as the army gets larger. Might be enough for their own army eventually.

Your hob gobs do look good, I have wondered if the oathmark Orcs would be any good for hob gobs, not that I'm planning a chaos dwarf force... not yet anyway ;) Though I did see a painted unit of chaos dwarfs in cash generator's window yesterday, looked like metal ones too.

Funnily enough I had decided that I was going to make this Chaos Dwarf Army for Oathmark before the GW announcement of the Old World. This army will see the tabletop for for both games as it is!

I plan to use the Oathmark Goblin profiles for the hobgoblins and the Orc Warriors for the Black Orcs right now.  If I add some actual goblins I think I’ll use the slave profile to differentiate them from the hobgoblins (almost seems like the Oathmark list was set up for this! 😂).

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2023, 12:41:11 PM »
The Chaos Dwarfs have crossed a black orc with an ogre, what could possibly go wrong!?  I’m using this Knightmare Miniatures Ogrork as a unit filler for the black orcs:

A unit pic with him lurking:

When I started this Old World/Oathmark project I wasn’t going to revisit any older WFB armies I had done previously, but I couldn’t pass on these gors and the lure of Chaos is always strong.  I know these mono pose figures aren’t everyone’s favorites but I went for the nostalgia.  I inverted the cloth colors and changed the skin tones throughout to add a little variety. 

Online Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Return to the Old World (Black Orc Update and Beastmen Gors)
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2023, 01:09:23 PM »
The Black Ogrork actually reminds me of the Cyclops model from the Confrontation Mid-Nor line. Must be the mouth with too many teeth and the pose...

There was a time when I understood the necessity of monopose miniatures from a production point of view, but I didn't like the look of such uniform units on the table for units that are not, of their own accord, very uniform to begin with (like High Elves, or Empire). So I converted each and every single one of the minis in such units. Usually just small stuff like a swapped weapon, added pouch, different shield or reposed arm, but it kept me happy ::)

Recently though, I've found myself slowly being won over by them after all. Only took a couple of decades, but now I actually like the look of an entire monopose unit (with the exception of the command group, obviously).

And you've done a stellar job on them too!  :-*

Offline Luigi

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2023, 05:02:34 PM »
Absolutely love the unit filler!

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2023, 10:26:19 AM »
Your beastmen look great and am definitely a fan of the Ogrork. Great unit filler.
but I didn't like the look of such uniform units on the table for units that are not, of their own accord, very uniform to begin with (like High Elves, or Empire).
I was thinking on this some time ago and while I didn't question it as a kid buying my plastic sets of orcs, I now wonder why they didn't have those sets of 5 identical minis on a sprue as 5 slightly differently posed minis on a sprue. It would have been easily doable even with monopose. Maybe it was just a money saving way at the time. I still like those old plastic orcs too though.

Offline Constable Bertrand

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Make and Paint Blog
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2023, 11:28:09 AM »
They beasties and dwarves look great, wonderful painting.

The dwarves look especially mischievous.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2023, 12:03:35 PM »
I do like your muted pallet.  Very nice work all around.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2023, 01:58:40 PM »

Recently though, I've found myself slowly being won over by them after all. Only took a couple of decades, but now I actually like the look of an entire monopose unit (with the exception of the command group, obviously).

And you've done a stellar job on them too!  :-*

Thank you!  I agree that the monopose works better for the disciplined regiments but I’m glad you’ve been won over! 

Absolutely love the unit filler!

Thank you! 

Your beastmen look great and am definitely a fan of the Ogrork. Great unit filler.I was thinking on this some time ago and while I didn't question it as a kid buying my plastic sets of orcs, I now wonder why they didn't have those sets of 5 identical minis on a sprue as 5 slightly differently posed minis on a sprue. It would have been easily doable even with monopose. Maybe it was just a money saving way at the time. I still like those old plastic orcs too though.

I think that when these were released the regiments weren’t a large so maybe it wasn’t a huge issue?

They beasties and dwarves look great, wonderful painting.

The dwarves look especially mischievous.

Thank you!  The mischievous look is what really drew me to this project.

I do like your muted pallet.  Very nice work all around.

Thank you, I do try to get away from muted pallets but really struggle to get really vibrant colors to look right so wind up back in my comfort zone.

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2023, 02:09:14 PM »
An old Beastlord from GW to lead my slowly forming Beast of Chaos army from the forests of the Old World and will also use the Orc character stats in games of Oathmark eventually

I couldn’t help myself and picked up more Chaos Dwarf warriors.  I went with purple to represent this regiment as Hashut Temple Guards and Attendants of the upcoming Bull Centaurs, similar to the idea of the Roman Praetorian Guard.  The fact that the field troops I already painted are red just happens to be a happy accident (as Bob Ross would say).

These are the first 10, 10 more to go including the standard bearer and champion.

Offline Elk101

• Elder God
Re: Return to the Old World (Chaos Dwarf Update and Beastmen Beastlord)
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2023, 02:53:36 PM »
Very nice indeed.

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Return to the Old World (Chaos Dwarf Update and Beastmen Beastlord)
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2023, 03:06:18 PM »
Great stuff  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/